Differential cooler options

robiferretti

Established Member
What are some differential cooler options for a 2000 R people have found. I don't want the solution in the thousands of dollars. I read that the differential has the potential to overheat in constant high speed driving which I would not like to experience. Thanks in advance.

Powershift03

Clapped out race car
Established Member
The Diff coolers are more meant for the abuse of road racing. I doubt you will have any problem just doing high speed runs on an open road. There are thousands of high horsepower IRS equipped Cobras without the coolers.

My old R had the Kenny Brown Diff cooler, along with a crap load of road race mods. I never needed to use it on the street, or even when tearing over Mulholland Canyon.

Last edited:

robiferretti

Established Member
The Diff coolers are more meant for the abuse of road racing. I doubt you will have any problem just doing high speed runs on an open road. There are thousands of high horsepower IRS equipped Cobras without the coolers.

My old R had the Kenny Brown Diff cooler, along with a crap load of road race mods. I never needed to use it on the street, or even when tearing over Mulholland Canyon.

Even with 130-150 sustained speeds?

I would at least want to add a temp gauge to be able to back it down if need be. Just got nervous when reading in the common Cobra R questions thread and they mentioned over cooking differentials.

Powershift03

Clapped out race car
Established Member
Even with 130-150 sustained speeds?

I would at least want to add a temp gauge to be able to back it down if need be. Just got nervous when reading in the common Cobra R questions thread and they mentioned over cooking differentials.

Well, if your are concerned you could always put one in. I mean, it can't hurt. :beer:

Maximum Motorsports has a nice Diff cooler kit..... with the easy option to add a temp gauge....

MM IRS Differential Cooler Kit : Maximum Motorsports, the Latemodel Mustang Performance Suspension Leader!

Black Flag

Established Member
A diff cooler is definitely in order if you plan on running open-road races, such as the Silver State Classic. If the snout were to melt at those speeds it could do some serious damage... I ran a diff cooler on my terminator road race car, and most of the 00 Cobra R guys are doing the same. As someone else pointed out, you don't need it for the street or high-speed canyon runs...

It's also fairly pricey and you have to use a high quality cooler w/ fan and high-quality pump and you need to move the air out the back, not out the bottom side. Even the kits from Kenny Brown and Maximum Motorsports require some minor fabrication, but to build a kit yourself would cost almost as much as buying one from them by the time you tracked down the parts.

Powershift03

Clapped out race car
Established Member
Doesn't make any sense to run a diff cooler to the front of the car. The kits have high output fans on them, and work great in the rear of the car. In fact, my Kenny Brown cooler was mounted in the trunk of R155, and worked GREAT.

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
You wouldnt want to run the cooler from the front, imagine the length of feed and return hoses you would have to string under your car from front to back, and the amount of fluid that would be needed to fill this length of hose.

Keep it up under the bumper, where it will be only 2 feet or so from the diff.

FYI mine kicks in at 210, and when on, drops the rear end temp by a full 30 degrees down to 180. When on the highway traveling, the temp of my diff is usually about 150 -160.

Worked like a charm two weeks ago at Watkins Glen :rockon:

robiferretti

Established Member
You wouldnt want to run the cooler from the front, imagine the length of feed and return hoses you would have to string under your car from front to back, and the amount of fluid that would be needed to fill this length of hose.

Keep it up under the bumper, where it will be only 2 feet or so from the diff.

FYI mine kicks in at 210, and when on, drops the rear end temp by a full 30 degrees down to 180. When on the highway traveling, the temp of my diff is usually about 150 -160.

Worked like a charm two weeks ago at Watkins Glen :rockon:

what size cooler are you running and can you show a picture of where it is mounted? I am probably just going to piece together a kit like I did on my other car, mustangs are new to me though.

Established Member
PM RUSLOW. He built a very effective kit off ebay with used stock car parts for cheap. I'm sure he could give you some advise.

Steve

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Back in 2003 I emailed a friend who I had made at SVT regarding the SVT diff. cooler kit that they put together for the 2000 Cobra R. If I remember correctly it was $1800 or so. He provided me a list of the exact parts and pieces including fittings, and the brand names of the vendors who supported the parts for this kit.

I printed that email out at one point, but don't know were it is right now.

R

Last edited:

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
Back in 2003 I emailed a friend who I had made at SVT regarding the SVT diff. cooler kit that they put together for the 2000 Cobra R. If I remember correctly it was $1800 or so. He provided me a list of the exact parts and pieces including fittings, and the brand names of the vendors who supported the parts for this kit.

I printed that email out at one point, but don't know were it is right now.

R

The FRPP kit used to be M-4000-K. I believe you can search the internet and pull up a parts list somewhere. If not, I also have a copy of it...

Users who are viewing this thread