Cutting The Cable! or Dish..

Status
Not open for further replies.

TorchMach

Established Member
I wanted to discuss if any of you have cut you're cable or satellite/Dish TV? How did you feel after, did you regret it? As much as it costs, it just seems like a waste. I don't mind paying for something I'll enjoy but at this point I don't use it very much...for $120 a month it seem's pointless.

With the technology of today I just feel dumb still paying for it.... I have a PS4 that has everything I want. Netflix, NBA, Amazon Prime, HULU Plus....and I spend about $20 a month COMBINED and get everything I want. For example, I can stream The Walking Dead a few days after it air's on TV with no commercial's (nothing pisses me off more). I can order PPV event's off of HULU, everything has been covered at this time.

So, if you've cut the cable/satellite, how did you feel? Did you miss it?

DiabloGarrett

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
the only thing thats kept me from "cutting the cord" has been sports. i dont watch a lot of sports, but the ones i do arent always on the free OTA channels. Some are, and thats nice, but most are usually on specific networks. like MNF/TNF is only broadcasted on ESPN, or my basketball team is only broadcasted on Fox Sports locally. It doesnt seem like much to anyone i tell it to, but if i could manage to stream sports, reliably, i would drop it tomorrow.

TexasPoke

Established Member
Ehhhh. I ended up getting Comcast again this past year after being cable/satellite-less for 8 months. I loved not having to pay the extra 99 bucks a month, but ultimately, I missed watching sports too much.

I missed RedZone on Sundays and college/NBA ball throughout the week. If you're a sports junkie, it's pretty hard to eliminate cable/dish altogether. However, when baseball is the only thing on (spare me), I didnt miss it nearly as much.

Also, most will probably say stream sports, but outside of ESPN3 (which sucks worse and worse each day), your only option is firstrowsports.eu and unless you love Ads a lot....I mean a lot. That site blows.

Last edited:

Riddla

It's for your own protection
Established Member
I pay 40 bucks for dish and it has all i need.

I dont known why you are paying 120

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Comcast here and couldn't do it. My wife loves the On Demand stuff and having a home phone, and I love my internet and TV/Sports.
I do have to call one a year and threaten to leave to get my rates reduced back down to the promotional rates. It's a big game, lol.

MG0h3

Established Member
I ditched mine mainly for the savings.

I do notice that I am more productive around the house.

I'm single so I just go to a friends house if I want to see a game.

Dont regret it at all.

10splaya22

Established Member
the only thing thats kept me from "cutting the cord" has been sports. i dont watch a lot of sports, but the ones i do arent always on the free OTA channels. Some are, and thats nice, but most are usually on specific networks. like MNF/TNF is only broadcasted on ESPN, or my basketball team is only broadcasted on Fox Sports locally. It doesnt seem like much to anyone i tell it to, but if i could manage to stream sports, reliably, i would drop it tomorrow.

Sling TV...See it here: http://www.cnet.com/news/sling-tv-everything-you-need-to-know/

Channels: ESPN, ESPN2, TNT, TBS, Food Network, HGTV, Travel Channel, Cartoon Network/Adult Swim, Disney Channel, ABC Family, CNN, El Rey Network, Maker, Galavision, AMC (coming soon)
Sports Extra Package: SEC Network, ESPNEWS, ESPNU, Universal Sports, Univision Deportes, beIN Sports, ESPN Buzzer Beater, ESPN Bases Loaded, ESPN Goal Line

I may go to this at some point. Seems like everything you need for $25 a month.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Comcast here and couldn't do it. My wife loves the On Demand stuff and having a home phone, and I love my internet and TV/Sports.
I do have to call one a year and threaten to leave to get my rates reduced back down to the promotional rates. It's a big game, lol.

Yep.

chrisheltra

Established Member
I got hooked up with free tv from the cable guy when he hooked up my internet and I'm so glad I don't have to pay for that shit because it's garbage. Torrents FTW!

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Moved down here and never picked it up. Dont miss it. I dont watch sports anymore, can netflix/hulu/AmPrime enough TV shows to keep us occupied, and we download torrents for everything else that we want to watch the night of.

$40/mo for a decent internet connection, another $20 for netflix/hulu is much better than $150 or whatever most are paying for internet+cable to get hundreds of channels full of absolute junk programming.

When the day comes that they give you $50/mo to pick up to 15 channels (or something like that), I might reconsider. I wouldnt mind having local news, and maybe 5-8 good networks that have good shows.

Blown 89

Established Member
Haven't had cable in over a decade. XBMC, Sabnzbd, Sickrage, and a HTPC the size of a small book. Fully automated, full HD, no commercials, usually available the same night everything airs. An antenna in the attic grabs free HDTV that's better quality than cable for sports and if it's something not OTA I walk down to the bar a block away and have a beer with the money I save every month while I watch the game. No overpriced subscriptions, no DVR recording limits, no outages, just pure unadulterated brilliance.

I don't miss it at all....not even a little bit.

Last edited:

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
the only way i would ever be wiling to pay a dime for television is if there were no commercials. it seems like it's all commercials, or a promise of what will be shown "when we return".

if you flip through any random 10 tv channels (or radio), you will land on a commercial about 75% of the time. lol, eff that!

DiabloGarrett

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
for regular programming, torrenting is not even a question, my database is huge. The only issue is sports, but honestly i only pay about $100 a month for tv/internet through comcast. the service sucks, its spotty at times, on demand has too many issues, but it works most of the time. for 50 bucks back into my pocket a month, and adding a slingbox and subscriptions, i might as well stay where i'm at.

the other benefit for cable is the "bored factor". if i'm bored, sitting on the couch being a bum, i can turn on a channel and just have it on in the backround as noise while i play on my phone/computer/w.e. when i'm making dinner and want some music on, i throw on MTVjamz. when the wife is bored, cooking channel will always keep her attention while i work on the truck/house. it does have its advantages.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
When the day comes that they give you $50/mo to pick up to 15 channels (or something like that), I might reconsider. I wouldnt mind having local news, and maybe 5-8 good networks that have good shows.

you can probably get that right now for free "over-the-air". the antennas they use nowadays are no bigger than a piece of paper you hang on your wall. i get all local channels in full hd plus dozens of other over the air programming.

DiabloGarrett

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Sling TV...See it here: http://www.cnet.com/news/sling-tv-everything-you-need-to-know/

Channels: ESPN, ESPN2, TNT, TBS, Food Network, HGTV, Travel Channel, Cartoon Network/Adult Swim, Disney Channel, ABC Family, CNN, El Rey Network, Maker, Galavision, AMC (coming soon)
Sports Extra Package: SEC Network, ESPNEWS, ESPNU, Universal Sports, Univision Deportes, beIN Sports, ESPN Buzzer Beater, ESPN Bases Loaded, ESPN Goal Line

I may go to this at some point. Seems like everything you need for $25 a month.

i was just looking at this and had a thought.. i have multiple tv's. this would doable, just not practical enough. idk, maybe im just a tv junkie

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
yeah I looked into OTA stuff and had a neighbor here with one, the picture quality was horrendous when it actually found stations.

OhIIICobra

Established Member
I have Netflix and a Mohu Leaf antenna to pick up my free digital channels since I live in BFE. $57 bucks a month.

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
I'm not going to lose sleep over $120 a month. There's other things I'd cut out way before this.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
OP I feel your pain. Back in december comcast bill was $130 for pretty much the entire year, now that the promos are over:
January $150
February $158

my plan:
double play
hbo, showtime, 2 cable boxes, have my own modem.

I'm under a contract but ready to ditch these money hungry shitty customer service ****s.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread