Cupped Tires, anyone else get them?

Aussie

Established Member
I've had my 2003 coupe for about 6 weeks. Over that time this deep vibration coming from the left front wheel seems to have got louder.

I can only hear it at low speeds (<20mph).

A mate was in the car today and claimed that the noise was a cupped tire.
Aparrently it is caused by uneven tire ware.

The car has crappy khumo ecsta all season tires on it, they are 275/40 R17. Have a 420 tread ware rating.

Do I need a wheel alignment or new shocks?
or does this just tend to happen on cars with stiff suspension?

Cheers,
Rhys

XyX

Still in the game.
Established Member
bring it in to a trusted shop and have them check your wheels balance and alignment. Those two things should narrow it down somewhat.

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
I went to firestone and got their lifetime alignment.. every 10K miles I get it re-aligned or if I hit a big pothole etc.. should have gotten it earlier, and saved the life of my tires over the years..

getTwisted

I Remember My First Beer.
Established Member
get your wheels balanced first...if that doesn't fix it, send it in for an alignment and let the mechanic check it out real good....

only take it to a trusted mechanic.

BigSweezey

&lt;insert witty title here&gt;
Established Member
Tires getting "cupped" is caused by an alignment issue, that causes the tires to wear uneven. Pretty much once they get to a point you have to just break down and buy new tires.

Aussie

Established Member
I thought I might put the cupped tire on the back and do a burnout. If that doesn't fix it then I'll get some new tires.

Just don't want the new tires to end up the same way. I will get an alignment and balance done.

I just can't picture how an alignment problem causes cupping. I thought the tire would need to bounce.

Any tips for inspecting/evaluating the strut and shock?

Last edited:

mitrls10

"Torqued Motorsports"
Established Member
Excessive camber, wheel dynamic inbalance, and worn struts, ball joints, control bushings can cause it. You jounce each corner of the car and if it rebounds up to 2 times they are fine.. 3 times they are weak, more than 3 times they need to be replaced..

KILRSVT

Established Member
my kumho ecsta did the same thing in the front....my sumihomo's have no uneven cupping or wear..been on for over 5k. i am getting an alignment as well though in the near future.

MrSwa

Established Member
Really depends on what you are calling a cupped tire. It sounds like it was due to tire inflation. Check out the pictures below. Check your tire pressure, but if the tire's too far gone, just replace it. It can be very dangerous running on a damaged tire.
Bad_Alignment.jpg

Overinflated.jpg

Underinflated.jpg

Sheffism

Heathen
Established Member
Get alignment (4 Wheel)

Mine did it to 2 sets of BFG's. Took it to Ford with new tires and told them to fix it. Did a 4 wheel alignment. 4 hours later done. The guy had to drill the front strut camber plates and re rivet to get correct angles. Have 18,000 miles and all is good.

red91stang13

Established Member
If you dont rotate your tires they will cup no matter if your alignment is good or not. If they are severely cupped they will make a roaring noise when you are driving, but it could also be a wheel bearing.

Stangman@SM

UBENB10
Established Member
I have noticed the exact same problem with my car. I just spent the last couple of hours tonight trying to figure out what i was hearing on my car. At exactly 20mph and less, I get a horrible vidration that I can feel in the steering wheel, brake pedal and shifter. Actually throughout the whole car. I just had all the bearings in my rearend changed this week. Changed the front hubs and new rotors and pads on all 4 corners and still a bad vibration. I determined tonight I think it is my BFG KDWS II tires.
I think I will have them dismounted and changed over from side to side and see if that helps. We will see.

Users who are viewing this thread