Denso Irridium IT22's too cold for 14lbs?

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
Its interesting how much these cars vary. Some people love the NGK's, some hate them, some love Denso and some hate them. I have used the NGK's and the Denso 22's with a 2.80 pulley and didn't really notice a difference. If anything, the NGK's might have performed better. But I think the NGK's might be too hot if your going to run over 14psi. I have a friend with an 03 that is having some detonation and he thinks it might be the NGK plugs since his tune is very conservative.

BigDaddy

Established Member
Originally posted by CobraBob
Sounds like BigDaddy needs an tutorial in spark plug basics. :lol1:

Hey hey now....I knew I was going to get comments like this...and becasue I chose to post...I wont get a sour attitude.

Hey, if a dyno graph shows a problem, and a plug change (with no other changes) solves it....great.

I wonder how often you guys would change plugs if you owned a LS1 car?

Happy Plug Changing!

:beer:

BigDaddy

Established Member
Originally posted by KevinJKD
Its interesting how much these cars vary. Some people love the NGK's, some hate them, some love Denso and some hate them. I have used the NGK's and the Denso 22's with a 2.80 pulley and didn't really notice a difference.

Humm....Imagine That.

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
Yes, BUT. . . . thats with the 2.80 pulley only. If your running more boost I think you will need a colder plug. Like I mentioned before, my friend thinks he is getting detonation because his NGK plugs are too hot now that he is making more boost and the hotter wether is coming back. So just becasue I didn't notice a difference doesn't mean both plugs perform exactly the same.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Originally posted by BigDaddy
Hey hey now....I knew I was going to get comments like this...and becasue I chose to post...I wont get a sour attitude.

Hey, if a dyno graph shows a problem, and a plug change (with no other changes) solves it....great.

I wonder how often you guys would change plugs if you owned a LS1 car?

Happy Plug Changing!

:beer:
Hey Big Daddy, notice the laughing smiley. I was only teasing you. You're right on about the LS1 (and LT1) F-bodies. I had one. And there's no way I'd mess around with the plugs. I think I had them changed one time and it cost me $200. because they had to drop the motor to do it. Maybe we mess with our plugs more than is necessary because it's so easy to do it. Ah, brings me back to the 60s and 70s when we'd change plugs just about every weekend. LOL!

BigDaddy

Established Member
Originally posted by KevinJKD
Yes, BUT. . . . thats with the 2.80 pulley only. If your running more boost I think you will need a colder plug. Like I mentioned before, my friend thinks he is getting detonation because his NGK plugs are too hot now that he is making more boost and the hotter wether is coming back. So just becasue I didn't notice a difference doesn't mean both plugs perform exactly the same.

Kevin,

I'm sure there is truth to your above statement. - Hopefully your friend finds the problem.

Richo

"Ford Parts Whore"
Established Member
You guy's should try and change plugs on a Lightning/Harley truck!!! I would rather install headers on my old 68 Mustang with a 427 sideoiler..... :)

Juiced-03

Established Member
Originally posted by Richo
You guy's should try and change plugs on a Lightning/Harley truck!!! I would rather install headers on my old 68 Mustang with a 427 sideoiler..... :)

I can only imagine!! My 95 5.0 was bad enough! Those passenger side ones are a pain!!!

cobrapete03'

Sonic Blue Intimidator
Established Member
Update: IT22s in and way better than TR6s

Update: Put the IT22s in last weekend and the car runs much better than with the TR6s...Both low speed misses were fixed and it runs smoother throughout the RPM range than ever before...Checked the plugs after 15 miles of driving and they look perfect...Just a slight hint of light grey around the tip of the insulator to show it is running like it should with A/F ~ 11.5-.8... Ended up throwing the TR6s in the garbage where they belong...I'm sold on the IT22s now...

-pete:coolman:

Users who are viewing this thread