crank pulley removal with no trans?

wanna_b_03

Established Member
I'm in the middle of a twin turbo auto Swap. I sold the t56 and Jake's Performance is building me a th400. How can I remove the crank pulley with no trans in the car. I've got a nice IR impact and it's not bugging. Yes I know it's reverse threads. a-breaker bar obviously just turned the motor over And the impact isn't doing anything please help

Krueton

Established Member
If you still have your flywheel on then I would wedge a bar in there. I've used a small crowbar with a hook end wedged in the starter ring. I thread some of the trans bolts back into the block to hold the crowbar and keep it wedged. They also make ring gear holding blocks that bolt next to the flywheel. Be careful though, the bar usually goes flying when the pulley comes loose.

If you don't have the flywheel then you might need to get your flexplate early.

wanna_b_03

Established Member
If you still have your flywheel on then I would wedge a bar in there. I've used a small crowbar with a hook end wedged in the starter ring. I thread some of the trans bolts back into the block to hold the crowbar and keep it wedged. They also make ring gear holding blocks that bolt next to the flywheel. Be careful though, the bar usually goes flying when the pulley comes loose.

If you don't have the flywheel then you might need to get your flexplate early.

That should work perfect. Thanks!

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
Read the service manual. It shows the correct flywheel holding tool that is made by OTC or Rotunda.

oldmodman

Established Member
I just made a steel bar that bolts into the crankshaft flywheel mounting holes and reaches over to the bellhousing holes.
It's about 15 inches long. I just used a piece of scrap 1/8 by 2 steel strapping I had lying around.

Then I just used a propane torch and heated the center of the allen hole in the front pulley bearing mount until the factory bolt locking epoxy softens then it comes right out. Remember to turn it clockwise to remove it. backward from the way a normal bolt comes out. Didn't have to use an impact or even a very long breaker bar.

wanna_b_03

Established Member
I got it. Thanks guys

20140529_174938.jpg

20140529_175005.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread