Cross country road-trip in the GT500

GOTSVT?

This Is Absolution
Established Member
Look forward to the updates!
Safe travels, and enjoy the vacation food binging. Just came off a week of it myself!

Live Faster

Need for SPEED!!!
Established Member
Full bumper, 1/4 hood, rear view mirrors, 1/4 of the fenders, headlights, fogs, and I also did the rear lower quarter panels.

Manuel

With the fenders and hood being a 1/4 done is very noticeable? I was afraid it would be that's why I opted out and just did the full hood.

Black Thunder 715

Established Member
Very swwweet OP. I wish I could do something like that. Just to let you know, I too have a V1 and most of the time I turn off K band because of the many false signals. X band is permanently off btw. But in many counties and municipalities, LEOs still use K band so be careful and enjoy the trip with your beautiful wife. I wish I could eat like that too!

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Where did you all put the clear bra on? I'm gettin it done right now and went with bumper,grill and all of the hood except the stripes.

Just did mine last week. Car has 2000 miles and I had about 6 chips showing. I decided I would rather deal with potential yellow film in 5+ years than a front end full of chips.

I touched up the chips and used a razor blade to scrape across the top of them removing the excess paint after they had dried for a few minutes. Worked really well. You can only find one chip now.

I did 3M on bumper, leading edge of hood and fenders and mirrors. Cost was $500.

Tom

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
Thanks for posting. Except for the lack of storage space my car is great for road trips. My husband and I have been down to visit his parents in Key West twice and plan to take the car up to Pennslyvania next month, hitting the Blueridge Pky, Skyline Dr and Tail of the Dragon. I hope to get some good photos along the way. Is Beth planning to do any driving? My car is my daily driver but my husband usually does all the driving when we go down to Key West. I'm looking forward to driving in the mountains next month, especially Tail of the Dragon. I'll follow your progress.

Maybe, especially if I keep having sleep issues. She has a '14 GT, but she drives the GT500 on occasion. I'm a pain as a passenger though, so I don't think she's dying to drive, lol. The tail should be a blast. I took my '12 down HWY1, and on those curves it's a joy to drive.

Nice! I'll have to follow this.

I just pulled off a Virginia Beach to Nashville to OK to Amarillo to Denver roadtrip to relocate. I averaged 18-19 cruising between 90 and 100 through part of Tennessee and about 21 total average. On a lightly travelled turnpike in Oklahoma I hit 165 with the splitter on, which was my max speed during the trip. The car felt very stable. I absolutely loved cruising at 2,000 rpm going 100 in 6th gear so I now call 6th "super-cruise" like the F-22 raptor.

I regret driving through Arkansas on I-40, it's a complete cluster F and slowed me down dramatically. That state has had I-40 screwed up since at least 2003 when I made my first trip east.

Thanks for posting this and good luck on the trip!

For those who are NOT going on roadtrips in your Shelby you are missing out BIG time! These cars are a complete blast on the open road!

Totally agree, the thing is a blast to drive on roadtrips, though I highly suggest removing the splitter. I've hit a lot of places so far where it scrubs even without the splitter despite going in at an angle.

OP, just out of curiosity...do you have a clear bra?

Manuel

I hope so or its going to be rock chip city. Not getting one was the biggest mistake I made. Every time I drive it seems like I get a new chip. I've stopped counting...

No, no clear bra. Honestly, I don't let that bother me. It's not going to stay perfect no matter what, I just take reasonable care of it and fix things when/if they need it.

Very swwweet OP. I wish I could do something like that. Just to let you know, I too have a V1 and most of the time I turn off K band because of the many false signals. X band is permanently off btw. But in many counties and municipalities, LEOs still use K band so be careful and enjoy the trip with your beautiful wife. I wish I could eat like that too!

Yea, I'm thinking of re-enabling K tomorrow, since I passed some troopers in AZ and nothing chirped on Ka. However, in NM, they all seem to be running Ka again, so I'm tempted to leave K off.

To everyone else, thanks for all of the well-wishes, it's been a lot of fun so far, and I'm glad everyone is getting a kick out of it. :)

dom418

Established Member
This is great! I'm so envious! How is the comfort level inside the Shelby? I know my back hurts if I'm driving for more than 2 hrs. It looks like your seats are the non recaro correct? I've heard those are more comfortable. Let's see some more pics of the Shelby please!

ponygirl06

Established Member
This is great! I'm so envious! How is the comfort level inside the Shelby? I know my back hurts if I'm driving for more than 2 hrs. It looks like your seats are the non recaro correct? I've heard those are more comfortable. Let's see some more pics of the Shelby please!

My regular seats are comfortable on 6-8 hour road trips and the heated seats are nice in a convertible. I'm only 5' 4" and my husband is 5' 7", I've heard size matters when it come to the comfort in Recaros. The power part of the regular seats is an advantage to me because my husband likes to drive my car on weekends and I need the seat pretty close to the dash in order to get the clutch all the way in. I wish our cars had knee airbags like the 2015 Mustangs have.

paluka21

Established Member
My regular seats are comfortable on 6-8 hour road trips and the heated seats are nice in a convertible. I'm only 5' 4" and my husband is 5' 7", I've heard size matters when it come to the comfort in Recaros. The power part of the regular seats is an advantage to me because my husband likes to drive my car on weekends and I need the seat pretty close to the dash in order to get the clutch all the way in. I wish our cars had knee airbags like the 2015 Mustangs have.

Yes, when I sit in Recaro seats, I'm only comfortable for about 15-20 minutes before I start hurting. I'm over 6'2 and at times around 220lbs and the Recaro seats make my legs feel pinched together, and hurt my rear-end after a long trip.

BOSSPOWER

Established Member

Hi,

I am 5'7" also and had Recaro's in my old Boss…can't say enough good things about them, I have done 4 hr road trips with no issues, mind you I have back surgery in L2-L3 plus neck surgery C5-C6 from my wrestling injuries. On the other had my GF has a CLA250 (these seats look amazing) and in her car after 30min my back is already aching. Recaro's fit like a glove :)

Manuel

bpmurr

Established Member
No, no clear bra. Honestly, I don't let that bother me. It's not going to stay perfect no matter what, I just take reasonable care of it and fix things when/if they need it.

Good to hear, I felt the same way too. I'm just going to repaint the bumper at some point and then do the clear bra. Enjoy your trip! :)

NetworkingGuru

Established Member

The comfort level is actually really good. I had the Recaro's in my 2012, but I have the base seats in the '14. I actually thought the Recaros were really comfortable, even on long trips, but my wife hated them. She always ended up with horrible neck pain, so when I went looking for this one, I specifically went for the standard seats. So far, she's completely pain free after 12+ hours in the seat for days on end.

Oh, and we are trying to get more Shelby pics up. She's got a number that need levels adjusted in Photoshop, so as soon as she gets time to do that I'll post them up. :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread