Do I really want a terminator?

suby_do

Established Member
I bought mine at 19. If I had to dobit again I would have passed. Mine was a 4k mile car for 20k 4 years ago. Its made for some tight times a few times. I have a truck I use for my dd. I would never want to dd the cobra. Its a pain to drive on a daily basis and some what uncomfortable. Keep what you have till your out and on your own. Living on your own isn't cheap and having a car like that won't make it easy.

JustaGT

N/A Ain't For Me!
Established Member
You can use 91 if it is tuned for it. But like most have said gas is expensive, maintenance is expensive, mods are expensive, pretty much everything about the car is expensive and a pain in the ass to work on. But it is your money and it seems like somehow at 19 you have more than I do so good luck in the decision. With that said I am also with the majority when I say get a decent daily driver because even though it doesn't snow or ice too much here in Oklahoma I can assure you the Cobra isn't a snow vehicle. And it also isn't a rain vehicle, especially if you go out and get drag radials because you find out it won't hook at all.

JustaGT

N/A Ain't For Me!
Established Member
$52 a month?! Cheaper than my quote. Where are you guys insuring your cars?

Hagerty........I pay $500 a year I'm 35 yrs old.

No joke I use American Collector's Car Insurance and it's $700 something a year. Which is tons cheaper than what I was paying with USAA before I switched. I am 28 with a clean record btw.

quad

Established Member
I think this car is starting to show it's age a little. I've owned it for 9 years (since new) - and it has a rock solid motor under the hood. However - I've had to call the tow truck twice this year. Once for a busted transmission output shaft and another because I somehow managed to bust out some seals in the rack and pinion while coasting the car into a parking lot after the battery died on my commute home.

I got her patched up and still is my daily driver. I have 57,400 miles on it now. Always fun to drive.
My battery died on my wife and I as we pulled into the driveway two weeks ago. How lucky we were that it happened there and not out on the road at 9 pm! We had to push it into the garage. I hooked up a charger and the battery was at 10%! I took it to AA and they quickly determined my negative clamp on the battery was loose. That one was totally on me since I have a bad habit of keeping it loose for easy removal. From now on it will be tightened properly - I hope that was the only reason lol! Car has been going great since.

quad

Established Member
I bought mine at 19. If I had to dobit again I would have passed. Mine was a 4k mile car for 20k 4 years ago. Its made for some tight times a few times. I have a truck I use for my dd. I would never want to dd the cobra. Its a pain to drive on a daily basis and some what uncomfortable. Keep what you have till your out and on your own. Living on your own isn't cheap and having a car like that won't make it easy.

The seats are uncomfortable for sure. Maybe for a smaller person they will fit better. I would not recommend it as a daily.

quad

Established Member
No joke I use American Collector's Car Insurance and it's $700 something a year. Which is tons cheaper than what I was paying with USAA before I switched. I am 28 with a clean record btw.

I have Grundy's. Mine is a little more than yours ($900 per year) but I have an agreed replacement value of 50k. It would be very comparable to yours at 30k. I was interested in Haggerty initially and was told they don't insure cars over 700 hp.

Last edited:

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm to anal to even think about ever daily driving my cobra. I get pissed when I have a couple bugs on my bumper!

JustaGT

N/A Ain't For Me!
Established Member
I have Grundy's. Mine is a little more than yours ($900 per year) but I have an agreed replacement value of 50k. It would be very comparable to yours at 30k. I was interested in Haggerty initially and was told they don't insure cars over 700 hp.

I suppose that is correct then because mine is insured at 30k exactly. Lol :beer:

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I also have grundy, mines insured for only 23.5k and pay 350 a year.

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
I'm not sure what the complaints are about the seats. I'm a little more on the short side I guess being less than 6 feet tall; but these are one of the best supporting, comfortable long distance seats I've experienced in a car.

quad

Established Member
I'm not sure what the complaints are about the seats. I'm a little more on the short side I guess being less than 6 feet tall; but these are one of the best supporting, comfortable long distance seats I've experienced in a car.

I am fairly big at close to 300 lbs and 6'-2" and the bucket seats press into the sides of my upper legs. Even when I weighed 240 lbs was this an issue. My wife just disappears in them with loads of room on all sides since she is just over 100 lbs and 5'-3". So I am thinking a smaller, narrow person would find them much more comfortable.

Aftrbrnr

Established Member
I'm also curious to what parts are being discontinued, are they Terminator specific parts or SN-95/"New Edge" parts in general?

starnsey

Established Member
I'm also curious to what parts are being discontinued, are they Terminator specific parts or SN-95/"New Edge" parts in general?

Both. I've seen parts drop off of Tousley Ford's website like flies. Especially the more in-demand ones.

Colby2013

Established Member
Alright, guys. Thanks for all the advice supporting both sides, and even the small bit of financial investment advice (I've got that covered). I ended up talking it over with my dad and decided to stick with the six, but to find a cheaper toy to mess around with on the weekends. I came across a 2000 gt convertible, 78,000 miles on the body, it has a terminator engine swap with 2,000 miles on it, auto transmission, and solid rear end. The guy selling it said it's his son-in-law's car, but he's in jail so it's getting sold. He really knows nothing about the car such as if the engine is stock, if the transmission is stock, and also the rear end. He just said he believes it's putting out over 500hp, and he said if he remembered correctly it ran around 12.5. Other than that, all he said is it has a new top, and the guy put over $12,000 in it. He's trying to get $9,500 for it which I thought was high considering I don't know what's done to it. What are y'alls opinions on value and anything else I should look for?

Macker

Established Member
If you're going to buy one, suggest you do your research, and try and find someone who can check the car out for you. I learned the hard way; after purchasing mine, I only put about 2K Miles on mine before it developed a motor problem. Try to find one that's not been modified too much, if at all. As others have said, it can be expensive. Good luck if you decide to buy one.

blacksnake2001

Established Member
good luck with all that man! I'm 20 and in an 01, full time college and it's fun to toy around in. some day I'll get a termi but like everyone else is saying, it's kind of pricey. I think gas is my biggest complaint and I hate putting miles on it even though I only drive 3 miles to class. Good luck!

hotcobra03

Established Member
I got 352, 000 miles as a daily driver...90%+ is still original..

we added noise and are happy with ours ..didnt buy it to kill it..

I wish I had another 1 or 2

Users who are viewing this thread