Diff questions

03SB_Angel

SVT Angel
Established Member
Looking for some advice on what to do with my termis rear end.

Wondering what would be the best option.

Buy a new diff, if so which one and what will I need, or rebuild it and if so, what will I need.

I came across this..

http://www.yatesperformance.com/dt1...ntent=DT1505&gclid=CJ_UtYXQ-cUCFUiGfgodMAUAxQ

Mods:
subframe connectors,pulley, ported blower, intake, catted x, catback. 480rwhp

I don't have plans to race or run slicks on her.

Any help or info would be greatly appreciated!

bubblehead93

Established Member
the link is to the same differential you have in the car now... you could freshen the one you have up, Summit Racing plus many other folks sell the rebuild kits... I have had three diffs in my car... the stocker which is a cobra spec traction lock, a detroit locker, and a truetrac, all built by eaton... after 12 years burned out the clutches in the traction lock, the detroit locker went bang during a bad case of wheel hop when I tried to make too sporty of a pass on the 1320 with my auto-x tires on the car (for data logging purposes only but got carried away in the moment) which broke both halfshafts and sheared numerous teeth on the detroit lockers internals. I have a trutrac now, many folks drag race them with success... if you experience wheel hop, fix it before going to either a locker or gear type diff, you will break something... of note, on slicks I experience no wheel hop, but my sticky auto-x tires (NT-01s) at 34-36#s, bammmmm, bammmmm, bammmmm!

Since the detroit locker went bang, I have shifted over to DSS half-shafts and solid diff mounts (in lieu of urethane)...

Good luck, you can't beat a detroit locker for straight line fun, but it is noisy, especially turning in reverse, and shifting from reverse to forward... it is not for everyone. If you want a good all around diff, recommend the truetrac...

r/
Andy

Bflorhaug

Established Member
I 100% agree, I just put my true trac in my 04' cobra with a sra. Best I have ever purchased, and I used to be a fan of auburn diffs.

SlowSVT

Established Member
Always best to fix what you have. Bring the pumpkin to someone with a good reputation rebuilding performance differentials.

How are you planning on using the car? I was not a big fan of the "light switch" Eaton Trak-Lok posi carrier which is a good choice for drag racing. A Torson T2R is more akin to a "stereo balance knob" for rounding corners which is why they make IRS's

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Trutrac's are great. Mines lived a hard 10,000 miles so far with 600-900whp.

I've heard torsens aren't as durable, but handle a little better.

My car handles extremely well, and the differential is IMO a huge contributing factor.

The diff won't help things like peak lateral grip or g's, but transient handling balance/control and general feel of confidence etc greatly improve with a great differential.

I agree that the stock unit is at best a compromised piece...

If it was something worse reusing, I'd say rebuilt it, but I would personally replace it. Even if it was 2-3 times more expensive, to a modification that greatly improves the feel of the car IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread