Cylinder #5 not firing

fallingup693

granny shiftin' noob
Established Member
So I have a problem with the #5 cylinder not firing. So here's what I've done so far. I started unplugging the COP's to see which cylinder wasn't firing. #5 made no difference when I unplugged it so I narrowed it down to that one. Then I swapped the #5 COP with the #6 COP. The end result was the same. So I assume it is a problem with the wiring to the #5 COP. Checked voltage from Power distribution with the car running. Was reading voltage. All the other cylinders are firing. No idea where to go from there. What's the possibility that the PCM is causing problems for just cylinder #5? Any ideas?

fallingup693

granny shiftin' noob
Established Member
So you checked pin #27 which is a light green/yellow wire at the PCM?

That's what I was going to do next, But I wasn't sure if there was a splice or something before then because I couldn't find the Green/Yellow wire at the disconnect at the back left corner of the engine bay.

wjurls

More money than brains
Established Member
I pulled out the #5 COP and stuck a spark plug in it while the car was running.... No sparks....

Did you just stick a plug in the COP? Or did you also ground the body of the plug? If you don't provide a path to ground you won't get a spark... I have had a bad connector to my #8 COP but it was intermittent.

hotcobra03

Established Member
you wont find it in that connector c133 its in c1045,,small square with 16 pins,next to the big 1 with bolt

Last edited:

fallingup693

granny shiftin' noob
Established Member
Did you just stick a plug in the COP? Or did you also ground the body of the plug? If you don't provide a path to ground you won't get a spark... I have had a bad connector to my #8 COP but it was intermittent.

Ohhhhh I see. Yea I just stuck the plug in there thinking it would work. How do you provide the path to ground? Stick a wire on the threads of the plug to a ground or?

you wont find it in that connector c133 its in c1045,,small square with 16 pins,next to the big 1 with bolt

Yea, I didn't see it there either. I've double and triple checked. But I'll check again.

oldmodman

Established Member
Ohhhhh I see. Yea I just stuck the plug in there thinking it would work. How do you provide the path to ground? Stick a wire on the threads of the plug to a ground or?

Yea, I didn't see it there either. I've double and triple checked. But I'll check again.

I just hold the side of the plug against either the head or the valve cover. I am leaning toward it being a bad plug. Over the years I have had three fail to the point that they would not produce a spark. Just put a new plug into the COP and ground it. If no spark then start testing the wiring. But test it with a new plug, not the one from the bad hole.

Users who are viewing this thread