Curious about mile times for running.

rezarxt

free pizza man
Established Member
Well my 2 mile time is about 13:50-13:55 on a good day. So I figure if I was running a mile I could do it in 6:30 fairly easily. This has taken a lottt of running to get me to this. Im not a natural runner.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
For long distance runs (10-13 miles) I average an 8.75 mile. For shorter runs (3-5 miles) I pace myself usually at a 8.0 - 8.5 minute mile. I actually didn't even start running until I was 50. My daughter runs a 7 minute mile. She could do a 6 minute mile if she pushed herself. My age is a restriction now, but my goal this year is to run a 7.5 minute mile. I admire you guys who run anywhere near a 5-6 minute mile. That is moving out.

Just out of curiosity, post up your ages when you post your times. I'm 62.

Sniperdog

Less than Premium Member
Established Member
I'm with Bob on the averages :), but I can run a 1 mile in high 6's, I just don't want to lol

Sent with Riddla's massive johnson

BriansZ

Established Member
I've been running for a while now, since the '90s. I'm 33, 5'9", about 180 and can still run a sub-6 at the end of a long run. My joints protest until I get a couple of miles in and they're warmed up. If I just did a mile without a warm-up I doubt I'd be any faster than 6. I typically do a mix of regular runs with some interval days thrown in. For example, last weekend I did 8 400s, and the avg. pace was around a 6 min/mile pace even with the shorter intervals. Today I'm doing my long run, 12 miles at around a 9:30 pace. My typical runs that are 4 - 6 miles are usually a high 8 min pace.

When I used to run 5Ks they usually called out your time at the first mile. I wasn't competitive, I just did it for the fun and the free shirts, but with the adrenaline I'd usually blow through the first mile in 5:30 - 5:40, and then be hurting on the last mile. I used to finish with an avg around 6:20 - 6:30 (around a 20 min total for the 5k). Even though I was pretty good at setting my pace on regular runs, with the people and the adrenaline I never could get it right during races.

99GTvert

Established Member
Yeah, in high school it was a different story for me too. Best I ever ran it was after senior year soccer season. I recorded a 5:08.
I think I'm going to try running with weight on next day (airpack or something) when I do my longer distance and see if that helps. Mind you I just started timing myself two weeks ago. I've already improved 13 seconds!

I dont think I would jog with a pack on, seems like it would destroy your knees! If I work out with one on, I usually do a stair climb or walk on a treadmill at a steep angle. Do it on air and just go until it runs out. At the very least you'll get a really good idea of just how long you can stretch a bottle under moderate exertion.

xtremeskime21

Established Member
I dont think I would jog with a pack on, seems like it would destroy your knees! If I work out with one on, I usually do a stair climb or walk on a treadmill at a steep angle. Do it on air and just go until it runs out. At the very least you'll get a really good idea of just how long you can stretch a bottle under moderate exertion.

Yeah I'll probably use the airpack for my eliptical portion of the work out. I don't know if I'll go on air. We have annual testing that gives us our on-air times under exertion. We do normal fire scene tasks/stations. Definetely want to preserve the knees!!

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
In the Marines we do a lot of running but it's in a lot of different forms, usually weighted. I'm 5'8 about 165 and I weigh in at almost 230lbs with my flak, pistol and rifle with 8 full rifle mags and 4 pistol. Just about every day for two weeks out of the month I have to run A LOT with all this on and it includes stairs and a gas mask sometimes. So one thing you might want to try is running weighted. It tears you up but it will make you a much better runner when you don't have that weight. Being a firefighter I'm sure you're used to it, but try training more often with the extra weight.

+1. I do alot of ruchmarches(60+lbs) and IBA runs(30lbs). I throw in alot of long distance as well as I'm training to go rim to rim at the Grand Canyon(40+ miles) in the spring of 2012. Having the extra weight does bring down my 1-5 mile times pretty drastically. The body gets used to moving fast with all that weight plus the restriction the IBA puts on your lungs when its pulled tight makes you very fast during a PT test.

I ran a 8.42 1.5 mile a couple weeks ago. My goal is to run a 12 flat 2 mile next week. Running a sub 18.00 3 mile is very fast so kudos to you. A 15.xx is ridiculous for a 3 mile.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
I just ran a 17:30 3 mile 2 days ago for our PFT so 5:50 a mile. That's 4 minutes off my usual time of 21:30 and and 2 1/2 minutes off my previous best time. It was a new course to me and a nice day so I had more energy than usual. For me it all depends on the course and weather and how I'm feeling of course, I'm just not a very consistent runner. I would say I'll probably never run a 17:30 again unless it's on that course with decent weather. Your time seems to be pretty good though if you're almost under 6 minutes per mile. If you keep it up you're going to be well under that in no time. We had a 29 year old run a 16:05, but he's like 6'3 and 135lbs so I'd hope he could at least run that fast cause he's weak in just about everything else.

The fastest guy ran a 15:45 which is insane.
Usually when units do the PFT the route varies from 2.8 miles to 3.2 miles. So you probably did a 2.8 mile PFT route if your usual time was 21:30.

How do I know? Because I run consistent low 19's for my 3 mile and when the route was done by our S3 it was a 2.8 and I ran a 16:47. I was second place and the first place guy was high 15 minutes.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
In the Marines we do a lot of running but it's in a lot of different forms, usually weighted. I'm 5'8 about 165 and I weigh in at almost 230lbs with my flak, pistol and rifle with 8 full rifle mags and 4 pistol. Just about every day for two weeks out of the month I have to run A LOT with all this on and it includes stairs and a gas mask sometimes. So one thing you might want to try is running weighted. It tears you up but it will make you a much better runner when you don't have that weight. Being a firefighter I'm sure you're used to it, but try training more often with the extra weight.
What is your MOS? In infantry units, the only guys that carried an m9 were saw gunners and Platoon Commanders/Platoon Sergeants.
Did you also carry an m4?

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Usually when units do the PFT the route varies from 2.8 miles to 3.2 miles. So you probably did a 2.8 mile PFT route if your usual time was 21:30.

How do I know? Because I run consistent low 19's for my 3 mile and when the route was done by our S3 it was a 2.8 and I ran a 16:47. I was second place and the first place guy was high 15 minutes.

It was a 3.1 mile course to be exact I believe. The factor that changed everything was that it had a slight downhill grade to it for a short section. It was more of a mental boost than anything. Once you got on that downhill portion you just started booking for it cause you knew there was where your advantage was.

What is your MOS? In infantry units, the only guys that carried an m9 were saw gunners and Platoon Commanders/Platoon Sergeants.
Did you also carry an m4?

I'm an 0311/8154, M9 and M4 with suppressor (heavy and awkward by the way!);-)

Last edited:

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
I'm used to be an 0311 and i never heard of 8154, maybe i heard of it, but cant remember.

1st civ div!

8154 is a CQB shooter. It's designed and primarily designated for us RTT guys in Security Forces. We come to the fleet and no one likes us cause we're SF but we teach you guys some badass room clearing tactics... apparently it's all we're good for.:lol1:

heywaitfourme

Established Member
I've just started running again, and have managed to keep around an 8 minute mile pace for every run so far. I used to run 2 miles in 10:30, but I only ran 2 miles. I'm currently running distances, but I have yet to track down the actual distance or time. I found that if I just RUN, for the fun of it, I enjoy it more. When I track times, and distances, I always feel like I'm competing and then I don't seem to enjoy my runs as much, and then I don't feel as relaxed.

Keep up the good work.

GBNFG 03 DSG

Established Member
I run a 13:20 mile and a half for the AF PT. I do weigh 255lbs and trying to loose some weight. I suck at running.

SVT4ME

Established Member
Am 45 and run four miles four times a week. First two in 8:00 and the second two in 7:30. Am training for the Las Vegas Rock n Roll 1/2 marathon in December. I'll bump up my distance soon. In high school I did a best 1600 meter in 4:27 and 5K in 16:23. Time takes it's toll.

95PGTTech

Established Member
I was one of those freaks in HS. 15:43 best 5K (3.1miles). I still do run an occasional 5K for charity events, etc. when sponsored and I'll do a 17 and change. A couple ankle surgeries from running at that competitive level for so long does that to you, as others said time as well (26 now). 6'3", 160lbs.

The one mile time you posted is very respectable for a non-competitive runner (assuming you clocked this on foot and not machine).

zPipes

Established Member
When I was in High School I was running just a hair over 5 minutes. I think best was 5:07. That was 14 yrs ago tho, I have no idea what I could do now, I wouldnt even try. I wonder how long it would take to train to get under a 6 minute mile. I think 6 and under would be good for our age, 7 not too bad, 8 or more.. at least your doing it.

Stretching is the key, before and after running. Its best to actually do some walking after the run for a 'cooldown' then stretch. This will help the joints, ligaments and tendons.

Users who are viewing this thread