Deploying tomorrow, please offer some advice/tips

benulis55

Established Member
I am going to OEF for 6 months as a civilian, mostly at BAF. This is my first deployment and I was hoping you guys could just offer some tips so it will go as smoothly as possible. I am going to miss my girl, my home, and of course my cobra, but I know some guys go for 13,15,and 18 months so by comparison this should be easy.

ANY tips you have please write them here, it will really help me

thanks guys

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
I am going to OEF for 6 months as a civilian, mostly at BAF. This is my first deployment and I was hoping you guys could just offer some tips so it will go as smoothly as possible. I am going to miss my girl, my home, and of course my cobra, but I know some guys go for 13,15,and 18 months so by comparison this should be easy.

thanks guys

A LOT of it will depend on which base/FOB/Camp you are going to. If you are going to Kandahar or LNK it's not bad at all. I left in April and it was not bad at all. Kandahar has ALL the creature comforts and is HUGE. The biggest problem is the IDF and the fact that ISAF can't fire back.

What to bring: Laptop, IPOD, books, and since you will be there in the winter- RAIN GEAR. It rained almost everyday from mid Dec to mid Feb. Also bring some cold weather gear. It was chilly in the mornings and sometimes during the day. In Feb the temp dipped down to single digits on LNK... Since you are a civilian you will prolly have a celllphone so that's not too bad. I know a few people used Skype quite a bit.

GL

benulis55

Established Member
I will be at Bagram (BAF) most of the time, with other periodic FOB hoping times for a few days at each

I just want it to be a good experience, I want to help out the soldiers, do my part, and get home safe

I am also looking for any advice that will make the 6 months fly by fast, I do not want it to drag on and feel like 6 years not 6 months

any comments guys???

Bokeo

Established Member
I am currently serving my last month in Iraq to finish up the 12 month deployment.

I played alot of PC games on my laptop and watched tons of movies that I acquired from other soldiers external harddrives.

The gym also helped, even though Im not a big workout guru it was good to have a routine and work on the beach body.

Try not to think about how long you have there because it jus makes the days go by slower. Keep your head up and always start the day with a good attitude.

Good luck bro.

Root1022

100 Shot, 1 Kill
Established Member
Alot of movies...bring ALOT of movies lol. BAF should be a pretty decent place with plenty to do. 6 months wont be to bad at all, by the time you REALLY get settled itll be time to pack up and head home. Enjoy the money, save all you can and be safe! Keep your head down and chin up!

yelostang

Established Member
I will be at Bagram (BAF) most of the time, with other periodic FOB hoping times for a few days at each

I just want it to be a good experience, I want to help out the soldiers, do my part, and get home safe

I am also looking for any advice that will make the 6 months fly by fast, I do not want it to drag on and feel like 6 years not 6 months

any comments guys???

Bring books, games, or anything that will take a while to get through. Having a workout routine is good too. Best advise is to generally stay busy and to not count the days til you go home.

Edit: make sure to bring some cold weather gear...it's gonna get cold there

Last edited:

0TO60N4

New SVT Poster
Established Member
Good luck man.. I stayed at BAF a week when i arrived in country.. BAF really sucks but its a huge base and really safe. Your biggest worry/problem will be the roar from fighterjets and long chow lines LOL.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Good luck man!

I hope to be doing the same thing in about 9 months.

If you dont mind PM me who you got in with?

slowboy

Established Member
My words of advice are hook me up with a job...sike, but the gym and movies are the best thing to look forward to. Doing 6 months will be a breeze

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
thanks guys
LOL 6 months .... you should be able to do that standing on your head. you going as a contractor or (more likley I suspect) a DOD civilian? no such thing as "going smoothly" you are working with the military. Military and "smoothness" do not mix unless you are talking about their heads right after a haircut.

A LOT of it will depend on which base/FOB/Camp you are going to. If you are going to Kandahar or LNK it's not bad at all. I left in April and it was not bad at all. Kandahar has ALL the creature comforts and is HUGE. The biggest problem is the IDF and the fact that ISAF can't fire back.
What to bring: Laptop, IPOD, books, and since you will be there in the winter- RAIN GEAR. It rained almost everyday from mid Dec to mid Feb. Also bring some cold weather gear. It was chilly in the mornings and sometimes during the day. In Feb the temp dipped down to single digits on LNK... Since you are a civilian you will prolly have a celllphone so that's not too bad. I know a few people used Skype quite a bit.
GL
You do realize that most of this is wasted right? he lis deploying "tomorrow" these preps should have been done weeks, if not months ago.

Kandahar is one place I wouldn't mind going but I don't think I will do afghanistan. The more I look at doing a few years in afghanistan the more I am inclined to just pack it in when I am done here in Iraq

Good luck man.. I stayed at BAF a week when i arrived in country.. BAF really sucks but its a huge base and really safe. Your biggest worry/problem will be the roar from fighterjets and long chow lines LOL.
USMC's comments on Kandahar and this one reminds me of Balad when I first got there in 03. the biggest issue we had was IDF. the "not being able to fire back" that he mentioned didn't happen there until mid 04 if I recall correctly.

Good luck man!
I hope to be doing the same thing in about 9 months.
If you dont mind PM me who you got in with?

My words of advice are hook me up with a job...sike, but the gym and movies are the best thing to look forward to. Doing 6 months will be a breeze
Best thing for you two is to do a web search for "jobs in afghanistan". Lots of companies are hiring pretty much all kinds of jobs. get a resume together and get it out. there are a couple of threads about jobs in iraq and A'stan as civilians and how to prepare for them.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread