cutting my rear springs

buck667

Toxic Venom
Established Member
I want to lower my car. Already have sportlines. Has anybody cut their rear springs and been able to still have them fit within their placements?

Toasty

Established Member
I think cutting springs, rears especially, is a bad idea.

How do you expect the rear spring to stay on its perches properly if you start removing metal?

SKMCOBRA

Just the Facts
Established Member
Please just spend a few bucks and get some new lowering springs. Cutting springs messes up the spring rate and will upset your entire suspension. Springs are created to function together, front and rear, for your suspension. If your springs are progressive then cutting off a coil or two will completely change their rate.

buck667

Toxic Venom
Established Member
I think cutting springs, rears especially, is a bad idea.

How do you expect the rear spring to stay on its perches properly if you start removing metal?

Your question is why I posted this thread. I was wondering if anybody has done this.

buck667

Toxic Venom
Established Member
Please just spend a few bucks and get some new lowering springs. Cutting springs messes up the spring rate and will upset your entire suspension. Springs are created to function together, front and rear, for your suspension. If your springs are progressive then cutting off a coil or two will completely change their rate.

I already have sportlines. I want this thing slammed and besides cutting the only way I know to go lower is with coilovers. Not looking to spend the money on coilovers. I know my springs are progressive but, I don't care about manipulating the spring rate and changing the ride quality. I barely drive it (1000 miles/year). I want it looking pimp while sitting still as that's how I and most others see it.

Toasty

Established Member
i already have sportlines. I want this thing slammed and besides cutting the only way i know to go lower is with coilovers. Not looking to spend the money on coilovers. I know my springs are progressive but, i don't care about manipulating the spring rate and changing the ride quality. I barely drive it (1000 miles/year). I want it looking pimp while sitting still as that's how i and most others see it.

baller yo.

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
Put some subs and sand bags in the trunk, problem solved :p

Seriously though, a friend of mine had some Intrax springs on his car at one point. Lowest stock suspensioned car I've ever seen. There was about 1 fingers worth of fender gap and the car scraped on everything. I don't know how he tolerated it for as long as he did. So you might check into those if that sounds like what you want.

Mystic-SVT

snuggle fest, mmmmm!
Established Member
I you're going to cut them then cut from the top not the bottom. They will at least stay in the top perch better then cutting from the bottom.:nono: I don't agree with it either but hell, people have asked me to cut their springs and thats wer i've done the rears. If you cut them from the bottom pigtail then you run the risk of the spring moving around and maybe even popping off of the perch on the trailing arm.

Now don't go cutting 1.5-2 coils off of the sportline, the spring probably won't even compress...

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
For the look you want. (Although I don't agree with it) Trade sportlines for stock springs and cut the stockers.
At least they are linear rate.

You will be sorry cutting the sportlines.

KazooGS-T

Established Member
I HAD cut sportlines on my car, there was never a problem with the springs falling out.

I bought the car with those springs in it and still have them laying around, I swapped the front for a coilover setup and the rear with a non-cut sportline.

I didn't like how low the car was.

buck667

Toxic Venom
Established Member
I HAD cut sportlines on my car, there was never a problem with the springs falling out.

I bought the car with those springs in it and still have them laying around, I swapped the front for a coilover setup and the rear with a non-cut sportline.

I didn't like how low the car was.

Did you cut the top or bottom of the rear springs (pig tail top or flat bottom)? How much steel did you cut? 1/4, 1/2, full coil, etc? Do you have any pics of what it looked like with the cut springs?

Mark185

Established Member
i cut a coil off my factory rear springs, they fit fine, still have the factory ride quality too.

2DXTRM

Pushrod 5.0
Established Member
I know that INTRAX springs have a 2 inch drop and I believe the H&R Super Sports sit a little lower than the Eibach Sportlines.

2DXTRM

Pushrod 5.0
Established Member
To the OP, are the isolators (rubber spring pads) still in place? I know a lot of guys take them out and the car sits a little lower with out them.

Users who are viewing this thread