decided im buying a ecoboost f-150 but can anyone talk me out of it to buy the v8?

AAG

Established Member
18s will have direct and port fuel injection, just like the yote. So fueling wont be an issue. $1500 in engine option difference + $600 for a tuner, drop in filter, and catch can is a HELL of alot less than a $7000 blower setup. Plus labor depending on who you are...

The 17 3.5 already have it dual injection.

I was referring to the person who said in order to get on the level of a 600 rwhp coyote F-150, it would need upgraded turbos. I'm sure parts and labor for such an upgrade isn't cheap. Seems like a lot of work to keep up a with single mod 2nd gen Coyote F-150.

MissionMan

u mad
Established Member
I will say that I plan to run my EB into the ground but I have concerns about the intake valves with lack of dual injection. oh well

should I be looking into catch cans?

DMassey

No Habla Jibber Jabber
Established Member
I'm in the same boat... actually in the market myself for a used 13/14 FX4 SCrew. Through all my experience and research, I can tell you that I don't care if it's a 3.5EB or a 5.0L. I'm just going by the best deal I can get.

My inlaws have 3 newer F150's in the family... father in law has a 12 3.5EB SCrew Lariat that has almost 100k flawless miles, brother in law has a 15 2.7EB ExCab that absolutely flies, and grandfather has a 14 5.0L reg cab that has also been flawless. 2 best friends also have 3.5EB's which have also been flawless.

Real world fuel mileage between the 2 engines are very very similar. While towing capacities for both engines are similar, the low end torque of the 3.5EB just does it easier. We pull a couple different campers (26' & 32') around with the 3.5EB trucks, up & down the WV hills and up & down Fancy Gap VA... it's just such an "easy" ride pulling them with the 3.5EB's. Having said that, the EB will indeed suck down the fuel in boost; let's not try to sugarcoat that. Also, you must yourself figure out how often you will be towing. We only use the campers 3-4 times a year at most. While it has to "work" a little harder to do it, the 5.0L will indeed tow alot too. Since we don't tow that much, I'm willing to sacrifice some of that 3.5EB capability for a much better deal. Sound is an important thing to alot of people, so the 5.0L has that covered in spades. But for me, I have a Mustang to make alot of noise... I like my DD to be nice and quiet.

In the end, I appreciate the 3.5EB and 5.0L just as much.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
I will say that I plan to run my EB into the ground but I have concerns about the intake valves with lack of dual injection. oh well

should I be looking into catch cans?

I know the BMW 3 series guys have had varying degrees of success with catch cans, meth/water injection, but ultimately they still end up have to use a soda blaster w/walnut shell media to blast the sludge off the intake valves. I think a catch can will give you longer intervals between this type of maintenance. Honestly; I don't know if this issue is as prevalent on EB motors as it is on other DI vehicles. I would suspect to some degree it is.

Willie2

Established Member
Premium Member
The 2.7TT is a very peppy engine, especially in sport mode in city traffic/speed.

I will say on the highway, it still moves, but not like the 3.5TT.
For a DD, you can't go wrong with the 2.7TT, especially if you find a good deal on one.
Sucks you can't get the 2.7 in the King Ranch trim

Eatonualive281

Established Member
The 17 3.5 already have it dual injection.

I was referring to the person who said in order to get on the level of a 600 rwhp coyote F-150, it would need upgraded turbos. I'm sure parts and labor for such an upgrade isn't cheap. Seems like a lot of work to keep up a with single mod 2nd gen Coyote F-150.

I gotcha.

Turbo swap seems like a single upgrade to me tho lol. Both need tunes too. Its all relative. Turbos are 2500 iirc. Ecoboost is still cheaper tho.... lol

AAG

Established Member
I gotcha.

Turbo swap seems like a single upgrade to me tho lol. Both need tunes too. Its all relative. Turbos are 2500 iirc. Ecoboost is still cheaper tho.... lol

For sure, ecoboosts can't be touched when it comes to minor bolt ons and a tune. They get DOWN. It's really not even fair for a Coyote without forced induction.

blk02edge

Established Member
i think my main concern with buying the smaller ecoboost motor on a new truck is that the resale value would take a big hit
I don't know about where you live but the 5.0's resale is trash compared to anything with the ecoboost badge around here.

nxhappy

Established Member
I know the BMW 3 series guys have had varying degrees of success with catch cans, meth/water injection, but ultimately they still end up have to use a soda blaster w/walnut shell media to blast the sludge off the intake valves. I think a catch can will give you longer intervals between this type of maintenance. Honestly; I don't know if this issue is as prevalent on EB motors as it is on other DI vehicles. I would suspect to some degree it is.

yes, that is a downfall on the EBs. A catch can is a must. The shit inside the intake system is crazy. I drain my catch can once a week.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
yes, that is a downfall on the EBs. A catch can is a must. The shit inside the intake system is crazy. I drain my catch can once a week.

I would be fine with doing that service on mine, if I owned an EB truck. Is it a PITA to remove the intake manifold? I have heard using a chemical like seafoam into the intake via a vacuum line is something you do NOT want to do on a EB motor, given the proximity of the turbos to the cylinder head, it can apparently damage them.

nxhappy

Established Member
I would be fine with doing that service on mine, if I owned an EB truck. Is it a PITA to remove the intake manifold? I have heard using a chemical like seafoam into the intake via a vacuum line is something you do NOT want to do on a EB motor, given the proximity of the turbos to the cylinder head, it can apparently damage them.
yeah, you don't want to use seafom or anything like that. But the catch cans do a great job of keeping the PCV system clean.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
Got another 2.7TT F-150 loaner last night. Yea, I really like sport mode. Almost reminds me of a Lightning with an Eaton with how it just launches/pulls down low.

AAG

Established Member
Got another 2.7TT F-150 loaner last night. Yea, I really like sport mode. Almost reminds me of a Lightning with an Eaton with how it just launches/pulls down low.

Yup. I've had ridden in a stock L and a stock 2.7 eco regular cab. They both pull about the same. It's beast of a little truck, especially for the money.

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
Yup. I've had ridden in a stock L and a stock 2.7 eco regular cab. They both pull about the same. It's beast of a little truck, especially for the money.

exaggerate much?

stock lightning will literally put a bus length on a 2.7l truck from any speed. You are comparing a 13 sec vehicle to a high 14 sec one. Lets be realistic here.

your butt dyno needs to be recalibrated

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
exaggerate much?

stock lightning will literally put a bus length on a 2.7l truck from any speed. You are comparing a 13 sec vehicle to a high 14 sec one. Lets be realistic here.

your butt dyno needs to be recalibrated

Indeed and from what I recall stone stock gen 2 lightnings ran mid 13 sec 1/4 times. Think MM&FF ran at 13.3x in one as well.

Users who are viewing this thread