DFW bad fuel?

DallasBoss

Established Member
After sending Shaun with AED two sets of data logs using Chevron 93 and then Exxon 93 octane fuels, he said there was massive knock activity. Anyone else in the Dallas area with this issue? Any fuel suggestions? The car is stock except for Corsa axle backs.

Shaun mentioned that false knock readings can occur with loose exhaust connection, but everything appears tight. I want to troubleshoot this first by eliminating a fuel issue before I try to address false knock readings.

Thanks for any feedback

Nasty5ohhh

Established Member
Poor fuel quality as well. 93 is mainly just to cruise around on my car will dominantly be on e85.

manny231988

Established Member
Have you PERFORMED a KAM Reset. After you switch fuels I also had is issue with AED when I started my tuning performed this KAM reset and went to chevron or shell and we proceeded from there.

DallasBoss

Established Member
Have you PERFORMED a KAM Reset. After you switch fuels I also had is issue with AED when I started my tuning performed this KAM reset and went to chevron or shell and we proceeded from there.

AED never mentioned a kam reset. I hear that others in my area have also been told the same with regard to possible bad fuel. My car is stock and has not yet been tuned, so I don't think anything needs to be reset. I just need to determine if my observed knock activity is due to bad fuel, or false knock readings.

thekanezzi

Established Member
Shaun told me to steer clear of chevron due to its low quality. He reccomended shell or 76.

Id check out that exhaust again just to make sure. I'd put soapy water on the possible areas of leak and look fornbubbles

Taderzngravy

Established Member
The top three best places to fuel are

1. Sunoco
2. Exxon/Mobil
3. BP

Stay away from unbranded gas stations like wawas or royal farms because they will get whatever is cheapest and its usually shitty and unbranded.

Also try and go to higher traffic stations (especially for 93). 90% of the time a load of fuel taken to a gas station is between 6000-7400g of 87 and 1000-2000 of 93.

orangastang

Established Member
In are area everthing is pushed via pipeline to mount bellview. Meaning that every refiner in the houston area combines their fuel. ...it is the jobbers and stations that are mixing the lower octane such as 87 in the 93 tanks at the stations. Going with branded fuells such as shell cuts down on this trickery but doesn't guarantee it. ...lots of shady deals go down between the jobbers and stations.

mhyjek

Established Member
I use ACESIV fuel catalyst from bndautomotive. Haven't seen any knock, sent logs back to Lund and they actual pulled timing because he wasn't happy seeing my setup add 2 degrees with the my paxton setup. I know some will chime in snake oil but my logs have shown otherwise. I'm working with a tuner in my area and will test it on the dyno this winter. You still want the best fuel with ACESIV but it does add a margin of safety when you do get a bad batch of gas. My 2 cents I'm sure I'll get flamed but until you use it and see the data you will believe.

Taderzngravy

Established Member
In are area everthing is pushed via pipeline to mount bellview. Meaning that every refiner in the houston area combines their fuel. ...it is the jobbers and stations that are mixing the lower octane such as 87 in the 93 tanks at the stations. Going with branded fuells such as shell cuts down on this trickery but doesn't guarantee it. ...lots of shady deals go down between the jobbers and stations.

Same here, a mixture of pipeline and barges. The refinery gets bulk 87 and 93. The brand of fuel determines which additives are added. Sunoco, exxon, and BP are nice and clear. The unbranded fuel looks like shit water.

orangastang

Established Member
Same here, a mixture of pipeline and barges. The refinery gets bulk 87 and 93. The brand of fuel determines which additives are added. Sunoco, exxon, and BP are nice and clear. The unbranded fuel looks like shit water.

I hear ya. Yeah ours is all combined and the jobbers deliver same fuel to branded and independents. Same as yall on the additives. Our problem is underground tank maintenance and jobbers along with station owners filling the 93 with 87 octane.

auto02

Motivator
Established Member
Data logged my car so I could send files to Shaun as well. At a new local high traffic chain store with no name fuel I was experiencing KR on their 93 then tried Chevron and it was a little worse. Just for the hell of it I tried some NOS octane booster and guess what, no KR... car is still bone stock by the way. Guess I'll try Shell next.

DallasBoss

Established Member
I live in the middle of Dallas and both the Chevron and Exxon 93 were from busy stations. It pisses me off that it's so common for gas stations to screw consumers by not providing the 93 octane fuel that we pay for. My next step is to fill up on some 100 octane and data log, and see if knock is still present. If so, then I know I have a false knock problem. If it does turn out to be bad gas, then my quest to find a good gas station will continue. I hate effing screw job gas companies

manny231988

Established Member
I live in the middle of Dallas and both the Chevron and Exxon 93 were from busy stations. It pisses me off that it's so common for gas stations to screw consumers by not providing the 93 octane fuel that we pay for. My next step is to fill up on some 100 octane and data log, and see if knock is still present. If so, then I know I have a false knock problem. If it does turn out to be bad gas, then my quest to find a good gas station will continue. I hate effing screw job gas companies

My knocking was happening before my tuning begun, I sent him data logs and he said that gas was crap. So I was kinda puzzled because I had already tried the big name brand gas like shell and chevron so then he asked me If I performed a KAM reset after the new gas and I was like no. He said that I must perform this Because the computer is already used to the bad gas so I will treat the new gas like the old gas shitty. Idk man if you got an sct xcal you can perform the KAM reset through tuner or you can go WOT SEVERAL TIMES TO FORCE FUEL Data TO RESET. Maybe that will help right after this with shell gas we were able to continue to the tuning. Shaun is very picky but he is for a reason he is one of the best at what he does and believe me you won't be disappointed .

dead man walkin

Established Member
KAM reset???? What is this... I'm dfw I use the shell right by an off ramp of a Mobil on 170 in roanoak .. its a little out of the way but the 93 there gets me my best times

faztcobra

Established Member
I'm in DFW...datalogged for Shaun 3-4 different time w/ QT gas and never had any issues. That's about the only time I run 93 though. I'm on corn 95% of the time.

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
I just recently ran 2 datalogs from 2 different Shell station in the Arlington area and both logs I was pulling up to 3° of timing at WOT in my car. I'm still trying to figure out if it may be the tune parameters, or if it's the fuel. I plan to do some logs on Kroger fuel in the next day or so and see if that gets me anything.

JUIC3D

Boost Junkie
Established Member
I'm confused how performing a KAM reset will effect the physics behind the knock characteristics of a given fuel..

If a car is detonating as a result of poor fuel, pulling the ecu fuse is not going to magically make the fuel not detonate if the tune remains the same.

69camaro...

Established Member
After sending Shaun with AED two sets of data logs using Chevron 93 and then Exxon 93 octane fuels, he said there was massive knock activity. Anyone else in the Dallas area with this issue? Any fuel suggestions? The car is stock except for Corsa axle backs.

Shaun mentioned that false knock readings can occur with loose exhaust connection, but everything appears tight. I want to troubleshoot this first by eliminating a fuel issue before I try to address false knock readings.

Thanks for any feedback

I just went through the same thing with him. Doesn't make sense. I did two different stations as well and checked all my exhaust with no change. I even took the quarters and pennys out of my center console. So i changed tuners :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread