Detached Garage...

hockeylover86

Established Member
Go 16' high and 14' x 14' if you can.

The extra height will allow an upstairs/mezzanine office, etc. and the larger OHD's make it nice if you want to get a 5th wheel camper in there.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Build it around this Bendpak lift:

View attachment 1613831

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OMG I didn't know that was a thing, those are amazing!

Did you mention a mezzanine? If not its fantastic to get things up and out of the way.

This. We have a 60x80 building with one and it's great. We have stuff stored on top and even some stuff hanging from the under side. The bathroom is in the same corner, roof for that is part of the mezzanine. It's also helpful we have forks for our tractor and can put some pretty big stuff up there (made on section of the railing able to be swung open)

gfcobra04

Established Member
Premium Member
What type of insulated door do you reccomend?

The place we purchased, the garage was not insulated and has two 10Wx12H metal doors in front and 12x12 opening with double sliding doors in back. Sliding doors are the pits very difficult to seal from weather or bugs.

I looked at insulated roll up door to seal the back. The door salesman talked me out of the insulated roll up door. He stated a standard insulated metal door would work better and be cheaper. Plus the insulation on the roll up door will come off. The insulation is glued on the roll up door and every time you roll it up you damage the insulation and glue. I ended up installing 1/2 insulated board in the door panels on the front doors and sealed the sliding doors the best I could.

Plus the aesthetics you can get with the standard sectional metal garage doors is amazing. You can get almost any R-value you want. Someone mentioned it previously go to garage journal site you can get some great ideas about every aspect of the build.

The garage I had the walls insulated and sheathed with 1/2 osb. By using osb you don’t have to worry about always having to find a stud to attach something to the wall. Plus spray insulation In the ceiling.

The walls are not the prettiest however they are functional which is what I wanted.

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
Consider a washer dryer, nice to toss what ever the heck you want in there, with out the Mrs looking like "WTF are you doing"..... I was also going to say a shower, but your house is close enough.

5.2Leader

Established Member
Powwaaa lots of powwaaa. You need a 200 amp stand alone panel for the garage. Never know when you may need it.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

HuntFishCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
We did one last spring Nick. You can pm/email/call me if you want to talk. We learned a ton. I did all the electrical. We love it but there were a few things with our contractor that were a huge PITA. Plus I get to finally park my truck inside!

Edit - use this to plan your layout. I used it because I was capped on size by the county and wanted to fit cobra, boat, and truck.
Shop Tools and Machinery at Grizzly.com

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread