Did shifter mod today

broke7

Stock IRS Guru
Established Member
Got around to doing the shifter mod, so I can hold myself over a little bit more until I get a Pro-50 or triax.

It was real simple, just pop the cover off the middle out of the molding and take out the 2--- 10mm bolts and remove the rubber piece with 2 bushings in it, and the rubber piece in the bracket.

I chose to use the bracket and 2 washers under the head of the bolts on the re-install ,because the stock bolts are too long and have a unthreaded shank at the top. I didnt want them shanking out on the shaft when I reinstalled them. Im gonna make a trip to the hardware store today and get shorter bolts and lockwashers.

After a test drive I was very impressed. If you have ever drove a car with an aftermarket shifter and are looking for the feel "clicky into the gear" but not the throw I would highly suggest this mod.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Hadn't heard of this mod before. Most folks would probably want to go with a shorter-throw, more solid shifter than do the mod though. Glad this worked for you and you like it. Did you hear of the mod on this forum?

a94cobra

Established Member
I did the triax and was not impressed over just changing or modding the handle. Seemed about the same. Triax is a shorter throw, but not worth the $160.

RKANYZ

Established Member
I did the same to mine. I liked the feel of the triax on Sonic03's car, but the short throw doesn't work well when you have short arms to match. so if you have short arms or a short bankroll try it out.

broke7

Stock IRS Guru
Established Member
RKANYZ is the one who showed me this mod, master tech at ford here locally hahaha

Plus the best looking cobra Ive seen yet.

It was worth my 10 minutes. Feels so much better. If I get the time I may cut down the handle and reweld this week, get rid of some of the length.

2F2F

[2 F]ast [2 F]urious
Established Member
Post installation threads in SVTPerformance > Cobra Forums > The Terminator > Modifications

broke7

Stock IRS Guru
Established Member
I didnt install anything. I merely refined it to a measure that it should of been from the factory.

hehehe I will post in the correct forum next time.

Thanks for the pointer.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Originally posted by a94cobra
I did the triax and was not impressed over just changing or modding the handle. Seemed about the same. Triax is a shorter throw, but not worth the $160.
If you installed the TriAx you installed the shifter as well, not just the handle. You probably meant the shifter as well. I have to say that there is most certainly a difference between the stock shifter and the TriAx. With the stock shifter the shifts are not as crisp and you will definitely have issues with third gear. I haven't missed a gear yet with my TriAx. Well worth the money in my opinion. And the shorter throws are the icing on the cake. Of course the Pro 5.0 is equally impressive.
:burnout:

a94cobra

Established Member
Try this for measure, put the triax shifter in with the stock handle. You will miss as many gears as if you had the stock shifter and stock handle. All the play is in the stock shifter handle, because of the rubber bushing. Ford put that there to make the shifter quiet. 5th and 6th gears are the worst for noise. I put the triax handle on the stock shifter and just as much noise as the full triax install.

I like the change or mod of the handle, but don't like the noise. The triax shifter does make for a shorter throw, but not really needed in my case. And that's my .05 worth.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Originally posted by a94cobra
Try this for measure, put the triax shifter in with the stock handle. You will miss as many gears as if you had the stock shifter and stock handle. All the play is in the stock shifter handle, because of the rubber bushing. Ford put that there to make the shifter quiet. 5th and 6th gears are the worst for noise. I put the triax handle on the stock shifter and just as much noise as the full triax install.
Sorry, but you're way wrong on this. You're putting the bulk of the fault with the shifter on the handle bushing. There is a very real difference between the stock shifter and the Tri-Ax. The shifter makes for more solid shifting, not the handle. Any handle with the stock shifter isn't going to help all that much. But changing the shifter (Pro 5.0 or Tri-Ax) will make for much improved shifting. Like I said, since chucking the stock shifter for the Tr-Ax I haven't missed a shift yet. The stock shifter was unpredictible at best. By the way, I am using the rubber shifter-to-handle gasket on my Tri-Ax and the shifting is STILL right on. Your logic would dictate that if I used that gasket then I shouldn't have seen any significant improvement in shifting. No flame intended here. I just want to clear up this misconception that the shifter handle is more important than the shifter.
:)

Last edited:

hwystr

Established Member
Originally posted by broke7
Im gonna make a trip to the hardware store today and get shorter bolts and lockwashers.

Just make sure you get hi-grade bolts so they don't break on you. When I installed the MGW handle, the instructions made a point about their bolts having high tensile/shear strength. Must be an old problem... :)

a94cobra

Established Member
Well, I didn't notice that huge difference you are talking about. I'm not saying it's not there, I just didn't notice. I am using the stock shifter and the triax handle. I have not missed a shift at the track with that setup. I didn't miss a shift with the full triax setup either. But with the stock handle with that huge bushing I will miss a few shifts at the track. Driving around town is no problem either way. But the precision when removing the stock handle is nice.

We can disagree, the best part about opions.

Users who are viewing this thread