crooked axle?

alex12gt

Established Member
+1^

I don't doubt for a min. you guy's alignment issues, but I find it hard to believe also that a few passes (or none in some cases) on mild 60' cars can bend the actual brackets, I think some looing into other areas might be in order.

As stated before....pulled them off an axle was even again so that tells me they are the issue and was push 600hp on mt street et pros and it was enough to bend an axle shaft

ModularSpeed

Suspension Guru
Established Member
I'm not writing a documentary here.. but it has been mentioned in other bent axle tube threads that a common denominator was relocation brackets. There was a recent one with a gentleman with welded axle tubes that still bent. It would take me about an hour to get a list of links on the issue.. but those who have been watching will probably agree.

Don't confuse twisting an axle tube, or twisting/bending an axle shaft, with bending a Relocation Bracket.

He is claiming he bent the actual bracket, which I highly doubt.

As for the axle being off, you guys have to keep in mind...if the LCA mount without the brackets is off ANY amount, that amount will be exaggerated as the LCA drops down.

As for them being off directly from BMR, who is to say the factory axles tubes are within .0001" in accuracy from the factory? If someone has the issue, and someone doesn't.....it isn't the brackets. Those laser cut plates are more precise than a very complex axle assembly.;-)

BHARRIS

FoMoCo
Established Member
I'm not writing a documentary here.. but it has been mentioned in other bent axle tube threads that a common denominator was relocation brackets. There was a recent one with a gentleman with welded axle tubes that still bent. It would take me about an hour to get a list of links on the issue.. but those who have been watching will probably agree.

As stated before....pulled them off an axle was even again so that tells me they are the issue and was push 600hp on mt street et pros and it was enough to bend an axle shaft

I was the one with welded axle tubes... once i go to the shop tomorrow i can take a pic of a bent/tweaked relocation bracket as well as a rearend with a twisted and bent rear end housing

alex12gt

Established Member
Don't confuse twisting an axle tube, or twisting/bending an axle shaft, with bending a Relocation Bracket.

As for the axle being off, you guys have to keep in mind...if the LCA mount without the brackets is off ANY amount, that amount will be exaggerated as the LCA drops down.

As for them being off directly from BMR, who is to say the factory axles tubes are within .0001" in accuracy from the factory? If someone has the issue, and someone doesn't.....it isn't the brackets. Those laser cut plates are more precise than a very complex axle assembly.;-)

So if I bolt the brackets up tomorrow and take measurements and its off what's your excuse going to be then I don't care what's wrong with them but when my axle is off that's an issue.....

downwardspiral

Hammerhead
Established Member

Yeah, but once the bracket bends, I would imagine thats when the problem starts. I would imagine ford tolerances are pretty tight. We're not talking aerospace where tenths come into play, but its sure as hell not a half inch off. most precision parts are .005 T.I.R.. dont straw man the argument here.

BHARRIS

FoMoCo
Established Member
imagine you put a wrench on a tight bolt, you push hard and it dosnt move.... so you put a pipe on the end of the wrench making it longer you push and the bolt spins easy. this is basicly what is going on

ModularSpeed

Suspension Guru
Established Member
So if I bolt the brackets up tomorrow and take measurements and its off what's your excuse going to be then I don't care what's wrong with them but when my axle is off that's an issue.....

I don't care what you do.

If you want to find out exactly what your issue is, you would simply check your wheel base with and without the brackets, or check your axle with a laser.

If the wheel base is off more than 1/16" side to side, then you may never end up knowing what the issue is.

An axle tube can move slightly, and it can have drastic effects. Ford can be on the "loose" end of their specs, and it will cause drastic changes in geometry when you modify the angles of the LCA.

Heck, the BMR brackets hardly have any "wiggle" room on the mounting bolts (to install them) and you could probably loosen the driver side, hold it back with pressure, re-tighten and change your measurement by 1/8" or so.... Try it.

Here is a picture, look at it and think about it. You would NEVER know there was an issue until you leave the red circle....yet, inches down, what happens? The red circle is turning clockwise about 1/8", same as what happens with a twisted tube....

offcenter_zps0d01544d.jpg

Things that make you go hmmm......

AlexGreenWheels, you should still refrain from stating that people bend the brackets. :poke:

alex12gt

Established Member
I don't care what you do.

If you want to find out exactly what your issue is, you would simply check your wheel base with and without the brackets, or check your axle with a laser.

If the wheel base is off more than 1/16" side to side, then you may never end up knowing what the issue is.

An axle tube can move slightly, and it can have drastic effects. Ford can be on the "loose" end of their specs, and it will cause drastic changes in geometry when you modify the angles of the LCA.

Heck, the BMR brackets hardly have any "wiggle" room on the mounting bolts (to install them) and you could probably loosen the driver side, hold it back with pressure, re-tighten and change your measurement by 1/8" or so.... Try it.

Here is a picture, look at it and think about it. You would NEVER know there was an issue until you leave the red circle....yet, inches down, what happens? The red circle is turning clockwise about 1/8", same as what happens with a twisted tube....

offcenter_zps0d01544d.jpg

Things that make you go hmmm......

AlexGreenWheels, you should still refrain from stating that people bend the brackets. :poke:

I would piss on it if was 1/16 or an 1/8 .5 and my drag wheel eating paint of my fender lip is another story .......no longer have the green wheels and axle is straight was welded in a jig after the fact and if you don't care what I do then beat it

ModularSpeed

Suspension Guru
Established Member
Yeah, but once the bracket bends, I would imagine thats when the problem starts. I would imagine ford tolerances are pretty tight. We're not talking aerospace where tenths come into play, but its sure as hell not a half inch off. most precision parts are .005 T.I.R.. dont straw man the argument here.

You need to think outside that box of yours, seriously.

Yes, we are talking precise here, because the brackets ar dropping the mounting point down INCHES, which turns .005 into .250..........

Look at the picture I posted.

If the factory LCA mount was rotated slightly when welded from the factory, no one would ever know. Extend it down 3", then you'll know, even if it's off a tenth of an inch...

ModularSpeed

Suspension Guru
Established Member
I would piss on it if was 1/16 or an 1/8 .5 and my drag wheel eating paint of my fender lip is another story .......no longer have the green wheels and axle is straight was welded in a jig after the fact and if you don't care what I do then beat it

Gotcha.

Good luck!

alex12gt

Established Member
shouldnt the brackets also compensate for the drop i get the fact that as the lca drops in a staight line the length gets shorter but arnt the brackets slightly angled forward slightly to make up for the angle of the lca

twistedneck

Established Member
what is the point of these relocation brackets? if its to stop wheel hop, they are not needed because the stiffer upper link, lowered suspension, and stiffer lower control arms and bushings handle that just fine. No Wheel hop at all for me.

If you are trying to add anti - squat to hit the tires super hard with an automatic car, and peel 0.1 sec. off your 60' time that's fine, but these are not necessary unless you have a wheel hop issue with sticky tires and you have already done the above..

Good thread though, I gotta weld up my axle tubes!

Last edited:

mooosestang

Established Member
what is the point of these relocation brackets? if its to stop wheel hop, they are not needed because the stiffer upper link, lowered suspension, and stiffer lower control arms and bushings handle that just fine. No Wheel hop at all for me.

If you are trying to add anti - squat to hit the tires super hard with an automatic car, and peel 0.1 sec. off your 60' time that's fine, but these are not necessary unless you have a wheel hop issue with sticky tires and you have already done the above..

The point is to improve the angle of the lower control arms after the car is lowered. They move the instant center back towards the front of the car.

They noticeably improve the ride quality. If your car is not lowered and it's not a race car, then there isn't much point in using them. They improve the ride quality on a lowered car, but on a stock height car, they'd probably make it ride worse because the lca angle would be ridiculous and your instant center would be in your back seat

I sure stirred up a sh!t storm. I'd just recommend anyone wanting relocation brackets to also purchase adjustable lca's because your axle could be crooked..

BHARRIS

FoMoCo
Established Member

the point of the brackets is to correct the instant center... imaninary line where upper and lower control arms meet... should idealy be right around the shifter

grnenvy

Established Member
The brackets are pretty stout, I would be pretty impressed if they were bent.
I'm thinking something else is bent and lowering the arms down to the ground is exacerbating things. U have something bent, u just need to get under the car with a tape measure and figure it out.

Users who are viewing this thread