Dash Cam

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Just out of curiosity, other than using it to record races, why do people typically record while driving? We've all seen plenty of YouTube videos where the person has obviously had the video camera recording before an "incident of interest". Again, just curious.

D's01Snake

Motor City Muscle
Established Member
Just out of curiosity, other than using it to record races, why do people typically record while driving? We've all seen plenty of YouTube videos where the person has obviously had the video camera recording before an "incident of interest". Again, just curious.

I thought the same thing, after some research it it all boils down to insurance purposes. In Russia, insurance scams are huge so they started recording everything just in case.

jrandy

Established Member

I have been tossing around the idea of getting one too. In my commute in the morning and afternoon there are just too many idiots driving.

A dash cam would be the great objective truth to what happened in an accident. Sadly most people these days don't have the integrity to admit fault.

godfather

CAPTAIN
Established Member
I have been tossing around the idea of getting one too. In my commute in the morning and afternoon there are just too many idiots driving.

A dash cam would be the great objective truth to what happened in an accident. Sadly most people these days don't have the integrity to admit fault.

That is my reason ..too many idiots here in Florida even worse during tourist season :beer:

SVTerror

New Guy on the Block
Established Member
I got a dash cam while I was visiting Japan this summer (no brand name), I got it for like $70 plus I bought a 16GB SD (records like 200 minutes) card with it. It records well but records in 1 minute increments. For my device, once the SD card gets full, it loops over and over-writes the older files. It records good at night as well as long as there are lights around. It's primarily used for insurance purposes like it was stated earlier in this thread. It's pretty cool to have and if something happens, you can show an officer what actually took place.

Jenkins

Established Member
But if you did have a dash cam and got in a wreck and it was your fault would you just provide the footage? Better believe I wouldn't.

Mentos

Earn this
Established Member
But if you did have a dash cam and got in a wreck and it was your fault would you just provide the footage? Better believe I wouldn't.
I may not provide the footage, but wouldn't you admit your fault if it was blatant?

FWIW, I've thought of getting a dash cam also. .....since honesty has gone out the window in this country.

zak88lx

Future SVT *****
Established Member

I have been considering one as well.
It would definitely come in handy for accidents, or traffic incidents, as you have actual video proof instead of the typical "he said", "she said" crap.

clbailey

Established Member
How about instead of a camera for someone to break into your car for. One of those backup cameras mounted up front and connected to a recorder?

oldmodman

Established Member
I got a cheapo dash cam for an old friend a year ago. Found it at a computer swap meet. It only cost $65.00

Records around 2 hours on it's removable card then re-records over.

Saved her from getting charged with an at fault accident and was able to get the other driver cited and their insurance had to pay for all damages, medical, and lost wages/pain and suffering.

The other driver ran a red light and turned across right in front of her. There were three people in the other car and just her in her car. They all told the officer that they had the green arrow. That story worked right up to where she replayed the accident for the cop.

godfather

CAPTAIN
Established Member
I got a cheapo dash cam for an old friend a year ago. Found it at a computer swap meet. It only cost $65.00

Records around 2 hours on it's removable card then re-records over.

Saved her from getting charged with an at fault accident and was able to get the other driver cited and their insurance had to pay for all damages, medical, and lost wages/pain and suffering.

The other driver ran a red light and turned across right in front of her. There were three people in the other car and just her in her car. They all told the officer that they had the green arrow. That story worked right up to where she replayed the accident for the cop.

Sweet move got to love them lairs :beer:

JasonSnake

Established Member
That rear-view mirror one is pretty sweet. Doesn't look like it records sound though :( I would like to mount a microphone on the outside, maybe where the hood/windshield meet so wind doesn't hit it, but enough where it can record the next loud bang from a meteor entering the atmosphere like on the russian dash cams :)

edit: had my PC on mute .. it does have sound. DOH!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread