Differential Bushings

rcurtis

Established Member
I plan on putting in some Steeda differential bushings. I have searched and can't find if I can do this on ramps or do I need to have the car on jack stands, sounds kinda dumb but I would rather use ramps. I also plan on doing the 03 crossmember too. The Steeda instructions say do one bolt at a time but to put the 03 crossmember on you need to have both of them out, will this be an issue?
Thanks,
Rick

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
I would think you would want an unloaded rear suspension so stands. Interested to see what others say

01yellercobra

Established Member
I would think you would want an unloaded rear suspension so stands. Interested to see what others say

After I thought about it some I thought this would be best as well. The control arm bolts might need to be moved to fit the cross member.

marcoc

Established Member
I did the front two orignally and it didnt change a thing. All mine were shot. I have learned now do it right and drop the rear sub-frame. Trust me its easy to do, there are many how to's on here. I removed my rear IRS last winter because I wanted to refresh everything. Trust me everyone will tell you just replace as many of the stock worn rubber bushings as you can. I replaced the main IRS bushings, 3 Diff. bushings, rebuilt differential, installed new cross axis joint boots and regreased, replaced sway bar bushings, installed a diff brace, installed an 03-04 Cobra rear torque brace, replaced subframe bolts with correct size, and cleaned everything really well. It wasnt bad just time consuming to send diff out and replace things the right way. Glad I did everything, it drives waaaaaay better plus now i am a pro at dropping IRS and understanding its operation. I can drop it in 20 minutes now ;). Its pretty much a must to replace the worn bushings. I recommend Full Tilt Boogie Racing and Maxium Motorsports for supplies.

Last edited:

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
Not to knock Steeda, but don't use those bushings. First, they are made by Energy Suspension and are still a bit on the soft side. Second, there is no sense in replacing just the front two and leaving the rubber mount in the back. Finally, if you use the kit by Prothane (the ones MM sells), you not only get a higher durometer poly, but the lower bushing is taller so it raises the front of the diff to compensate for the pinion angle.

Have had the Prothane/MM bushings in for several years and they are rock solid.

Some good info here:

Drivetrain

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
I plan on putting in some Steeda differential bushings. I have searched and can't find if I can do this on ramps or do I need to have the car on jack stands, sounds kinda dumb but I would rather use ramps. I also plan on doing the 03 crossmember too. The Steeda instructions say do one bolt at a time but to put the 03 crossmember on you need to have both of them out, will this be an issue?
Thanks,
Rick

If you are replacing your differential bushings and you like to drive your car aggressively, do occasional launches or like to go to the drag strip, do NOT use any material that starts with a "P" or ends with a "thane". If you're fixing your mom's car then those types of materials 'may' be fine but they are not going to work on your car.

ALWAYS replace the front and rear diff mounts at the same time with a material that can STABILIZE your differential housing. For more information on the Cobra IRS see the links in my sig.

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

Users who are viewing this thread