Cutting The Cable! or Dish..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blown 89

Established Member
yeah I looked into OTA stuff and had a neighbor here with one, the picture quality was horrendous when it actually found stations.
How was the picture quality horrendous? OTA is on a whole heads and shoulders better than cable due to massive compression cable providers are forced to use.

for regular programming, torrenting is not even a question, my database is huge.
You could watch 1,000 TV shows and an indexing service would take care of everything for you without lifting a finger. I currently have 81 shows on my que for the family. All I do is turn on my TV and the latest episodes are there. There are ways to do everything, it's a matter of having the know-how.

Last edited:

getTwisted

I Remember My First Beer.
Established Member
I want to explore that SlingTV but I would like to see if anybody else is using it and how much they like it.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
60 bucks now for DirecTV.

It'll go to 100 a month in a little bit.

Worth it to me.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
How was the picture quality horrendous? OTA is on a whole heads and shoulders better than cable due to massive compression cable providers are forced to use.

it is possible that he lives in a place where the ota signal is not that great. for example, my house gets great ota signal, i get at least a hundred channels but turn off most of them, but my gf lives about a mile away and cannot get any ota channels. I think her house is located sort of in a valley

Blown 89

Established Member
care to expand on that?
Programs like Sickrage look for the TV shows you want to watch. They link up to theTVDB.com and know when they air and pull them down off of an indexer that lists all of the torrents that pop up. It sends the files from the indexer into something like sabnzbd which downloads them, unpacks them, and sends them back to sickrage which downloads the information, cover art, etc and organizes it into the show's folder when it's done. All you have to do is turn on your TV and you see something like this with all of the episodes already downloaded:
xbmc-tv-series.png

Like I said, I have 81 programs currently. I only watch a few but it's not any more work to have 5 than it is 5,000. The sit and browse through stations capability isn't there but with so much crap on I never found that to be productive anyway. To each their own in that regard. It works the same for movies. If Transformers is announced to come out in 2018 I log in remotely on my phone, tell Couchpotato to look for it and when it comes out on Bluray in three years it's sitting on my TV waiting for me in all of it's uncompressed HD glory.

I do pay for various services and programs to do that. It's a fraction of the cost of cable but I still pay a monthly fee to certain services to do that. I'd gladly pay the cable company if they offered something similar but instead of listening to the consumer they're trying to tell us what we want so screw them. I'm not paying $50 just to watch Game of Thrones and have the rest of the package sit there unused. It's archaic and that entire industry needs to die already. Things like Netflix are the future, cable company packages are going to be a thing of the past soon.

Allegedly of course.

Last edited:

Blown 89

Established Member
it is possible that he lives in a place where the ota signal is not that great. for example, my house gets great ota signal, i get at least a hundred channels but turn off most of them, but my gf lives about a mile away and cannot get any ota channels. I think her house is located sort of in a valley
With digital you either have it or you don't. It's not like the days of SD OTA where you could have a snowy staticky picture. If you get OTA enough to see a picture it should be amazing.

Stanley

Established Member
Premium Member
Programs like Sickrage look for the TV shows you want to watch. They link up to theTVDB.com and know when they air and pull them down off of an indexer that lists all of the torrents that pop up. It sends the files from the indexer into something like sabnzbd which downloads them, unpacks them, and sends them back to sickrage which downloads the information, cover art, etc and organizes it into the show's folder when it's done. All you have to do is turn on your TV and you see something like this with all of the episodes already downloaded:
xbmc-tv-series.png

Like I said, I have 81 programs currently. I only watch a few but it's not any more work to have 5 than it is 5,000. The sit and browse through stations capability isn't there but with so much crap on I never found that to be productive anyway. To each their own in that regard. It works the same for movies. If Transformers is announced to come out in 2018 I log in remotely on my phone, tell Couchpotato to look for it and when it comes out on Bluray in three years it's sitting on my TV waiting for me in all of it's uncompressed HD glory.

I do pay for various services and programs to do that. It's a fraction of the cost of cable but I still pay a monthly fee to certain services to do that. I'd gladly pay the cable company if they offered something similar but instead of listening to the consumer they're trying to tell us what we want so screw them. I'm not paying $50 just to watch Game of Thrones and have the rest of the package sit there unused. It's archaic and that entire industry needs to die already. Things like Netflix are the future, cable company packages are going to be a thing of the past soon.

Allegedly of course.

Something like that might be something that the wife and kids could use if I wasn't home which has always been one of my issues with getting rid of DTV.

Blown 89

Established Member
Something like that might be something that the wife and kids could use if I wasn't home which has always been one of my issues with getting rid of DTV.
It takes a little geekery to work but I have it set up where my wife can work it with the TV remote. Cable isn't flawless either so I deal with the occasional hiccup.

ponyboyisaac

Now Kaioken...times 10!!
Established Member
We got rid of directv 2 months ago and couldn't be happier. Bought a chromcast to cast Netflix and other movie sites off my tablet and phone. Feels great, I'll never go back. I've been meaning to buy one of those flat tv antennas to get local channels, local news and what not.

ViciousJay

Established Member
OP I feel your pain. Back in december comcast bill was $130 for pretty much the entire year, now that the promos are over:
January $150
February $158

my plan:
double play
hbo, showtime, 2 cable boxes, have my own modem.

I'm under a contract but ready to ditch these money hungry shitty customer service ****s.

I have the same as you and their getting me for $185! and said next month will be $230 for the freaking double play?! I am pissed

Branhammer

Established Member
$120 a month is crazy to me. We have dish and got in at an intro rate of $45 per month for Americas Top 120. That first year recently ended and it shot up to almost $90. I called them and threatened to just pay the early termination fee which was $240 as opposed to paying over $1,000 over the course of the year and they dropped me to $60 a month for the remainder of the contract. After that I'll call back and negotiate again.

You can ALWAYS negotiate. Even if you're under contract. Especially with all the cheap streaming services they have to deal with as competition now.

If you're with a company that won't negotiate then **** 'em. Pay the termination fee and switch to someone else. A couple hundred now vs. over a thousand over the course of a contract is a no-brainer.

Panic661

Established Member
I really want to, however I just cut my internet down as well as my Direct TV. So I'm sitting a 1.5mbps line for $12 and Direct is $60. For 10mbps I was paying $83.

Pretty much I'm screwed.

With sports I've found you can find a stream for virtually any game, reddit specific subs for teams normally have a link to a great streaming source for the game, then there's Sling TV that someone mentioned. If I could get a reasonable price for internet I'd cut out Direct TV and go that route.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
With digital you either have it or you don't. It's not like the days of SD OTA where you could have a snowy staticky picture. If you get OTA enough to see a picture it should be amazing.

Well we dont then. It looked like when you first open Netflix and it takes a second to figure out your speed and buffer the quality accordingly and it looks worse than old TV quality for that second or two. Except it looked like that full time, when it picked up the signal, that is.

We live 10min from downtown SD, but there is quite a bit of terrain variance around here.

FWIW, my best friend in TX who is about 45min from Dallas tried the antenna thingy too and had similar crappy results.

Not sure how it works and/or why it doesnt, dont really care.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
Paying $170 and soon to be dropped down to $130-140 for DirecTV. IMO its worth it mainly sports but shows are also a big reason. Paying my last month of Sunday ticket and will gladly pay it next year again.

I have a ton of movies as well, about 1k and can stream them thru Plex, shows as well. However, sometimes its just nice having it auto record your favorite stuff or if you are at work/place and want to see a show/program. Leaving work, last thing I wanna do is go back to the computer and search for stuff to watch.

Rather go home, grab a beer, lay down/sit, turn TV and enjoy my record programs. To me, paying monthly is worth it.

Those saying well I could be saving $100+ a month reminds me of the cigarette joke with the Ferrari.

DiabloGarrett

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
It takes a little geekery to work but I have it set up where my wife can work it with the TV remote. Cable isn't flawless either so I deal with the occasional hiccup.

when i get home tonight i'm going to play around with sick beard and deluge. its a bit confusing/overwhelming at first, but i'll figure it out.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Rather go home, grab a beer, lay down/sit, turn TV and enjoy my record programs. To me, paying monthly is worth it.

Those saying well I could be saving $100+ a month reminds me of the cigarette joke with the Ferrari.

Same way we feel.

DiabloGarrett

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Paying $170 and soon to be dropped down to $130-140 for DirecTV. IMO its worth it mainly sports but shows are also a big reason. Paying my last month of Sunday ticket and will gladly pay it next year again.

I have a ton of movies as well, about 1k and can stream them thru Plex, shows as well. However, sometimes its just nice having it auto record your favorite stuff or if you are at work/place and want to see a show/program. Leaving work, last thing I wanna do is go back to the computer and search for stuff to watch.

i could see this being an issue, but i work at a computer all day, and torrenting is just part of what i do in my daily routine. it'll be nice to automate this with my favorites auto downloading, and just weed through the stuff i want randomly here and there. i've got 1tb fill with tv/movies currently and ready to grab another to start building it up. its just nice to have a fallback during power outages or hurricanes when i have to run on a generator for 2 weeks without power/internet/cable/etc.

Branhammer

Established Member
Well we dont then. It looked like when you first open Netflix and it takes a second to figure out your speed and buffer the quality accordingly and it looks worse than old TV quality for that second or two. Except it looked like that full time, when it picked up the signal, that is.

We live 10min from downtown SD, but there is quite a bit of terrain variance around here.

FWIW, my best friend in TX who is about 45min from Dallas tried the antenna thingy too and had similar crappy results.

Not sure how it works and/or why it doesnt, dont really care.

I did a ton of research on this in case Dish and Centurylink wanted to take the alternative to lowering my bill, the alternative being sucking my balls.

I was going to go with Netflix, Amazon Prime, and an antenna, and found out that you have to make sure you have the right type of antenna for your area. With this website, you can put in your zip and it'll tell you where each station is located, what channels each station provides, and what type of antenna is best for picking up that station. In my area, all but one of the stations were clustered in one location and required the same type of antenna.

http://www.antennaweb.org/Address.aspx

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
I haven't had any of it in years. If it isn't on Netflix or Amazon, I'll buy it. Streamed the Super Bowl just fine with an HD antenna. Don't miss it at all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread