Damage to Tire? What to do???

Gabed1972

Established Member
Only 280 miles on my car and already found a nail or screw in the tire. Not sure if its in deep enough to puncture the tire?

Should I should remove it or leave it in and have it plugged?

I really don't want to take the car into the dealer for service already.

I would hate for mechanic to possibly get my seats dirty from oil or some other damage happened while in the service center...

At this time it doesn't appear to be leaking air...

Any advice?

image_zpsacb2fd41.jpg

image_zpsfbb341cb.jpg

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
Pull the wheel off and take it into a tire store. It could be too close to the sidewall to be patched in which case you'll need a new tire.

Gabed1972

Established Member
Pull the wheel off and take it into a tire store. It could be too close to the sidewall to be patched in which case you'll need a new tire.

Any idea how thick the tread is on the tire. Any possibility that might not have punctured all the way through. :dw:

txminime

That's pretty close to the no-fit zone. I'd take it to a tire store so you don't pay outrageous dealers prices in case you have to buy a new tire. If it is fixable, most tire store will probably patch it for free just to earn your future business.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
Any idea how thick the tread is on the tire. Any possibility that might not have punctured all the way through. :dw:

It'll really depend on how long the screw is. You can try to unscrew it but if it did puncture then it'll start pissing air.

cobra23

Established Member
I have had a similar situation. When I was putting on my winter tires and taking the goodyears off last year, I saw a screw in the tire. Since I had new tires, I pulled it out. It did not go through. If this is the only car you have, do not pull it out. The tire could go flat and you will have no ability to drive. First, call around and see if any stores have the tire in stock.

Think about ordering one from the Tire Rack. Then look up their preferred installer list for your area and talk to the folks on the list. You cannot put a plug in it. It has to be patched from the inside. It is close to the sidewall so a patch might not hold. If need be rent a car for a day or 2.

Good luck

usmotox

Living the Dream!
Established Member
I bought the Ford tire hazard warranty and it depends on the dealer they will patch it which in my mind was BS friend bought the same warranty and his dealer replaced the tire. So he did good buying the warranty with his dealer but I got a total different treatment from my dealer. I put another set of tires on did not want to have 3 speed rated tires and one questionable and did not want miss mileage tires either. Good luck yours may be just a small amount closer to the edge than mine was.

dubbsfaris

Shelby SP Region Director
Established Member
If you plan on having your car drive over 90 mph, I would not even risk it.

My left rear has two nails in it, and im replacing the tire. Discount Tire, will be in on Monday. Left is cheaper than right for some reason, but its a 300.00 hickey I wished to avoid since I just spent 5k on new tires for the RV.

A recent breakdown on my RZR was gonna cost me 600, then I started talking trade-in value, and now its cost me 10k. I did get a brand new can am maverick max out of it at least.

These damn toys are fun, but sure have a cost.

Good luck

crucianpilot

Feel the need for speed!
Established Member
I took a large screw in my left rear tire 600 miles ago. It was patched at the tire shop and its been just fine so far. It was right in the middle of the tire.

Gabed1972

Established Member
Only 280 miles on my car and already found a nail or screw in the tire. Not sure if its in deep enough to puncture the tire?

Should I should remove it or leave it in and have it plugged?

I really don't want to take the car into the dealer for service already.

I would hate for mechanic to possibly get my seats dirty from oil or some other damage happened while in the service center...

At this time it doesn't appear to be leaking air...

Any advice?

image_zpsacb2fd41.jpg

image_zpsfbb341cb.jpg

Since the tire did not leak all night long. I slowly took the pliers and unscrewed the screw. Using Windex to check for leaks (since I didn't see any bubbles) I continue to slowly unscrew the screw out of tire.

Once screw came out I checked for leaks with the Windex and again no bubbles.

I got lucky no need to go to dealership, no need for plug, no need to have them touch my car. I'm so excited I was able to do this myself!
image_zpsac256471.jpg

raustin0017

Established Member
FWIW....If it was my car and would have leaked...I would have plugged it myself. I would not have replaced the tire. On my 09 M3 I had a screw in the rear Michelin PS2. Removed the screw and plugged the tire. I drove on the autobahn almost daily for 18 months. Never gave it a second thought.

When this happens to my 14 GT500...will do the same unless it is very close to the sidewall.

jream

mods, DAMN peer pressure!
Established Member
FWIW....If it was my car and would have leaked...I would have plugged it myself. I would not have replaced the tire. On my 09 M3 I had a screw in the rear Michelin PS2. Removed the screw and plugged the tire. I drove on the autobahn almost daily for 18 months. Never gave it a second thought.

When this happens to my 14 GT500...will do the same unless it is very close to the sidewall.

Ditto 100%

dubbsfaris

Shelby SP Region Director
Established Member
Do what you want. I had two friends severely injured in a high speed open road event because of a blowout on a patched tire back in 2004. I got two small kiddos, can't risk it.

But, if I wasnt gonna replace the tire anyway, why bother taking out the screw? Extra traction for ya!

phil123

Established Member
I bought the Ford tire hazard warranty and it depends on the dealer they will patch it which in my mind was BS friend bought the same warranty and his dealer replaced the tire. So he did good buying the warranty with his dealer but I got a total different treatment from my dealer. I put another set of tires on did not want to have 3 speed rated tires and one questionable and did not want miss mileage tires either. Good luck yours may be just a small amount closer to the edge than mine was.

I have the same warranty and you don't have to bring it to the Ford dealer. I brought mine back to the tire dealer that put my MPSS's on when I had tire damage. He had to answer a few questions and I was reimbursed i full for tire and towing a week or two later by the Ford tire hazard warranty administrator.

usmotox

Living the Dream!
Established Member
I have the same warranty and you don't have to bring it to the Ford dealer. I brought mine back to the tire dealer that put my MPSS's on when I had tire damage. He had to answer a few questions and I was reimbursed i full for tire and towing a week or two later by the Ford tire hazard warranty administrator.

Guess I need to do research they told me if it were drivable I had to take it to Ford and so far my dealers service department has not impressed me. They did tell me that the warranty call in said if the tire was leaking they would replace it but since it was not they would only patch it which makes no sense a hole is a hole. I have nitrogen in the tire and the screw was sealed pretty effectively by the soft rubber tire compound. It leaked when the screw was removed.

To the OP, I am glad it was a short screw and you are good!!

Users who are viewing this thread