DBK what's this I hear Ford is returning to Le Mans

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Shit, I really need this to be like a 2018/9 model year to afford one lol.

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
I'm already talking to my real estate agent about putting my house on the market, and it's not even built yet! :D

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
eaunkxpvshangw86wruo.gif

w7rsn19ifswib5fmav40.gif

6.0GTO

Established Member
It does not look like they plan on competing for the overall win so this is nothing like the 60's.

steeltoe

Established Member
It does not look like they plan on competing for the overall win so this is nothing like the 60's.

No that would require an LMP1 entry and those cars have to be hybrid. Even with Fords vast resource I don't think they could start an LMP 1 car and the hybrid system from scratch and have them ready to go by June 2016.

But seeing a GT40 on the track in GTE with Ferrari, Corvette, Team Viper and the 911 wearing the Gulf livery would be nothing less than amazing.

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
Ford doesn't have to compete at Le Mans again to sell an s-load of new GTs. The 4 wins in the late 60s and rarity of, and demand for, the last release means they will always sell all they can make. Seeing a new GT on the street will be incredible...seeing the factory losing on track...and smudging its historic record would be less so. Competition will be tough. Watching privateers fighting the good fight will be cool (think Matech and VDS in FIA GT3 & GT1 in recent years), but if the GT is going into racing as a factory effort, Ford better play to win. History demands it.

Last edited:

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
Oh boy....

so if they make another Ford GT, does that mean that motor will also power the next GT500/Cobra? or will they use a hopped up version of the 5.2 voodoo?

Being that the 2015 detroit show is only 3 months away, Ford could be looking to make a real splash with several showings....I hope

steeltoe

Established Member
Oh boy....

so if they make another Ford GT, does that mean that motor will also power the next GT500/Cobra? or will they use a hopped up version of the 5.2 voodoo?

Being that the 2015 detroit show is only 3 months away, Ford could be looking to make a real splash with several showings....I hope

I hope neither. What makes an LS3 Vette faster than an LS3 Camaro its a lot lighter. That would be the way to go. They edited the article saying we might hear or see something by the New York Auto Show.

6.0GTO

Established Member
No that would require an LMP1 entry and those cars have to be hybrid. Even with Fords vast resource I don't think they could start an LMP 1 car and the hybrid system from scratch and have them ready to go by June 2016.

But seeing a GT40 on the track in GTE with Ferrari, Corvette, Team Viper and the 911 wearing the Gulf livery would be nothing less than amazing.

So Gulf is just going to drop Aston Martin?

steeltoe

Established Member
Ford doesn't have to compete at Le Mans again to sell an s-load of new GTs. The 4 wins in the late 60s and rarity of, and demand for, the last release means they will always sell all they can make. Seeing a new GT on the street will be incredible...seeing the factory losing on track...and smudging its historic record would be less so. Competition will be tough. Watching privateers fighting the good fight will be cool (think Matech and VDS in FIA GT3 & GT1 in recent years), but if the GT is going into racing as a factory effort, Ford better play to win. History demands it.

Matech most likely won't field any of the cars. Multimatic handles a large amount of Ford's GT operations not including the prototype teams of Michael Shank Racing and Chip Ganassi Racing also Penske Racing has considerable resources to involved in a project like this.

Also depending on how this aligns with Tudor, Continental tire series, and NASCAR I would expect a who's who of Ford race car drivers.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member

I would buy tickets to Le Mans to see this. If they finish 1,2,3...it would be even bigger. I cant imagine the celebration if that were to happen.

steeltoe

Established Member
So Gulf is just going to drop Aston Martin?
You mean Multimatic. Multimatic runs AMs GTE and GT Pro/Am teams. Honestly Ford could use the livery without "Gulf" on the car also Gulf has the money and has sponsor several cars in the same class from different teams.
Where would this be built? Wixom is gone.
Ohio or NC would be my guess. Penseke has a bunch of empty building from its ALMS LMP1 days
I would buy tickets to Le Mans to see this. If they finish 1,2,3...it would be even bigger. I cant imagine the celebration if that were to happen.

They won't be over all 1 2 3 ever again. So far Ford has no interest in an LMP1 car.

Users who are viewing this thread