Do all mono blade throttle bodies have high idle issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Dang it's threads like this that make me pull my hair out trying to decide if I should stick with oem TB with whipple or single blade.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Car is idling at 900 RPMs right now. Not as low as I'd like but it's low enough no one will notice. It sounds like an idle.

A/F 14.7
Idle Air integrator 0
IAC duty cycle 24 (means it's low enough to make no difference)
Spark source 9 (in idle mode)
Spark 9 ~ 13 (it varies over time but it's changing so it's not pegged at a max or min value)
Coolant 180

Would prefer to get it lower but it's very livable for now so I can get the rest of the car dialed in and actually start driving it again.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Car is idling at 900 RPMs right now. Not as low as I'd like but it's low enough no one will notice. It sounds like an idle.

A/F 14.7
Idle Air integrator 0
IAC duty cycle 24 (means it's low enough to make no difference)
Spark source 9 (in idle mode)
Spark 9 ~ 13 (it varies over time but it's changing so it's not pegged at a max or min value)
Coolant 180

Would prefer to get it lower but it's very livable for now so I can get the rest of the car dialed in and actually start driving it again.
Great Job! :thumbsup:

Don 95Vert

Established Member
Don't forget that spark has a role in controlling idle also - it may be the reason your idle won't go any lower. Good job on tuning/dialing it in! BTW - the video is called a video because it is saved in a video format - it's just like anything else that uses in-software training animations, like MS Excel etc. video trainings. Sorry you did not like it - first complaint I heard since it was first released several years ago and MANY sold. Anyway, like I have been saying for a while, tuning is NOT brain surgery and more people should start doing it themselves!

Don LaSota

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Don, I liked the video, just got me by surprise as it's not what I was expecting. I thought it was a DVD you put in a DVD player and there'd be a person there walking you through things. I didn't realize it was a computer flash based slide type setup. I still enjoyed it and learned a lot :thumbsup:

Don is there a way to change idle spark in attempt to lower the idle some more? I figured there must be but flipping through the manual now I'm missing the spot.

Also I have a 4 degrees of timing removed globally like you suggest till the MAF is dialed in. I've only done the lower part of the MAF with free revs as you explain in the manual. I have yet to drive it.

Thanks again for a fantastic manual. I learned so much from it and was impressed with how current it was including 2011+ models and drive by wire throttle bodies etc. I highly recommend to anyone wanting to tune themselves.

Thanks
Malcolm

Don 95Vert

Established Member
On a Terminator - go to Spark>Idle>Scalar and lower the Lowest spark for idle control to something lower - try 5, or zero - on GT500s with a monoblade something even like -5 works well. Then you can try lowering the Desired Idle Spark Neutral some and see if that helps. Log Spark Source and be sure it is showing spark is in control of idle. You might even try lowering the Spark for Decel some and see what happens (won't help idle). If all this does not help, then maybe you have a defective, leaky TB - it does happen.

Another thing is if the idle air intergrator is exactly at zero, it ain't right. Normally that moves as you are logging and despite any corrections you may make, it is almost never at zero. If you get it within a half of a tenth, you are doing good. Even a tenth will still allow the IAC to do its job. Be sure to let it idle for a few minutes to get a good reading.

You are doing a great job though! Time to spread the word for people to start taking control of their own tuning and not be afraid of it!! If anyone wants to do what you are doing - just email me - be happy to help!

Don

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Thank you for the tips on adjusting idle spark. I will give that a shot tonight and see how it does.

My spark source was showing 9. When I blip the throttle I see a log source of 2. Is there a key or reference chart that tells us what these different sources mean? I'm guessing 9 is idle spark and 2 is part throttle just based on what I've seen.

My idle air integrator was originally going to 0.50 and pegging when I first started. Since my adjustments it starts out at 0.30 I believe when the car is cold. As the car warms and coolant temp comes up and idle goes down the idle air integrator gets closer to 0. It seems to sit at zero for a bit and then will bounce to say 0.02 and then back to 0 etc. Mine seems to sit at 0 more than say 0.02 so I do wonder if that's exactly right.

