Do any of you Apten guys have 4.10 gears?

WS6JJP

Corn juice powered
Established Member
i have 3.73's in my SRA and they are great but 4.10's might even be more fun but it could also cost you some time at the track if you dont have the traction to go along with it. i definitely would like a ride in a 500hp cobra with 4.10's though:rolling:

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
Originally posted by WS6JJP
i have 3.73's in my SRA and they are great but 4.10's might even be more fun but it could also cost you some time at the track if you dont have the traction to go along with it. i definitely would like a ride in a 500hp cobra with 4.10's though:rolling:

shit, i had a 50shot & it didnt pull any thing like Sonic Venums car who had a 75shot in it :eek: :eek: :eek:

:rockon:

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
Originally posted by ZincDude
Well is weight a factor with Tetge's car with him in it?:shrug:

ohhh touchy subject. he did have 4.10's in it ONCE. after jaun beat him a million times at the track & he only had 3.55's on it, jaun converted him to the other side. then he was beating jaun all the time since they had simular mods now, well until he retired & gained to a whopping 350lbs.

he needs 4:30's now :D

DynoDan

Established Member
Has anyone tried 3.27 gears? I know back in the day, the positive displacement guys sometimes had better luck with less gear. My turbo notch loves the 3.27's, but that has more to do with the dynamics of how the turbo system works. It seems an 03/04 Cobra with gobs of torque from idle to redline wouldn't mind a set of 3.27's.

Am I crazy here?

JohnsDSGVert

Established Member
I have 4:10's

I have 4:10's in mine and am pushing the 500 mark....need to update my signature.......there is no comparison in the seat of the pants feel.......my friend has an '03....granted it's stock.....and the feel is quite different. at 60mph in 6th I am at 2050 rpms.......I have never been to the track...but I have a G-Timer.....I put down a 3.85 second 0 - 60 the other night and had a lousy 60' time of 2.33.....next time I will drop my tire pressure from 22lbs to 17lbs....I bet I hit 3.3 or 3.4 in my 0 - 60.

I LOVE 4:10's

SonicVenum

11 sec. Member
Established Member
Originally posted by DynoDan
Has anyone tried 3.27 gears? I know back in the day, the positive displacement guys sometimes had better luck with less gear. My turbo notch loves the 3.27's, but that has more to do with the dynamics of how the turbo system works. It seems an 03/04 Cobra with gobs of torque from idle to redline wouldn't mind a set of 3.27's.

Am I crazy here?
The only reason you'd want to go with LESS gear, is if you were making RIDICULOUS horsepower, and needed them to make it to the end of the track without redlining.

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
Originally posted by jtfx6552
I love "seat of the pants"...

It is never right.

take a look at this thread:
http://www.modfords.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7081

Only two cars in the top 25, Sonic venoum at number 8, with nitrous, btw and desert dog at number 21.

Jerry has put up a good 1/8 et with 3.90's.

Not exactly comclusive evidence that gears are better at the track.

JT

Bro, not to say that its conclusive but both of them have their best ET at a track thats 2710' above sea level. the times that they hit DA was over 3500' for Desert Dog & 4000+ for Sonic Venum.

not every 03 - 04 Cobra owners are on Sea Level Tracks or have NEGATIVE DA when running....that might be a different story in Gear Selection.

if ur not going to be running at the track this shouldnt even be an issue. Sonic Venum had no problems walking (prior to me giving him my NX Kit) when i had the 03 Cobra. gears make a difference by 1 to 2 tenths depending on what gears.

jtfx6552

Established Member
Originally posted by Poisonous Mods
Bro, not to say that its conclusive but both of them have their best ET at a track thats 2710' above sea level. the times that they hit DA was over 3500' for Desert Dog & 4000+ for Sonic Venum.

not every 03 - 04 Cobra owners are on Sea Level Tracks or have NEGATIVE DA when running....that might be a different story in Gear Selection.

if ur not going to be running at the track this shouldnt even be an issue. Sonic Venum had no problems walking (prior to me giving him my NX Kit) when i had the 03 Cobra. gears make a difference by 1 to 2 tenths depending on what gears.

I have been racing for years, many different cars. Every time I just added gear, without any other changes, the car went slower.

I had a 351 W powered 82 GT, went from 3.73's (which I installed when it had a 302) to 4.10's, car slowed down. Added much more mods finally got past where I was. Then since I picked up things so fast with the first gear change, I decided, lets see what 4.56's will do? Car slowed down again...

Sonic Venoms car runs great, it also has 500+ rwhp! I think that is were his great Et comes from, not the gears.

Back in the day Hammer and I had similar mods, my car actually had less (stock H-Pipe) to his Bassani. He had 4.10's I had 3.55's. my car had run many many 11's, including an 11.70 on F1's and 11.41 on drag radials. we could not get his car into the 11's. We were both at the same track on the same night. It wasn't driving as I took a couple of cracks at driving his.

We busted balls all night, he finally got one 11.9x on my DR's.

Take a look at this web page, make sure to read number 9 at the end of the page:
http://mclements.net/mrc-PowerTorque.html

As for side by side from a roll on the street, if two cars line up one with a higher numerical gear, but at a speed such that both cars are in the same trans gear, i.e both in second or both in third, the car with the more rear gear will immediately pull the car less gear, provided he has traction.

However, the car with more gear will have to shift before the car with less gear, then the situation is reversed. The car that hasn't shifted will have more T at the rear wheels and will start to make up ground.

If you start the roll race such that the higher rear geared car is in the next gear the the lower geared car will pull first. I.e the 4.10 car at 4K in third while the 3.55 car is at whatever RPM that speed is in second. Of course because 3.55 and 4.10 are not that far apart, the 3.55 car will be close to redline and will have to shift, at which case the see saw switches back in favor of the 4.10 car.

The thing is, the gear does not add any power, it just changes around how it gets to the pavement.

With n/a 4.6's or centrifigal blown 4.6's, they have no low end torque. Big gears help those cars get into the power band from a stop and are needed for good 60 fts. 4.6's with positive displacement blowers don't have that problem.

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
well i would have to disagree.

i dont have any real power mods on the Mach1 & there is a substantial difference from a stock geared Mach1 to a crazy geared up Mach1.

the other Mach i raced jumped me at the lights and was a full car lenght ahead until we almost got to the 1000f mark & when i got into 4th gear i pulled him & passed him at the line. so to say that its all relative to just power for ET, i would have to highly disagree on that note. i only trapped 101 to his 100mph. this was also evident when Sonic Venum would pull on Desert Dogs car at the end of the track when they had almost identical mods. there is a difference and its shows up at the track.

so saying that Sonic Venum did it only on power is to say that a pulley is not a mod that will net u any thing.

jtfx6552

Established Member
Originally posted by Poisonous Mods
well i would have to disagree.

i dont have any real power mods on the Mach1 & there is a substantial difference from a stock geared Mach1 to a crazy geared up Mach1.

the other Mach i raced jumped me at the lights and was a full car lenght ahead until we almost got to the 1000f mark & when i got into 4th gear i pulled him & passed him at the line. so to say that its all relative to just power for ET, i would have to highly disagree on that note. i only trapped 101 to his 100mph. this was also evident when Sonic Venum would pull on Desert Dogs car at the end of the track when they had almost identical mods. there is a difference and its shows up at the track.

so saying that Sonic Venum did it only on power is to say that a pulley is not a mod that will net u any thing.

Did you read the link I included above?

What are you trying to say about the machs? That you had more gear than the other one, yet he pulled you out off the line but you still won?

Was it an RT thing, or did he out 60 ft you?

If he out 60 footed you and still lost, something is definetly weird. Could you post the slip?

N/A and centrifigal blown 4.6's are definetly a different animal compared to positive blown 4.6's. that is why I included the above paragraph:

With n/a 4.6's or centrifigal blown 4.6's, they have no low end torque. Big gears help those cars get into the power band from a stop and are needed for good 60 fts. 4.6's with positive displacement blowers don't have that problem.

Since the '03's came out higher numerical gears has been a hot topic.

I went to the 2002 '03 cobra shootout, mainly to line up with cars with more gear to see which gear worked best. Several cars had 3.73's and 4.10's. Of the cars with more gear, only nitrous Pete with 3.73's put up a better time than me on IRS, but with nitrous and slicks to my street tires.

From the NMRA website:
http://www.nmraracing.com/news/102902/cobra_shootout/
Qualifying:

Race Tire
1. Paul Svinicki 10.975 132.75
2. Rob Raymer 11.784 121.96
3. Pete Misinsky 11.662 121.63
4. Francisco Reyes 11.819 116.59

Street Tire
1. Matthew Fahgee 11.784 121.96
2. John Triozzi 11.790 120.33
3. Pete Ricart 12.012 117.50
4. Jeff Schmell 12.018 113.93
5. Lucas Marles 12.064 118.43
6. Rich Juliano 12.279 118.43
7. John Galway 13.100 109.76
8. Shane Reffett 13.355 100.45
9. Don Brittan 13.358 111.39

In race tire Pete had 3.73's, not sure what Paul had in his straight axle,, Francisco had 4.10's.

In street tire Pete Ricart and Rich had 4.10's. Some others may have too, but Matt was on 3.55's.

Went to the modular shootout last year, the only car faster than me was the JDM car, they had 3.55's.

So all I can offer is on the same track, same day, no car with similar mods, many with more mods, with more gear has ever been faster than mine.

That coupled with the list has me convinced me that 3.55's are the way to go.

Last edited:

trey193

Established Member
I think the modford thread of the fastest cars is a pretty good indicator of what gear works best. 3.73 may be a descent choice but I wouldnt trade my 3.55 for anything right now. Put up a number with a current combo and once you have maxed it out then do some gear expierimenting thats the way I look at it. Its obvious with my car and several others that the 3.55 works well.

SonicVenum

11 sec. Member
Established Member
I love "seat of the pants"...

It is never right.

take a look at this thread:
http://www.modfords.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7081

Only two cars in the top 25, Sonic venoum at number 8, with nitrous, btw and desert dog at number 21.

Jerry has put up a good 1/8 et with 3.90's.

Not exactly comclusive evidence that gears are better at the track.

JT
WOW... quite a little war going on here. I just chose this post to quote since it's the shortest.

Okay, like Dave said, my 11.31@123 came at 4300' DA, and off of a 1.64 60'. But, that's not really the issue.

I got my gears at the same time as pretty much everything else (tax return:-D ), so I can't conclusivly say what the gears by themselves did for me. However, as Dave also said, when Tetge and I raced on SEVERAL occasions back when he had the stock gears, and I the 4.10s, we'd be even until we got to the 2nd 1/8th. At our power level (pretty much equal to eachother), and at that DA, I would KILL him in 4th. That's primarily because of the gears. I would shift into 4th right after the 1/8th, while he had to wait until farther down the track.

In conclusion, I can't tell someone to get 4.10s cause it'll help at the track. All I can say is that I like them. I'm getting to the power level where I'll be using 28" tires next because of the gears. I don't regret getting them. Most likely, I will not pass 600whp. Instead I'll get lower ETs with suspension, and tires.:burnout:

Last edited:

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
Did you read the link I included above?

What are you trying to say about the machs? That you had more gear than the other one, yet he pulled you out off the line but you still won?

Was it an RT thing, or did he out 60 ft you?

If he out 60 footed you and still lost, something is definetly weird. Could you post the slip?

N/A and centrifigal blown 4.6's are definetly a different animal compared to positive blown 4.6's. that is why I included the above paragraph:

no i dont think i can find the 1 slip out of my 180 passes i made since end of december in 03.

i have no reasons to lie and i only tell it the way ive seen it. pulling a tenth or so is a big difference at the top half of the track. the list of cars & et u posted is nice to look at but its meaningless to me. since alot of them have different mods & alot of them im sure have different shifts points & some with manual shifters should shift faster then the other (unless they have all gone to auto's) then the tunning factor comes into play as the bigger part of the picture.

as sonic venum stated him self, mod for mod it was almost identical but just for the gears.

Pic of slips on 05/17/04...only 120runs...so forgive me if i dont want to dig through each & every one of them.

attachment.php

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread