Cutting stock springs WTF OMG

Napp E Roots

Established Member
hey guys ive been reading on the termy threads about cutting springs and a lot of people seem to be happy with the results so im going to be taking this route this weekend. my only question is will the results they see be the same with SN95s? i been reading a lot of positive feed back from this free mod but that is all for the new edge. do we have the same linear springs that they do?

if you have experience with this (as in you have done it) please let me know what you think. if you are just going to say it is the ghetto way to do things and blah blah civics bounce blah blah save your breath. I would like first hand experience feed back

thanks

Quin

Established Member
Just make sure you use a saw and not a torch, and you don't take off too much. My buddy did it on one of my old cars, rode and drove the same as stock and sat at least 2" lower. Not sure how many coils he cut, though. The stock springs are linear, you shouldn't run into any issues with it.

Worst case scenario, all you are out is a couple hours of time.

RIO RED SNAKE

4:10's = The Suck
Established Member
it will have the same effect...our springs are essentially the same, especailly very similar wit the mach 1s....it is a cheap way to get the car low, i just lowered my car with intrax 2inch drop and tockico blues....but my buddy had his done and it came out great, ride quality is still good, good luck and meaure measure measure!! if you mess up i have a set of springs off my 97 cobra

F8L BYT

Established Member
It will look a lot better and you may get lucky and you may not. I have about 4 friends that have done this and all cut the same amount of coils off. 2 of them ride pretty much the same and the other 2 ride like complete shit, really bouncy. If you dont mind possibly sacrificing a little ride comfort then yes do it!

Mystic-SVT

snuggle fest, mmmmm!
Established Member
I just did this to a buddy's car this past weekend; I cut 1.5 coil off the bottom of the front springs and 1.75 out of the top of the rear springs. It had a small rake to it but it looked great and dropped it about 1.75" in the front and 1.50" in the rear.

Napp E Roots

Established Member
thanx guys this was all very helpful 1.5 and 1.75 coil is quite a bit i was reading to do no more then 3/4-1 but i am looking to about a 1.75" drop so i guess we'll have to see what happens

Slow95Cobra

Certified in SVT by Ford
Established Member
not saying its bad, but i have seen a few cars we have done, and the springs eventually collapse, and cause a horrible ride.

cobra_neill

Established Member
Manchester, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
when you cut stock springs the ride will stay the same as stock, only sit lower. so if you want something to help with cornering or to have any positive effect on your cars performance at all, you wont do much good with this mod. your nose will still dive under braking, lift under accelleration and wallow like a fat chick at the pool... but its your call.

venomous99

Established Member
cutting a linear rate spring will result in a higher spring rate, therefore a stiffer ride than stock depending on how much you cut. will it look good? possibly yes? will it ride like crap? well that depends on what u define as crap.

Napp E Roots

Established Member
ya im kno it wont give me the best ride and performance but i am just trying this to kill a weekend then i plan on doing all new suspension whenever this mod blows out the stock shocks and thats when it will be about a great handling package

thanx again everyone

ShortThrow50

Always buyin cheap tires
Established Member
Hell, I have h and r sports on my 02 but i pulled them out and cut a whole full coil off each corner to drop it more. I had to use a cut off wheel on my grinder to cut them bitches.

ratfinkron

Established Member
I use a grinder with a thin cutting wheel and took 1.5 coils rear 1 coil front and it gave the car a very nice low aggressive stance. Rides a little stiffer but not bad and I recommend this untill you can buy agood set of springs. I have BBK springs on my 96 and cut them too!

ju015dd

64 valves
Established Member
I use a grinder with a thin cutting wheel and took 1.5 coils rear 1 coil front and it gave the car a very nice low aggressive stance. Rides a little stiffer but not bad and I recommend this untill you can buy agood set of springs. I have BBK springs on my 96 and cut them too!

nice ride, where in ga are you:beer:

2V99GT

SVT God
Established Member
i have steeda springs in my car currently, and i'm thinking about taking 1/2 coil or so off of them.

Users who are viewing this thread