Delrin Bushings Guys, a poll

Do your delrin bushings cause squeeking?

• My car doesn't squeek at all with the delrin bushings

Votes: 8 61.5%
  • It squeeks very little, hardly at all

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • It noticeably/annoyingly squeeks

Votes: 4 30.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TrickStang37

Established Member
Ok, I've had some serious creaking on the IRS ever since I installed the complete delrin bushings kit. The creaking seems to get worse the warmer the car gets. In the morning, when it's cold, it takes a little longer for it to start creaking. it creaks on EVERY little irregularity on the road, even smooth ones. When I did the bushings, i did the springs as well. I am running iso's in the rear, doesnt seem to be that. Tryin to find out what you guys think it may be. Were delrin bushings a bad idea for a convert? Im seriously thinking of going solid axle at this point.

Last edited:

black 10th vert

Established Member
Did you install grease fittings? If they are squeaking, it is usually caused by binding of some sort. Carefully check all of the "ears" to be sure there is no binding from them not being parallel and pinching the bushing. Setting them up correctly takes a lot of time and patience to get them perfect, and really isn't a job for the inexperienced installer. A ton of people have this issue with poly bushings too. I would suggest taking out the springs, and shocks, so you can move the a-arms up and down to check them throughout the range for binding. They should move smoothly with no slop, or major resistance. It's a pain in the ass, but unfortunately, there is no other way to get them perfect. I'd also add grease channels in the bushings, as well as fittings so that you can just hit them with the grease gun at every oil change, then you'll be good forever.

Good luck!

TrickStang37

Established Member
Did you install grease fittings? If they are squeaking, it is usually caused by binding of some sort. Carefully check all of the "ears" to be sure there is no binding from them not being parallel and pinching the bushing. Setting them up correctly takes a lot of time and patience to get them perfect, and really isn't a job for the inexperienced installer. A ton of people have this issue with poly bushings too. I would suggest taking out the springs, and shocks, so you can move the a-arms up and down to check them throughout the range for binding. They should move smoothly with no slop, or major resistance. It's a pain in the ass, but unfortunately, there is no other way to get them perfect. I'd also add grease channels in the bushings, as well as fittings so that you can just hit them with the grease gun at every oil change, then you'll be good forever.

Good luck!

every oil change??!! thats crazy, i would have just went solid if i knew there was that much maintenence.

btw, how does this explain it getting noisier the hotter it gets?

TrickStang37

Established Member
i thought about it, and "squeeking" was the wrong choice of words to use. the sound the rear makes is a creaking sound. kinda like when you step on old hardwood floors or steps.

ttt.

SlowSVT

Established Member
i thought about it, and "squeeking" was the wrong choice of words to use. the sound the rear makes is a creaking sound. kinda like when you step on old hardwood floors or steps.

ttt.

Sounds like something is loose or warn out. The rubber bushings may have masked the problem before. The spherical joints in the knuckle arm may have gone south. Check the toe link bar joints as well. What ever it is it's related to heat expansion.

black 10th vert

Established Member
every oil change??!! thats crazy, i would have just went solid if i knew there was that much maintenence.

btw, how does this explain it getting noisier the hotter it gets?

You don't have to grease them every oil change, but I'm just into checking things like that over and maintaining to be sure everything stays in great shape. Besides, if you have grease fittings, it takes about 10 seconds per fitting to hit them with a shot of grease! What's the big deal?:shrug:

There is probably thermal expansion at play caused by the friction (heats up the aluminum spacers, and compounds the problem).

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
every oil change??!! thats crazy, i would have just went solid if i knew there was that much maintenence

:lol1:
before the automakers started using sealed, non-greasable suspension components, we did them at every oil change

no big deal....

Last edited:

Jroc

Established Member
Every once in awhile I'll hear a little squeaking coming from the rear end. Its a little annoying but better than wheelhop.

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
Mine sounds like me and the girlfriend goin at it on a murphy bed, but its in all likelihood because my car is a salt belt bomber driven through the winter.

if you didnt want to maintain your car more than a stocker, you should have left the car stock [duh]

Postal Pimp

torque is my heroin....
Established Member
it does it on mine too. but only when it rains and if i spray the polished pipes. once it dries or a few days of no rain it goes away.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I've talked to quite a few Delrin drivers and it would seem the creaking is fairly common.

It is not a serious problem unless they are bound up some how. Delrin is a self lubricating material. A friend recently did a gear change to 3.73s and inspected his Delrin bushings that had been in and had been creaking some for about 2 1/2 years.

He found zero wear and zero galling. The grease fitting idea would likely bring about a reduction in an annoying noise.

But the bushings will live without it.

I'm thinking about doing the fittings too. I drive mine on the street a pretty good amount, so quieter would be nicer.

I would NEVER ditch the IRS though, the car is just too easy to drive FAST on track, to ever give it up.

I don't really want to do "slow down mods".

TrickStang37

Established Member
i did spray them down with some penetrating oils, creaking almost completely gone. very faint now. defenately not an easy job with just jackstands (a lil extra messy).

Users who are viewing this thread