Curious about mile times for running.

xtremeskime21

Established Member
I am 29 1/2 and I workout at work every third day (firefighter 24 on 48 off). I have kids and don't get much accomplished at home in the workout dept. I started doing a timed mile every other duty day. The day in between I do anywhere between 3-5 miles on treadmill/eliptical. Today I hit exactly 6 minutes in my mile. I hope to break the 6 minute mark next thursday.:banana: Thought it was a decent time for my age, what's everyone else running a mile in if you've attempted it recently?

jpro

Disoriented Poster
Established Member
That is extremely good. I average 9-10 minutes per mile when I run but I run for distance, not speed. If I were to only do a couple miles I could do 7 minutes but I doubt I could do 6. Try going off the machine and hitting the street or a trail and I think your time would increase. Running on a machine is not as difficult imo. I also don't think it is entirely accurate either. Have u thought about doing a 5k? Sounds like you are in shape to compete.

Last edited:

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
I just ran a 17:30 3 mile 2 days ago for our PFT so 5:50 a mile. That's 4 minutes off my usual time of 21:30 and and 2 1/2 minutes off my previous best time. It was a new course to me and a nice day so I had more energy than usual. For me it all depends on the course and weather and how I'm feeling of course, I'm just not a very consistent runner. I would say I'll probably never run a 17:30 again unless it's on that course with decent weather. Your time seems to be pretty good though if you're almost under 6 minutes per mile. If you keep it up you're going to be well under that in no time. We had a 29 year old run a 16:05, but he's like 6'3 and 135lbs so I'd hope he could at least run that fast cause he's weak in just about everything else.

The fastest guy ran a 15:45 which is insane.

Last edited:

xtremeskime21

Established Member
I just ran a 17:30 3 mile 2 days ago for our PFT so 5:50 a mile. That's 4 minutes off my usual time of 21:30 and and 2 1/2 minutes off my previous best time. It was a new course to me and a nice day so I had more energy than usual. Your time seems to be pretty good though if you're almost under 6 minutes per mile. If you keep it up you're going to be well under that in no time. We had a 29 year old run a 16:05, but he's like 6'3 and 135lbs so I'd hope he could at least run that fast cause he's weak in just about everything else.

The fastest guy ran a 15:45 which is insane.

Wow that's awesome! Yeah I'm not the typical runners body, I was a soccer player throughout my life. I'm 5'11" and 177lbs. I challenged a guy here at work who was in cross country to match my time, he did. He's 6'4" 190. Now I have to kill it next time!:beer:

juzlookzfazt

Established Member
Impressive! I'm 5 8 @ 225 lbs, mostly fat lol, and average my mile in about 8 minutes on a day where I feel up to it and 9 to 10 on others. Six is impressive! I hope to reach that soon.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Wow that's awesome! Yeah I'm not the typical runners body, I was a soccer player throughout my life. I'm 5'11" and 177lbs. I challenged a guy here at work who was in cross country to match my time, he did. He's 6'4" 190. Now I have to kill it next time!:beer:

In the Marines we do a lot of running but it's in a lot of different forms, usually weighted. I'm 5'8 about 165 and I weigh in at almost 230lbs with my flak, pistol and rifle with 8 full rifle mags and 4 pistol. Just about every day for two weeks out of the month I have to run A LOT with all this on and it includes stairs and a gas mask sometimes. So one thing you might want to try is running weighted. It tears you up but it will make you a much better runner when you don't have that weight. Being a firefighter I'm sure you're used to it, but try training more often with the extra weight.

Last edited:

04GTMustang

Established Member
Not bad. A few years ago when I was in high school I did the mile in the high 4's to low 5's and my 3.1 mile was a low 17 min. Low low 30's to high 20's for an 8K (5 miles). Then again I'm 135-140 lbs 5'11.

Anything in the 5 minute range is very very quick. Even 6's is quick!

scottminot

Established Member
I've always been a horrible runner. I served 4 years in the Marine Corps Infantry so I ran a lot but constantly dropped back on runs. I just could not improve no matter how hard I tried. I think my average PFT run time was in the high 23 minute range.

We had guy that would run the 3 miles in 14 minutes. He was a marathon runner. Guy was insane.

91Man

Established Member
Few yrs back i was doing 5:28 mile and 52.1 best 400. Im 6'1" and was 175 then but now im 195 and dont run any more. 6 o's is very good for your age and amount you are doing but as suggested get out to the local HS track and get timed. Good luck

THE_STIG

Established Member
I always measure myself by mile and a half (Air Force standards). I run that in about 12mins at a slow jog.

FX4 SAPPER

Established Member
Im sitting at low 8 right now, i used to be able to run a 12:35 2 mile in the Army but getting out of shape and laziness hinders that. i ran 2 miles yesterday in 17:00 flat but id like to get at or below 15 in case i ever decide to re enlist. Running on a treadmill is easier for some, for me its more difficult, idk why but i get ADD when i run on the treadmill. Running is 90% mental and for me i have to have air moving and different scenery.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
Not bad!!!

My best mile I've ever recorded was in HS in weight class. I ran a 6:10, a guy on the track team was running in the 4:30's:( I'm currently into biking, but plan on doing a triathlon someday so I need to get back into running. I bet if I tried right now, I'd be around the 7-8 min mark.

My girlfriend is only 5'1" and had the school record in the 2 mile @ 12:07 for track. I think her best 1 mile was in the 5:45 range??? Either way, shorty was a fast runner!

Common

Established Member
7:30 at a healthy pace, 9mins at a normal comfortable pace. Anything bellow 7 flat is moving big time.

zerocool

Douchy McDoucherson
Established Member
I ran 5:51 in high school during a fitness test. I absolutely detest long distance running and I'm fairly certain I could have ran faster than that, but I was never good at pushing myself unless I was in a meet and then the longest I ever ran was the 400 (hated that race too). Last time I ran on a treadmill it was 7:20 but I wasn't killing it. I'm 6'0 ~168 and a crap ton softer than I was in high school so I highly doubt I could come anywhere near a 6 flat mile, that's really dang good.

xtremeskime21

Established Member
Not bad!!!

My best mile I've ever recorded was in HS in weight class. I ran a 6:10, a guy on the track team was running in the 4:30's:( I'm currently into biking, but plan on doing a triathlon someday so I need to get back into running. I bet if I tried right now, I'd be around the 7-8 min mark.

My girlfriend is only 5'1" and had the school record in the 2 mile @ 12:07 for track. I think her best 1 mile was in the 5:45 range??? Either way, shorty was a fast runner!

Yeah, in high school it was a different story for me too. Best I ever ran it was after senior year soccer season. I recorded a 5:08.
I think I'm going to try running with weight on next day (airpack or something) when I do my longer distance and see if that helps. Mind you I just started timing myself two weeks ago. I've already improved 13 seconds!

Socal Mach

300+ club
Established Member
I ran a 10:30ish for the 1.5 mile prt a couple weeks ago, that's a 7 min. pace. I'm 5'11" @ 185 and 37 yrs. I could have done faster but I don't really care anymore about time.

OU812

Established Member
I just did my fit test (Air Force) and ran a 10:09 1.5 mile, I used to be faster but I have had 3 knee surgeries now and can't seem to break back into the 9's.

Riddla

It's for your own protection
Established Member
you guys probably run out of steam after the 3rd mile. That's not how it works
5 miles in just a tick under 36 mins is where its at

edit, this is on legs only not on johnson

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread