Custom Twin Turbo 5.0 F150 Project

Troponin

Established Member
You ever chassis dyno you truck or take it down the track yet ?

I may do a Roush TVS set up down the road. I liked my Roush TVS I had in my 2013 Mustang GT that I traded to get my new F150.

No. It's actually in the shop as we speak having it installed, along with a few other goodies. I have seen a couple dynographs and they put down around 425hp to the wheels with the ROUSH tuning. From my understanding though, the two biggest gripes were the lack of removing the factory 95mph limiter and the shift points, from what people have experienced, stay the same as stock. It's a real game changer tuning these truck transmissions.

TVSF150FX4

Established Member
What does your 150 look like ?

Is it a regular cab with a 6.6 bed ?

4wd ?

Does the header back whole length performance exhaust make a huge difference ?

He has a crew cab 4x4
Headers on this trucks make a big difference power wise 30-40rwhp easy and about .2's .... Those log manifolds are very restrictive

BSB318

Established Member
Wow thats huge for just headers..

How much power do you think the 150 5.0 engine loses vs the mustang 5.0 engine due to the 1/2 point lower in compression and the intake cam difference for the f150 ?

I guess the cast exhaust manifolds and different tune account for much of the 360hp (f150) vs 420hp (mustang) stock ratings difference.

Last edited:

mechanicboy

Established Member
Wow thats huge for just headers..

How much power do you think the 150 5.0 engine loses vs the mustang 5.0 engine due to the 1/2 point lower in compression and the intake cam difference for the f150 ?

I guess the cast exhaust manifolds and different tune account for much of the 360hp (f150) vs 420hp (mustang) stock ratings difference.

Lower compression is minimal losses especially for power adder applications like blowers and turbos. The intake cams are about 30-50rwhp depending on how much you are adding. The OP I'm sure is using the mustang cam in the twins build.

mechanicboy

Established Member
He has a crew cab 4x4
Headers on this trucks make a big difference power wise 30-40rwhp easy and about .2's .... Those log manifolds are very restrictive

Yes. Even N/A I'd recommend headers. The OP seems to have built some pretty sweet custom headers for the turbos. I can't wait to see a dyno graph of this setup.

BSB318

Established Member
Realistically if I did the Stainless works long tube headers with a stainless works full length (true dual) exhaust and cold air with a 93 octane safe custome tune what kind of power can I make to the tires N/A with stock cams ?
What times could I potentially run N/A based on my plan ?

If I decided to do a Roush TVS with a custom safe 93 octane tune and stick with stock cams but do the entire exhaust as listed above then what can I expect to the tires ?
What times could I do potentially run if I decide to go this route ?

If I did the Roush then thats as sick as I will go unless I do the black & blown twin turbo set up.
No custom cams or engine builds for me.
My wife is already having a stroke with my new truck purchase so I can only imagine what she will say to my future possibilities.

klcmcse

Established Member
Black n Blown Sir, you are a metal artist. Beautiful work, I am an AWS weld inspector in military jet fab. Pretty awesome!
I have a '13 F150 5.0 extended cab tow package, I am going to TVS the stock motor and still trying to figure out which Circle D TQ and some way to make it hook up.
My electronic 3.55 Locking diff unlocks about 20-25MPH, I hope the custom tune can keep both wheels in the game when it gets time for a custom tune.......Again nice artwork!
Kev

TVSF150FX4

Established Member
I
Black n Blown Sir, you are a metal artist. Beautiful work, I am an AWS weld inspector in military jet fab. Pretty awesome!
I have a '13 F150 5.0 extended cab tow package, I am going to TVS the stock motor and still trying to figure out which Circle D TQ and some way to make it hook up.
My electronic 3.55 Locking diff unlocks about 20-25MPH, I hope the custom tune can keep both wheels in the game when it gets time for a custom tune.......Again nice artwork!
Kev

If this is ur daily driver, send ur converter to circle D and have them beef it up but keep stock stall.....TVS doesn't need a stall , there's very little benefit cause ur at full boost so quickly only a .1-.2 at the track.... But DD sufferers a lot even more if u tow with the truck mpg goes down...... I know from experience

BSB318

Established Member
Kev

I can 2nd that fact about a Roush TVS blower giving boost and lots of power right away.
I installed a Roush TVS on my 2013 Mustang GT with a stock converter , stock headers and stock cats with stock 3.15 gears.
This car was a monster off the line.
It ran 10.83 at 129.61 mph with a 1.59 60 ft. time as my daily driver with a safe and conservative 93 octane tune.
Still got 26 mph gallon on the highway with cruise control set at 67 mph.
All this was because of the stock stall converter.

BTW - I ran my 10.83 against another 2013 Mustang GT with a paxton centrifigal style supercharger who ran 11.01 at 131.02 mph with a 1.87 60 ft. time.
Just proves how you don't need a higher stall and steep gears with these TVS blowers.
That converter is your fuel economy.

You can check out my thread 2 topics below this 1 if your curious about my Mustang that I had and traded to get my F150.

Last edited:

Black n Blown

Established Member
Almost done

54E083F1-5175-471C-9807-479B28144F41_zpsttcuplfy.jpg

FE766512-515D-49B8-AEC7-0AC6A1C67DDA_zpsksgil7hg.jpg

77FA05A6-4483-40FC-9013-5556D789FA0B_zps6xi77llp.jpg

TT150

This is my truck. The blower was on the truck before I ever seen the truck. They didn't have the color I wanted so when they found it I had them ship truck to gearhead to get it ready for work. The truck was run HARD and super reliable. One day on the highway in PA I was racing a coworker when truck went from 5k rpm to silent. The trucks hiflo cats got stuck sideways in the muffler. Against everyone's advice I drove the truck home very carefully which was an hour ride so I could fix at my buddys garage. after that ride the truck wasn't the same. Truck seemed down on power but still ran the 12.8. I'm fairly sure if I would have listened and had truck towed like everyone said that it would still be running. You should have zero problems at ~500rwhp. One more thing is that the roush tune is junk. Leaves alot to be desired. IMHO

mechanicboy

Established Member
This is my truck. The blower was on the truck before I ever seen the truck. They didn't have the color I wanted so when they found it I had them ship truck to gearhead to get it ready for work. The truck was run HARD and super reliable. One day on the highway in PA I was racing a coworker when truck went from 5k rpm to silent. The trucks hiflo cats got stuck sideways in the muffler. Against everyone's advice I drove the truck home very carefully which was an hour ride so I could fix at my buddys garage. after that ride the truck wasn't the same. Truck seemed down on power but still ran the 12.8. I'm fairly sure if I would have listened and had truck towed like everyone said that it would still be running. You should have zero problems at ~500rwhp. One more thing is that the roush tune is junk. Leaves alot to be desired. IMHO

Thanks for your input. I hope your new setup works well for you, keep us updated please!

Users who are viewing this thread