DILEMMA To Have or Not to Have?

03sLeEpeRSnaKe

Established Member
Ok I have a 2003 Mustang Cobra with about 25,000 miles on it. I have kept it in great condition and generally stock, I just have a Magnaflow cat back, K&N air filter and Bigger Tires in the back(315's). I wanted an Honest opinion from the people who actually own 03/04 Cobras.......Do you believe these cars are going to worth anything in the Future? I have a Satin Silver coupe which is 1 of 282 ever produced cause Ford discontinued Satin Silver early on and replaced it with Bright Silver Metallic. So I'm thinking about selling it or trading it in.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I agree, better off just enjoying the car. And if you can't do that your better off selling it.

HURTNEM

Well Blow Me Down!!!
Established Member
It seems to me that the days of cars appreciating for crazy amounts only applies to the late 60s early 70s muslce cars. It took many years for that to happen though, so anything is possible. No one knew it was going to turn out the way it did or else everyone would've held on to them then.

We've had some nice cars in the 80s (Buick Grand National, IROC, Cutlass 442) and 90s (ZR1, 93 Cobra, Cobra R, Mitsubishi 3000GT TT) and none of them are demanding high dollar. The only car I've noticed getting pretty good money is the Toyota Supra and 2000 Cobra R. No one can predict these things as it's all about who wants them later on down the line.

Imports have hit the scene harder than anything and it seems that mostly all the under 30 crowd are drawn to that side. Well guess who'll be buying our muscle cars later on? So if they're still into imports that means the demand for muscle cars won't be strong, so the value will be low. Again, no one can predict this, so I say enjoy your car today and don't be scared to get a new/different one tomorrow, because you may hold on to it for nothing and miss out on other fun cars in the meantime unless you have extra storage space and funds to have both. Just my thoughts.

black 10th vert

Established Member
Well, even though I fully believe they will gain in value eventually, it won't be in the short term, especially if the economy remains bad, and gas prices keep rising. Most of us say we don't care about mileage, but that is because our cars are not daily drivers. In short, I would say, if you can afford to hang onto it because you still love the car, and think it will retain value down the road, then keep it. On the other hand, if you are bored with it, don't just keep it "just in case" it might raise in value down the road. In the latter case, offload it now while you can still get a decent price for it, because the market will continue to drop for awhile as these cars get older. Even though I love this car, I kind of kick myself for selling my '65 Cobra replica to buy it, because those cars retain their value WAY better - in fact I ended up making a considerable amount of money on mine when I sold it. Now I have dumped a bunch of money into this car that I paid 26k for back in '06, and realize that I would be lucky to even get that now if I were to sell it, even though I probably have another 10-15k over the purchase price just in mods...:bash:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I agree with all of the above comments. Don't let your decision to sell/trade-in your Cobra be affected by thoughts of eventual appreciation in value. It may or may not happen depending on many factors. We're living in unprecedented times where projections and economic patterns are darn near impossible to rely on. My best advice is to enjoy the cars you drive, and do what you want to do when it comes time to consider a sale or trade. They're only cars. :)

1wild-horse

Purveyor of missed information
Established Member
might have to wait 50 years. by then most of us will be used up and too old to enjoy the cash if they do end up bringing stupid money. So might as well enjoy life today, you might not get to tomorrow..... I still say the best answer to this ongoing question is to have two, but i'm not that fortunate either.

xtremeskime21

Established Member
I agree, enjoy or sell it. I enjoy everything about the car, from working on it, to driving it and even when it's stored, just thinking about it!

03sLeEpeRSnaKe

Established Member
Thanks for all the feedback guys. I am enjoying the car very much. And I know you can't rely on the future economy. The only problem I was having is I don't have to get rid of my Cobra, and I wanted to get a new car too but the cars I'm looking at are performance cars too so having 2 "sports cars" is a little much when you kinda need a practical car where I live for the winter.

Plus I have been looking at cobras on ebay and other sites where people are selling cars and they are still relatively expensive for how old they are but still going down in value. I know the other problem with them becoming "collector cars" is the fact they made a bunch of them too. But as I stated in the original post I have a car thats only 1 of 282 built so? Plus I LOVE my 03 Cobra and kinda never want to part with it. It took me a while to finally get one and has been a dream car of mine since I first saw one in Michigan where I was living in late 2002. Its a bad ass car no question about it. But I want a new shelby or a vette z06, so keeping the cobra too isn't practical sine I need a winter car too? Maybe I'll just get a beater for the winter?

cbr repsol

Established Member
Will there be people that really wanna buy your car most likely , however many people have forgot what a 03/04 cobra is. A guy from my work was smoking 01 n/a cobras at the track.He tells me all the time he can beat me cause he takes them out all the time. I just kept telling him you right they are not that fast:rolleyes:. Then i cought him one day after work at the light . I walked his ass so bad. I just told him i only walked him, cause i put a 200 shot on it. lol he belived me.

black 10th vert

Established Member
Maybe you'll have time to get it sold while you are on vacation.:kaboom:

Jimmy, can you please explain what he did to get himself banned? Not questioning your authority, but I saw nothing against the rules posted in this thread. Did I miss something since yesterday?:??:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Jimmy, can you please explain what he did to get himself banned? Not questioning your authority, but I saw nothing against the rules posted in this thread. Did I miss something since yesterday?:??:

Just search his posts. That is not very tough to do is it?
It will be obvious.
I was not the only one to give him infractions, Sid did too, earlier.

The guy was a loose cannon, called names, wanted to be spoon fed answers, apparently was too good to search and read, and was posting everywhere almost like a spam bot. Addicted to the post new thread button.:burn::bash::nonono:

mysterio

Established Member
Tbh, there are lots of silver cobras out there, regardless of which variation of silver. I know, since I have one.

Assuming 20 years from now, when these things have already bottomed out in worth and *might* start climbing back up in value, I don't see any shade of silver as being more valuable than any other color.

Now, mystichrome might be a different story....

black 10th vert

Established Member
Just search his posts. That is not very tough to do is it?
It will be obvious.
I was not the only one to give him infractions, Sid did too, earlier.

The guy was a loose cannon, called names, wanted to be spoon fed answers, apparently was too good to search and read, and was posting everywhere almost like a spam bot. Addicted to the post new thread button.:burn::bash::nonono:

Sorry, I didn't bother to search his other posts, I just thought it was maybe related to this thread because of your previous post in this thread...

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Yeah, I was following a thread where this guy started spouting off on everyone. I just knew he'd get banned. He was like daring the admins/mods to send him on vacation. Hopefully he learned a lesson if and when he returns.

mrose75

Established Member

LOL, I was wondering why his response was so harsh, too. I thought it was related to this thread, as well. Confused the sh!t outta me. Well, I'm sure he deserved it.

Users who are viewing this thread