Also once the car has settled and it's idling at the 900 RPMs and I see IAC duty cycle at 24% I tried unplugging the harness from the IAC solenoid and the idle is not affected. This tells me the car is still idling to high for the IAC to do it's job which makes sense as your manual does say the IAC needs to be more in the 35 ~ 50% duty cycle range at idle.

Also forgot to mention in my post above that TPS counts are at 199 ~ 200 and when measured with a digital volt meter I get 0.966 volts so that should be spot on.

Will definitely pass on anyone that wants to tune their car your way. Once I have my car tuned and running I have a buddy with a GT500 that's asking me to tune his car too so I will hit you up at that time for the software licensing etc.

Malcolm

MalcolmV8

Established Member
FYI - I adjusted spark/idle/scalar - lowest spark for neutral idle from 5 to 0 and managed to get it idling as low as 840 rpms at one point. For the most part it idles between 850 ~ 900. Acceptable for now :)

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Glad to see you a getting a hang of it. Don is a great resource. :thumbsup:

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Yeah pretty exciting firing up the car on MY tune :) I need to figure out how to make it fire up real aggressively. You know how when you crank the car and right as it fires it sort of blips the throttle as though the person starting it was holding open the gas pedal and then let off when it fired up. I used to love that, mine starts up very smooth right now at the exact rpms lol.

black 10th vert

Established Member
Wow, I missed out on this thread for the past week, and it has really evolved into some great info! Now, I'm considering jumping into this tuning world myself.

Don 95Vert

Established Member
Looks like I gave good advice for once and it worked! LOL!

I say it all the time, it is NOT brain surgery! Instead of griping about this tuner or that tuner or arguing about who is the best tuner, YOU become the best tuner for YOUR car. You can spend a LOT more time fiddling with it than the time allotted during any dynotune.

Don

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator

I say it all the time, it is NOT brain surgery! Instead of griping about this tuner or that tuner or arguing about who is the best tuner, YOU become the best tuner for YOUR car. You can spend a LOT more time fiddling with it than the time allotted during any dynotune.

Don
Well put Don!

03Steve

Established Member

Don

:rolling:

SilverCobra7

Philippians 4:13
Established Member
Yeah pretty exciting firing up the car on MY tune :) I need to figure out how to make it fire up real aggressively. You know how when you crank the car and right as it fires it sort of blips the throttle as though the person starting it was holding open the gas pedal and then let off when it fired up. I used to love that, mine starts up very smooth right now at the exact rpms lol.

That's how mine starts! I noticed it when I've heard other peoples car start. Maybe the tuner did this on mine...

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

ugotbit03

4.6 ways to waste money
Established Member
Source Values-

Spark Source Values-

0-Crank or under speed
1-Base
2-Borderline
3-Torque Control
4-Pre-ignition
6-Stabilized Low Load
7-Cold Engine Low Load
8-Idle Feedback At Minium Clip
9-Idle Feedback
10-Spark Set By On-demand Self Test
15-Output State Control
16-Foreground Spark Borderline Clip
18-Closed-Throttle Deceleration Spark

I can't remember where I found the chart, It has Spark,Fuel and TQ Source info.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Source Values-

Spark Source Values-

0-Crank or under speed
1-Base
2-Borderline
3-Torque Control
4-Pre-ignition
6-Stabilized Low Load
7-Cold Engine Low Load
8-Idle Feedback At Minium Clip
9-Idle Feedback
10-Spark Set By On-demand Self Test
15-Output State Control
16-Foreground Spark Borderline Clip
18-Closed-Throttle Deceleration Spark

I can't remember where I found the chart, It has Spark,Fuel and TQ Source info.

Oh that's sweet. Saving that info. If you have fuel and other's please post.

VenomSVT03

CRUSHER
Established Member
Malcolm, i just started the car today and im having the same issue as you. My tuner gave me a quick tune so i can start the car otherwise it wouldnt start with the new maf. Did u ever figure out what the issue was with the high idle? Was is the tune being off or a bad throttle body? Did u have issues with vacum? My car always pulls around 21-22 and today my gauge was reading 16-18. Im thinking that also has to do with the tune being off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread