Diary of an On3 Twin Turbo Install

TimMcC

Brougham
Established Member
Install for me has been straight forward so far. The drivers side manifold flange needed some light touch up/grinding to line up perfectly with the head. No biggy. Passenger side was perfect. Waiting on the spacer for the drivers side as shown in pic above. New cast manifolds are sweet. Some will say, and I agree, why not fix the need for a spacer in the new design? They should have, but it is nice to see the company invest in making a better product with the cast version.

bottle fed 14

Established Member
In fact I will gladly pay $2200.00 dollars extra for a way better job and none of the headache others have gone through I can make more money working at my job in the same time it takes to install the kit

bottle fed 14

Established Member
You have to add for updated manifolds ceramic coating fuel hat injectors bigger turbo this adds up quickly and loss of pay extra tools needed And no headaches quality of job

Malern28us

Established Member
Premium Member
So you understand. I was adding my preferred set up (turbos with bb upgrade, billet wheels, ID1000 injectors, tune by Sai, vacuum block, upgraded manifold, billet opg and fuel setup. I left about $600 in wiggle room for the $7800 price for incidentals and tools. I wouldnt upgrade my clutch until afterwards....
i figure i might invest in a set of billet timing gears also....so maybe a little more than $7800 but AutoZones tool loan program is cheap and covers what i dont have or want to buy myself about 90% of the time.
I did see where someone commented on their time is more valuable. I figure about 60 hours for the install (at the speed I do things). I dont make $37/hr so I would come out ahead. Just saying....

Malern28us

Established Member
Premium Member
I wouldnt sell yourself short. I would bet with patience you could do it as well as anyone else. If you have trouble, wnough other people have done the install to give you tips.
I harass GIMME11s every chance i get....kind enough to respond to almost every question. There are plenty of others on here willing to share their knowledge justt to see you succeed. The perks of a forum.

lphooper03

Established Member
So, figured I would post up a little update about the status of the car/project.

I've since been chasing down exhaust leaks with the help of Manuel at Midnight Performance. Robert Hand with Gearhead Auto helped quite a bit along the way as well. The drivers side downpipe v-band was one of the places where the leak would just not seal. This is in part because of the shit fitment and lack of room to move the downpipe. Robert Hand sold me a gasket that fits in between the upper and lower downpipes and this sealed up the leak at that spot. Back to another part of the shit fitment, the wastegate dump tube had to be cut and rewelded so that it would align properly with the wastegate. Remember 1/8" off in either direction will cause it not to mate correctly and will cause it to leak.

Now I had this all fixed about a month and a half ago and everything sounded good. It wasn't until yesterday that another exhaust leak just popped up. These ****ing leaks are going to be the death of me.

Leaks aside, I had the car dyno tuned by Chris Holmes. Car put down right around 550hp on stock wastegate pressure. 47lb injectors were doing work.

I have upgraded the suspension a good bit with upgraded LCA's, Relocation brackets, UCA/mount, Panhard Rod, and lowering springs. Car is definitely noisier in the rear end suspension, but I expected it.

I have just purchased and installed a Turbonetics eBoost2. I'm just ID1000's away from bumping the boost up and letting this thing really open up. My goal is to install the ID1000's and electric cutouts. Then I will get it back on the dyno and see what it can do. Converting to E85, I should have no problem getting 650-675 out of it on around 10-10.5 lbs.

From my experience, I can say that the exhaust leaks are enough to make me not want to buy this kit again. The fabrication, time in the shop, extra money spent, just hasn't been worth it to me. I'm already $590 in the hole just trying to get the exhaust leaks fixed and they still aren't gone. My only other complaint about the turbo kit is the turbo lag. This is probably exacerbated by the exhaust leak, but the car feels like it has LOST a good bit of low end torque.

MRSUPRA

Established Member
I understand what you're saying. My drivers side down pipe had huge exhaust leaks that couldn't be fixed without major fabrication.

TimMcC

Brougham
Established Member
Dang. Sorry to see you're having those exhaust leak issues. Something I hope I don't have to chase. Don't think I will as my kit fit like a glove. Post your results with E85.

k9findit

Established Member
Dang. Sorry to see you're having those exhaust leak issues. Something I hope I don't have to chase. Don't think I will as my kit fit like a glove. Post your results with E85.

Did you recently buy your kit? The revised kit? Or is it just hit or miss with these kits lol

TimMcC

Brougham
Established Member
Did you recently buy your kit? The revised kit? Or is it just hit or miss with these kits lol

I purchased mine 3/20/16 and went with the new cast stainless manifolds and new down pipes. Honestly, the kit really surprised me, it fit perfectly. I was ready for a bit of a battle, but it never happened.

If you're considering this kit, opt for the new cast manifolds and down pipes.

I'd buy mine again in a heartbeat.

Users who are viewing this thread