Do I really want a terminator?

Colby2013

Established Member
Okay, guys. I'm new to this forum so I'm hoping I get a friendly and informational response. My issue is this, I'm 19 and currently going to college, and at the moment I have a 2013 v6 mustang, but I have really been looking seriously into selling my current car and getting a terminator. But my whole problem is would it be practical to trade a car that has 30,000 miles that has no issues to buy a used car that is 10 years old. I found a 2003, with 50,000 miles and light mods for $17,000 which sounded reasonable and is the color I really want and it's making it just much too hard to keep mine. So basically I'm wondering how is maintenance on a terminator that is a daily driver? What should I be afraid of? I understand that everyone on here is bias towards the cobra, but I'd really like some good advice.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
no, you don't. ten year old terminators are not a good idea as a daily, especially a 19 yr old college kid. maybe 5 yrs ago, but not now. parts are being discontinued right and left. gas mileage will be worse. I'm betting car insurance for you will be higher.

practicality wise...keep that '13 v6.

stangfreak

Established Member
Keep the v6 dude. Trust me. These cars are not for everyone. I would also not drive it daily.

Colby2013

Established Member
I did check into insurance, and it is actually slightly cheaper which was surprising. And if I did happen to get one, I was really looking into buying a cheaper car that would be reliable with good mileage. Also I'm on my 4th mustang right now, because I can't seem to keep one very long so I don't even know how long I'd keep one. It's just one of those dream cars I've always loved and I want one before I turn 50 and can't seem to find one.

Last edited:

KaotikGT

Established Member
Your age is whats going to hurt you. They are a lot of car even with lite mods. I don't know if I had a 19 year old son I would want him in one. But that part is on you. I traded my 07 GT in on my cobra and I have loved it from the min. I got it. I don't see maintenance as any more than your V6, just use quality oils. I would say do it but, like I mentioned earlier, its a lot of car for a 19 year old that thinks they are indestructible.

Colby2013

Established Member
Your age is whats going to hurt you. They are a lot of car even with lite mods. I don't know if I had a 19 year old son I would want him in one. But that part is on you. I traded my 07 GT in on my cobra and I have loved it from the min. I got it. I don't see maintenance as any more than your V6, just use quality oils. I would say do it but, like I mentioned earlier, its a lot of car for a 19 year old that thinks they are indestructible.

Well, like I said I'm on my 4th. My first one at 16 was a supercharged 2009 that I loved, but it started giving me issues so we traded it off. I also know I'm not indestructible, I've always been known by my friends as the guy who babies his cars everywhere he goes. Another issue I've ran into which has made me want to trade even more is that I've been modding my '13 for over a year now and I've came extremely close to pulling the trigger on a turbo set up that would put me around the 550whp mark but that would also put me close to what I've seen the engines limits with other people. Then I would be forced to build the motor, and it would be way too much trouble than what it's worth right now. I know y'all are thinking why a v6? Yes, I could be in a 5.0, but I wanted something different.

Last edited:

Pantera1

Established Member
Okay maybe I can give you better perspective than everyone else. I'm 20 now, bought it when I was 19. I had a 94 before it but not the cobra is my daily and it doesn't give me many issues at all, I do suggest getting another vehicle if you have the means to just so the cobra isn't doing all the work. My vote is that you go for it so long as you can think you can do it

Mulldune

Established Member
I would say do it, ( but I would get a winter beater ) if it turns out you don't like it , sell it. There is always someone looking for a Terminator

G04cobra

Established Member
Wait till you graduate, then buy one. Hopefully by the you will:
A. be making more money
B. owe less on your V6
C. afford a GT500 (flame suit on) :burn:

Colby2013

Established Member
Wait till you graduate, then buy one. Hopefully by the you will:
A. be making more money
B. owe less on your V6
C. afford a GT500 (flame suit on) :burn:

Nothing is owed on the v6 right now. So the way I have been looking at it, sell my current car, buy the cobra for 17k or less and use left over money and some of what I already have for a civic or something practical for daily driving.

JMoore112

JM0 SVT
Established Member
Will you have cash left over after buying at that price? Are you working through college or have your parents helping with extra cash flow? You will need extra cash to put into the car. I owned a 95 through college and honestly could not maintain and mod it up to my standards. That V8 cost way too much to DD. With insurance, rent, food, misc college expenses... It just was not practable. I ended up getting a sport bikes stead and paid $12/month for insurance and waaay less on fuel. Just some things for you to consider if you don't have a lot of help from your parents.

When your making money after college, pour all that extra cash into your dream car.

Colby2013

Established Member
Will you have cash left over after buying at that price? Are you working through college or have your parents helping with extra cash flow? You will need extra cash to put into the car. I owned a 95 through college and honestly could not maintain and mod it up to my standards. That V8 cost way too much to DD. With insurance, rent, food, misc college expenses... It just was not practable. I ended up getting a sport bikes stead and paid $12/month for insurance and waaay less on fuel. Just some things for you to consider if you don't have a lot of help from your parents.

When your making money after college, pour all that extra cash into your dream car.

My situation is that I live with my parents, have a full time job, not because I have to, but choose to for extra money. They pay for school, and pretty much everything except gas occasionally and whenever I eat out. But with my income and saving habits I am in no means hurting, and have enough money saved to buy a reliable commuter car such as a civic or something.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
and have enough money saved to buy a reliable commuter car such as a civic or something.

this is a 180 from your first post

don't expect reasonable answers if you are changing the just of the thread within 1 hr of making the OP. you sound like you already have all the answers

Colby2013

Established Member
this is a 180 from your first post

don't expect reasonable answers if you are changing the just of the thread within 1 hr of making the OP. you sound like you already have all the answers

I didn't say I was in a money bind in my first post. I did ask how a terminator is as far as a daily driver because It wouldn't just sit around, I would be driving it 3-5 times a week short distances, and sometimes to meets around the state and in Texas. But I can buy a car to drive to class that is 30 minutes away to keep miles off of the mustang.

oneof185

Established Member
Nothing is owed on the v6 right now. So the way I have been looking at it, sell my current car, buy the cobra for 17k or less and use left over money and some of what I already have for a civic or something practical for daily driving.

I would do this, if you can buy something else to drive most of the time or at least winter,

Colby2013

Established Member
I would do this, if you can buy something else to drive most of the time or at least winter,

I'm more worried about the mileage to school than winter. In Oklahoma we usually have maybe a week of bad weather each winter, and I have my lifted blazer for those days.

usmcsvtwannabe

Not a noob
Established Member
I daily mine, but by daily I mean 3-5 miles a day maybe. 10 miles if its a crazy day. I have had no real big issues. My car has 78k miles on it now and as long as you take care of her she will take care of you. But that being said this shit isnt cheap and gas isnt either. I also drive her on 100-250 mile road trips 4-5 times a year and she does fine. Just do your research and dont stretch yourself beyond your means. If something happens to this car you gotta make sure you have a way to fix it or get around without it. Goodluck on everything

Colby2013

Established Member
I daily mine, but by daily I mean 3-5 miles a day maybe. 10 miles if its a crazy day. I have had no real big issues. My car has 78k miles on it now and as long as you take care of her she will take care of you. But that being said this shit isnt cheap and gas isnt either. I also drive her on 100-250 mile road trips 4-5 times a year and she does fine. Just do your research and dont stretch yourself beyond your means. If something happens to this car you gotta make sure you have a way to fix it or get around without it. Goodluck on everything
When you say gas isn't cheap I'm assuming you're meaning 93, which is what I see everyone running. But here in Oklahoma 91 octane(which is what I run) is the highest available, so I'm guessing that wouldn't be a huge issue as long as it wasn't tuned specifically for 93.

Tractionless1

Established Member
Op, coming from someone who had a hobby car in college, stick with your current ride or something of said practicality. Concentrate on your studies there's plenty of time to horse around with cars after school.

Users who are viewing this thread