Do any of you Apten guys have 4.10 gears?

Scotts 03 COBRA

Established Member
Would 4.10 gears be overkill, when ported Apten's put down around 500 TQ---I will be going the apten route one of the days(I allready have a spare M112 to get ported from Vectors Whipple 03 cobra)and was considering doing 4.10 gears---What to you guys think?------------thank you
Scott

Fresh Cobra

505 RWHP Blvd Pimp
Established Member
4.10 are great gears for even a stock cobra so a ported eaton s/c is going to get the power to the street that much sooner with higher gears. I'll be putting on either 3.90, 4.10 or 4.30 gears as soon as my divorce is final. I may still have to sell my 04 Mystic so I'm not adding anything new to the Mods I already have until the divorce gets finalized!!! Wish me luck!!!

~ Fresh :coolman:

mwaull

SVT VENM
Established Member
i always wondered this. . . im not going to be at the track but maybe once or twice in the next couple yrs so im more concerned with how they perform on a roll race as well as i hear they are a lot of fun on the street!

:rockon:

99svtlightning

Established Member
3.55's seem to be a great gear for street and track performance. I can't hook up in second gear now w/ 3.55's, I couldn't imagine a lower gear!

Most solid axle guys seem to go with 3.73's.

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
Sonic Venum & Tetge has the 4.10's.

While Sonic Venum is trapping at about 120 to 125 dependent on track he is right at red line when he traps 125mph. thats an easy cure by getting a taller tire if u trap any higher then 130mph with 26" tall tires.

plus if u raced another Cobra with no gears & simular mods....guess who will usually win by the time u hit 3rd & 4th gear with 4.10's.

depending on what ur mod plans are & how much HP ur willing to put down. some believe that 4.10's are to short but if ur not going to hit 480rwhp+ it works out fine.

DaTruth

Established Member
I know KB guys with 4.10's. I mentioned you guys going with 4.10's about a year ago and I got bashed. I still think it is a good idea..

Scotts 03 COBRA

Established Member
I have 451hp/464tq with 2.93 pulley---I would like to be around
500hp/500tq with ported apten and 2.76 pulley---Would I be better off going with 3.73 since my car is mostly street driven and taken to the track occasionally,but will their be a big difference going from a 3.55---I don't want to regret not going with the 4.10's after it is all said and done!!! What do you think? ----- thank you Scottt

Voice of Reason

Established Member
I've never been in a '03 Cobra w/ 4.10s but I think 3.73s are a good compromise. In fact, I was all set to get them along with a ported Eaton and BF TB next month until I decided it's too dang hot out right now to be working on my car. I'll just wait until this winter to do it all. Besides, I put that money into a new 50" Sony LCD rear projection TV this last weekend and think it was a better choice right now. I already have a fast car, but my 27" TV was a POS so it needed upgrading more :)

DaTruth

Established Member
First of all look at other SC'd Mustangs. They have been running 4.10's FOREVER!! Now if you are planning on running 18's and 19's inch wheels then I suggest you stick with your stock gears, but if you are willing to put meats on your car to support the benefit of 3.73's or 4.10's you will be IMPRESSED..

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
Originally posted by DaTruth
I know KB guys with 4.10's. I mentioned you guys going with 4.10's about a year ago and I got bashed. I still think it is a good idea..

think i remember that thread. kinda stupid...IMHO.

scott, sonic venum has the apten & 2.90rr with a 75 shot when he was trapping 125mph at close to sea level. he was hitting red line at the pass.

now he is upping his shot to a 2 stage nitrous so he will no doubt have to get some 28" tall ET Street to keep it under 7k rpm.

3:73's wont make a world of a difference but get u less then 1/10th at the track...IMHO. 4:10's pull hard on 4th gear & 3rd feels almost like 2nd gear.

Daily Driving isnt too bad. at 90mph in 6th gear u should be at 3000rpm...thats not bad.

mwaull

SVT VENM
Established Member
im liking this idea of 4.10s . . . by the winter or so i am wanting 500-550 hp to the wheels so would the 4.10s be a benefit???

Its sounding good!

:rockon:

SonicVenum

11 sec. Member
Established Member
As Dave (P Mods) has said, I have 4.10s, and I love them.

I think I was one of the first to get them, and I got a lot of sh*t for it. I convinced a couple local people that gears were worth getting with this car.

I've trapped a high of 126, and the car was at ~6600-6700 rpm. 4th gear is just plain awesome with these gears.

I've had them since Feb '03, and have been loving them ever since.

My current pair of ET Streets are done, so my next pair will be 28" to give me some more room to add more power. With expansion at the end of the track, I should be able to trap well over 130 mph with 28" tires.

As for street traction... you've got to pedal it. However, Dave can attest that with a short burnout, even 315 Nittos can hold pretty damn well with these gears.

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
Originally posted by SonicVenum
As for street traction... you've got to pedal it. However, Dave can attest that with a short burnout, even 315 Nittos can hold pretty damn well with these gears.

thats wasnt a fair RACE i tell u. u should of put on my kuhmos & i should of had the Nitto's!

i would of said lates u big sucka :burnout: well until i was ready to shift into 4th gear at 85mph :( ... but then i would of shut down & said i won :p

SonicVenum

11 sec. Member
Established Member
Originally posted by Poisonous Mods
thats wasnt a fair RACE i tell u. u should of put on my kuhmos & i should of had the Nitto's!

i would of said lates u big sucka :burnout: well until i was ready to shift into 4th gear at 85mph :( ... but then i would of shut down & said i won :p
What are you a ricer now with all these excuses?:nonono:

:p

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
Originally posted by SonicVenum
What are you a ricer now with all these excuses?:nonono:

:p

dont use the old man's line :kaboom:

i'll race him any day....im just waiting for the day that he has arthritisa :bash: :bash: one of these days ;)

SonicVenum

11 sec. Member
Established Member
Originally posted by Poisonous Mods
dont use the old man's line :kaboom:

i'll race him any day....im just waiting for the day that he has arthritisa :bash: :bash: one of these days ;)
I just calls um like I sees um.:burnout:

Users who are viewing this thread