DD Suggestions

01svtL

Established Member
This might get long, but the details matter for my situation.
I currently drive a 2008 Jeep SRT8 with 84K miles. My daily commute is less than 10 miles round trip, so the poor mpg and maintenance expense/intervals do not bother me. However, we are moving to San Antonio soon. My commute will probably go to 70+ miles round trip. While I COULD afford the gas and everything else that may come with a high mileage SRT8 Jeep, I don't want to. So, I'm looking to sell the Jeep and get into something cheap(ish), probably a lease, for daily driving purposes. Then, in 6-12 months, assuming I land a job on par with the one I had in Houston, I'll start looking for a fun/weekend/track car - another 13/14 5.0, older Shelby etc. I do have a 1 year old and two dogs, so a 2-door civic is not what I'm after. I'm looking for suggestions, but what I'm currently considering is a lease on a new Ford Escape with the 2.0 turbo motor and sport package. I feel like it'll be nice enough that I don't absolutely hate it and regret my decision, and maybe with a tune it'll get out of its own way, and hold me over for the 6-12 months without a real sports car. With the Sport Package, it's not a bad looking little SUV either. Trying to keep the lease payment under $400, closer to $350 if possible. If you guys have any other suggestions, please post up. I'm sure there is something out there that I haven't considered yet.

01svtL

Established Member
Older 4 door M3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like what years? Being this is the DD, I can't be worrying about expensive maintenance that often comes with the hi-performance German cars.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
OP why are you going to lease a vehicle with a possible 70 mile commute? I see this costing you more in the long run. I'd sell the Cherokee and look for a certified pre-owned Fusion, or Escape. Possibly even a
Taurus SHO.

KevSher20

Established Member
Like what years? Being this is the DD, I can't be worrying about expensive maintenance that often comes with the hi-performance German cars.

Just have to be sure of who you are buying it from. Preferably a dealer so you can warranty it with who you finance with. That should take care of the worry about fixing stuff. RBFCU down here in San Antonio has a great warranty company they sell with their loans.

KevSher20

Established Member
And as far as the years, I've seen quite a few 06 to 08 around 25k. I'm looking for something similar to what you are but my commute is only about 20 miles each way.

01svtL

Established Member
OP why are you going to lease a vehicle with a possible 70 mile commute? I see this costing you more in the long run. I'd sell the Cherokee and look for a certified pre-owned Fusion, or Escape. Possibly even a
Taurus SHO.

70 miles will be the upper end, as my best guess. It probably won't be driven much on weekends, and again, I'll drive the "fun" car, once I get one, on Fridays and nice days every now and then.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
70 miles one way or round trip?

70 miles round trip, 5 days a week, 50 weeks a year is 17.5k miles a year. Might be too much for a lease to be worth it.

A low mileage civic, focus, or mazda 3 would all make good, cheap DD. Just avoid the 2011-2014 DCT Focus.

Or a lightly used accord or fusion for something slightly roomier.

Recon

Established Member
Stay way from Europe. Japan or American would be the choice. Out of all the cars I've worked on Lexus seems to be the most durable and reliable.

Sent from somewhere in the Twilight Zone.

PaxtonShelby

iamdrab
Established Member
If you're going to rack up miles I see no point in buying or leasing a new car, especially if you want to save some $$ to make it easier to buy your next toy in a few years. I always find clean older and well cared for "higher" mile cars. That isn't always easy but for me it is worth the effort.

Many people think I'm just cheap ( I guess I am ) but I'd rather drive a super clean '03 Focus SVT that I buy for $4k...keep it for a few years...and sell it for nearly what I paid...than drop $400 a month for 3+ years and walk away with nothing. If you buy the right car that won't kill you with maintenance you can come out way ahead. I use the money saved for mods for our Mustangs.

So anything clean old and fun could work for you. Maybe a '93-95 SHO ( they are cheaper on maintenance than the '89-'92 models...or an early 2000's Subaru Forester with the WRX motor and a 5-speed ( VERY fun little cars ) or even a mid '80's LTD II 4-door with a 5.0 or a 4-door Comet or Maverick with A/C. They are all cheap to insure. So many choices if you think about it. Almost all of them will save you a pile of money in the end...and in the meantime you can have the only one like it in town.

Happy hunting.

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
70 miles will be the upper end, as my best guess. It probably won't be driven much on weekends, and again, I'll drive the "fun" car, once I get one, on Fridays and nice days every now and then.

It still adds up and most low cost/payment lease's are 10k miles per year.

DiB14-SAFD

Established Member
As mentioned above, Fusion or Edge Sport are nice. Personally I picked up a 2007 Mazdaspeed 3 a few weeks ago and am loving it as a dd. The wife has a 2014 Grand Cherokee Diesel that gets an easy 30mpg highway and she loves it.

_Snake_

Established Member
As the others have said, a lease probably isn't going to make sense financially with the miles you expect to drive. Take a look at the terms and conditions of nearly any lease and you'll see what we're talking about.

VenomVeins

Established Member
With a 70 mile commute, your best bet is either a used Lexus RX SUV or a used Lexus IS350.

Keep the fluids changed, and they are damn near bulletproof for at least 200K miles (but they usually last much longer than that) Toyota drivetrains are no joke as far as reliability. The Lexus interior features and ergonomics are also badass and very well thought out.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
Eco fusion or Escape(gently used).

Can find some certified and definitely in your budget with little to no money down.

Users who are viewing this thread