Cutting The Cable! or Dish..

Status
Not open for further replies.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
In order to get Sling TV on every television that I currently have hooked up to Dish network, it will will cost me $150.00 @ 25$ per set. And that would put it at exactly what I am paying for my Dish Hooper DVR system I have now. So, for that reason alone, and not including the lack of some channels such as History; TLC; Science and Discovery, I'm out.

Not to mention, i only get 3 OTA channels in my area.

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
I cut the cord years ago. I invested heavily in some some Lifetime Tivo boxes, Fringe area UHF antennae mounted outside along with a VHF antennae mounted over the garage and Channel Master 777 which combines both UHF and VHF signals together, prefilters out the noise out and boosts the signal to the rest of the house. I used the same cables the cable companies left behind to run my signals throughout the house.

It was a heavy initial investment - but it paid for itself in what would have been 8 months of Sat TV. We have had it for years now - so it has more than paid for itself.

My worst signal runs at about 80% - which is still good. Most the channels I capture are running 90% or higher. Tivo boxes talk to each other - and since they are lifetime boxes - there are no fees for the Tivo service. We record OTA and technically have 4 turners between the two boxes so we can record 4 shows at once. I also set up a gigabit house network to put all the devices on - so the Tivo boxes share shows very quickly (it takes about 15 minutes to share a 30 minute show and you can start watching it right away). The image quality OTA is better than the compressed crap sat or cable companies feed to us. Even better than the Fios I had prior in the previous house.

Aside from that - we pay for internet and netflix.

It seems like there are also other DVR options out there aside from Tivo.

Fuzzy Logic

ʎʇıןɐǝɹ ɹnoʎ ʇɔǝɾǝɹ ן
Established Member
couchtuner

popcorntime

torrents

firstrowsports

amazon prime

with all of those... don't see the need for cable or satellite. i can connect my laptop to my and watch in hd. for local channels, i have a cheap OTA antenna which picks up the local channels in hd. sometimes, the difficulty in cutting the chord of cable / satellite, is missing the "convenience" of having everything in one box. but using your laptop / pc and going to a site is (to me) the same as changing channels.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
I was thinking something similar to this. My cable/internet runs about $170 a month and includes 15 or so premium channels(HBO's, Starz, cinemax, showtime, etc..) the problem is there is rarely anything on that is a new release. I'm thinking of killing those and going netfilx.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
I went to fiber optic high speed internet 15 months ago. As long as the weather is good I can stream anything I want - the only time it really gets sketchy is when I'm trying to stream UFC.

The thing that worries me the most when I get back to the states is the new FCC rules on "Net Neutrality" - it's supposed to spike the internet rates pretty high.

hoamskilet

Established Member
We got rid of cable over 4 years ago and haven't regretted it once. Between OTA, 1channel, and downloads we watch pretty much whatever we want. I can't come up with any scenario where we'd have cable again

Gravik

Established Member
Cut out cable one years ago. No complaints. I can watch everything I want to watch online or on netflix. Also ditched cable internet for DSL. The DSL internet is actually faster than cable one.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
I canned it a while back and dont regret it at all.

I pay 29/mo for internet. Then my Amazone Prime and Netflix subscriptions.

If it isnt on there, then it gets streamed(sports) or downloaded(new movies).

I do plan on getting a nice antenna at some point too.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Also, I'm patiently awaiting my Google Fiber install...

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
I pay 40 bucks for dish and it has all i need.

I dont known why you are paying 120

Because his "needs" are more extensive than yours? :shrug:

x2

If it is what he described, I'm seriously ready to call my cable company..

Does anyone have SlingTV? Opinions of it?

I signed up for the "free" 7 day trial of SlingTV last night. So far, it's definitely NOT worth paying $20 +tax per month. I only wanted to check it out for HGTV since my wife and I like to watch that channel for ideas and inspiration. Unless HGTV is running some hella marathons for the next several days, this shit is NOT live TV!! I scrolled through the program schedule and it's the same 4 shows over and over for the next 3 days! I checked out CNN and the only thing airing over and over was Anderson360. I give no ****s about watching sports, but I imagine peoples' 20 bucks are going toward subsidizing other people being able to watch ESPN live; same as with cable. Out of the handful of networks they offer, we would only be watching two or three of them and so far it seems it's just the same shows over and over on each of them. I guess the other channels are just filler for the sports people when their team isn't playing. I haven't even looked at the ESPN channels, so I'm just assuming those are the only actual live ones.

Oh, and you need your credit card to even sign up for the "free" trial. My opinion thus far? Absolute garbage! But I'll give it the full 7 days to redeem itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread