Demon on the Loose...

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
I like the look of the Challenger but I can't get past the fender flares on the Demon. IMO the flares look as though they're stuck on with double-sided tape via the visible seams between the body and flare.
Otherwise this is a bad ass street car.
lol
Same here. I don't like the widebody Hellcats either. And it's not a "true" widebody, it's just stuck on fender flares. I don't like them.
The Demon is the same, but it is a beast for sure.

01performanceredvertsnake

Established Member
lol
Same here. I don't like the widebody Hellcats either. And it's not a "true" widebody, it's just stuck on fender flares. I don't like them.
The Demon is the same, but it is a beast for sure.

Exactly what I’ve been saying, do some bodywork and actually cut the quarter and paint it.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Conditions?

...88-degree heat with 65 percent humidity at 1,060 feet elevation. We weren’t being lame. It was just a hot, muggy Indiana day in July, not a cool Florida evening in December.

Most interesting is how Dodge obtained their Hero-like runs...

For the timed performances claimed in its press releases, Dodge fitted pizza-cutter front tires, drag racing slicks, ran it at 147 feet above sea level at 8:34 p.m. with a 40-degree ambient temperature on a fully prepared surface, and used 100-octane fuel

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Yep, real drag racers understand the benefits of that DA on the performance. I understand why SRT did it but it's then also not surprising when most guys will struggle to run 9s, at least those without racing experience in average conditions.
-J

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
While true to a degree I believe SRT booked that track and waited for specifically the right time/conditions. In drag racing the DA has a huge effect and Density Altitude is something they def took advantage of.
While I agree most would try for favorable conditions it seemed SRT went more out of the way than normal.
-J

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
I would think most OEM's would publish performance specs based on favorable conditions vs. the other way around. Is this something new?

This is most definitely not unique to Dodge.

True.

While skinnies and slicks can be ordered oem(I’ve been told), I would have much rather seen them run their full weight demon with the own street tires under same conditions. Maybe they crack 9. Maybe just short. Regardless, for me that’s more impressive than the full drag set just to try to handle power at launch and beyond.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
I think we're looking way to far into this. We all know it takes exceptional driver skill and conditions to meet pretty much any OEM's performance claims. We all know that they will never reference anything sub-optimal. Competition is tough, and you don't want to concede anything if you don't have to. This is nothing new or profound.

If you are unable to to point out other manufacturers that do the same exact things, you aren't looking hard enough.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I guess most customers can replicate manufacturer Nurburgring times then...
THats a very valid point and also why I take those numbers, like these Demon times and any other manufacturers claims, as tongue in cheek as they represent perfect conditions (rented track, shaved tires, excessive prep) with pro drivers and not easily reproducible by the average driver. It's cool and shows potential and a 'bogey' to shoot for, but if you base your purchase on these times you'll be foolish.
As above, all makers do it, some more than others, and it's part of the game.
Comical to talk to guys at the track and hear they're convinced they'll be running 9.60s or better next season with their Demon. Cool bro, good luck with that.
-J

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
True.

While skinnies and slicks can be ordered oem(I’ve been told), I would have much rather seen them run their full weight demon with the own street tires under same conditions. Maybe they crack 9. Maybe just short. Regardless, for me that’s more impressive than the full drag set just to try to handle power at launch and beyond.

If you own and have raced an HC you'd see the times from FCA to be totally believable. Demon more hp, 133. Demon less weight by several hundred pounds. Demon suspension optimized for drag racing. Demon 18" 05r drag radials. Demon stall tq converter. My Charger HC with 555r's on 20's went 10.89. That's pretty common for a HC with Dr's. You can live in denial. These cars will run 9's in anyone's hands in good weather.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
If you own and have raced an HC you'd see the times from FCA to be totally believable. Demon more hp, 133. Demon less weight by several hundred pounds. Demon suspension optimized for drag racing. Demon 18" 05r drag radials. Demon stall tq converter. My Charger HC with 555r's on 20's went 10.89. That's pretty common for a HC with Dr's. You can live in denial. These cars will run 9's in anyone's hands in good weather.

Agree.

I dont know why people find it hard to believe a car with 800+ horsepower, trans brake, automatic box, and traction wont crack a high 9?

Itll happen.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
Agree.

I dont know why people find it hard to believe a car with 800+ horsepower, trans brake, automatic box, and traction wont crack a high 9?

Itll happen.

Denial. Because Ford won't do it, nobody should be able to? I haven't even run in great weather yet. 60-70's so far. I'm scheduled to race this Sunday. 40-60's. Hoping to get this boat into a 10.7 with factory 20" rims and 555r DR and a K&N CAI. Stock everything else full weight car with my fat ass behind the wheel.

MarcSpaz

Resident Trouble Maker
Established Member
Agree.

Itll happen.

I think something that everyone is overlooking is, the guy who made the hero pass didn't do it his first time out. Nor did he do it on his 50th time out. These independent reviews of the car are really not even close to what the manufacturer did when it came to their test runs. I say this because the guy who made the hero run with the demon, while being interviewed, said he had at least 450 possibly 500 passes (IIRC) in that car at that track.

Now if you make 500 passes with the car and you still don't learn how to pull mid nines then just don't deserve the car. LoL

Users who are viewing this thread