Damn possom!!!

Z71xMud

Established Member

Driving home the other night im pretty much falling asleep and I open my eyes to see a ugly friggin possom run infront my truck so I slam the brakes and almost go into a ditch. Then every one decides to give me the talk about how you just hit small shit and only slam on the breaks for car damaging animals. Am i the only dumbass who didnt know this? :??::??:

TAF

Trilogy Twin Screwed #004
Established Member
*Opossum...

220px-Opossum_1.jpg

Depending on the speed/vehicle...even small animals/things can do damage...

Best not to run over anything you can safely avoid in the road...

Last edited:

Z71xMud

Established Member
*Opossum...

220px-Opossum_1.jpg

Depending on the speed/vehicle...even small animals/things can do damage...

Best not to run over anything you can safely avoid in the road...

Yeah i agree. and i guess now slamming on dry breaks wasnt really that good of an idea opposed to just possibly swerving.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
^^^^ :lol: yea I think he did too.. But isn't there a description of what this part of the forum is?

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
I prolly would have done the same thing, even though I'm pretty sure my truck would clear a critter like that. Odds are I'd have thought it was a dog or cat though; I'd have no problem killing a possum.

Leedog

Clan SVT
Established Member
Almost everywhere you read or are taught states that you should never swerve to avoid an animal. If you can safely apply the brakes, do so. If it is a large animal, you are screwed no matter what as it will likely come over the hood of a smaller car. When you swerve at the last minute, the general population does not have the evasive skills required to maintain control. I was always told, small animals aim for the tire, medium animals brake and aim for the middle of the car as to not lose control of the vehicle if you strike it with the tire. Large animals slam the brakes and cross your fingers.

I actually had an incident similar to this with a doe a few months back. She DID NOT move an inch, and I stopped a loaded down F250 just a few feet from hitting her. I actually had to get out of my truck to scare her off haha. Most people underestimate the ability of their vehicles brakes.

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
If he wansn't known to a mod, I'd swear 94convertibleV6 was back.

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
i didn't know it was spelled Opossum......thought is was just Possum.

Z71xMud

Established Member
I prolly would have done the same thing, even though I'm pretty sure my truck would clear a critter like that. Odds are I'd have thought it was a dog or cat though; I'd have no problem killing a possum.

I think im just used to having my girlfriend riding with me and if i would ever make the mistake of hitting anything with her i'd probably wish i was hit by a car.

Users who are viewing this thread