Do I take the plunge??

BlueSnake01

Established Member
Drive the car first OP. Its worlds difference between them both in every level.

Cobra has the "unique" looks and well a big name behind it as well. I wouldn't trade my Cobra for a 5.0 but I alost probably wouldn't trade a 5.0 for a Cobra unless I REALLY wanted one for said reasons. Both are great cars, far as resale value, what does it matter? If you're planning on keeping the Cobra, its useless worrying about the value, same with the 5.0

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
The 03's were available June of 2002. You are looking at 12 years....
Do you also believe your car is only worth $30cnd? The new one is nicer inside, about the same straight line speed and better handling car.

I make that trade all day long if im the guy with the 03! 03+$10 for the 13 and its a much fairer trade imo.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I would keep the '13 GT for most of the reasons already stated. Do you drive the GT more than just on weekends now? If so, unless you buy a DD you're likely not going to drive the Terminator only on weekends. Think long and hard before you do this. And be prepared to dump some money into the Terminator in the short run. It's an 11-12 year old car and depending on how the car was driven and how it is modded, you'll be replacing stuff. And say goodbye to the quality and features you've become accustomed to with your GT. The Terminator can also be a mod/money magnet. Me? As much as I loved my old '03 Cobra, I would never trade a '13 GT for one. Not unless I have an excellent/newer DD and I had the surplus money to lay down on a muscle car I'd race on weekends, or maybe drive/cruise on weekends. JMO.

fullthrtle

Established Member
The cobras are nice and yes I would like to have one. Would I give up my 14 for one? NO. I want both lol. But if it's your dream car as you said it is and your willing to do it then go for it. 03/04 Cobras are getting hard to find.

Tezz500

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
Established Member
CoBro is 4 Life

hollywood-hogan-nwo-4-life-o.gif

coyotefiveoh

Established Member
thanks for all the input guys, i will be looking at it next week sometime and take it for a drive and make my decision. :) It is a very clean car that has never been tracked. Car has been well maintained & alot of the high wear items have been replaced. All original documentation with the car and paint is mint so is interior. Atleast, so he says. :)

I do have a very reliable DD that gets great fuel economy as i think i stated above. I dont drive my GT enough. I drove it lots when i first bought it, I dont have the time & need my truck for daily jobs around the house.

& as much as i would like to believe it, i dont think my car is worth anymore than 30k, considering you can buy a new one for a little more than that with less KM.... mine has 22,000 KM which is almost 14k Miles.

I have never seen a cobra in Canada with asking price less than 25,000. If it is, its usually beat with a hurt motor or high miles/km

Last edited:

da5deuce

heatsoaked
Established Member
Well if you're going to garage it for selling on a later date then go for it. The price is a bit high to me honestly but the cobra will retain value WAY better than any 5bro. You can always get another 13-14 GT or 11-12 down the line when they're in the teens for pricing because they surely will be in the not-so-far future.

SC Heaven

Red Whine
Established Member
Hmm. I have to say I am confused by some of the criticism of the Cobra. Now I won't say it's a nice car to drive, because it really isn't at times. Comments about the brakes, steering / handling , clutch are all right on. But would I call my car uncomfortable? No, not by a longshot. But I am one of the remaining few on a stock suspension (for now). As for as the squeaks / noises / rattles, I am at a loss. My Cobra is at 82k miles and is squeak / rattle free inside. I will concede that there is a LOT of road noise, but no out of place noises.

Then again I seem to be one of maybe 3 people whose coolant crossover plug wasn't seized shut, so I am more convinced by the day my car is a bit of a unicorn.

Rambling aside, I would say go for it, but heed the advice to drive it first. It is a fantastically fun car, but it is much more raw and unrefined than a newer 5.0.

Plus, we could always use another clean Redfire on the site. :beer:

Good luck whichever way you end up going.

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
Just my $0.02:
I've owned my Cobra for 11 years and I will say it's a great car in a lot of ways, but all things being equal, even if the Cobra were brand new, it can't compare to a 13 GT.

The 13 GT is a much more modern car with better technology and a MUCH nicer interior.

The 03 Cobra is a raw performance machine with no amenities. There are no creature comforts and the interior is pretty much dated crap compared to a 13 GT. Hell, my Mach 460 radio can't even play MP3's. Depending on the exhaust you have, it can be loud since the mufflers are pretty much right under the back seats and echo into the cabin (great design there - NOT).

Now, if all you care about is performance, such as great acceleration, excellent braking and great handling, you'll like the Cobra.
If you want something easier to live with, stick with the 13 GT.

Hell, just slap a blower on the GT and be done with it.

Dragu1a

Established Member
i understand your point in the trade completely and i agree with your thinking. ive driven both. the 5.0 is the better DD but for a fun weekend, local meets car the cobra takes it. it looks and acts the part, even in stock form.
it will hold its value better down the road. with the 2015 mustang coming out, i wouldnt be surprised if the terminator is worth more than the 5.0 in 5 years. especially in Canadia where terminators command a premium. do they sell 5.0s in Canada (new) or do you have to cross the border? a Canadian can cross the border anywhere and find a 5.0 within a few miles. a million to choose from. for a terminator, you have to search the country to find a good one.

since your plan is to have a sweet weekend car that you can have fun with and show off at meets and what not, and its been your goal for a long time, i say do it. worst case, if you get bored of it, you can always sell it and not lose your ass because the car is already in Canada. most Americans dont understand the premium a terminator pulls in Canada.

steve nailed it.

My fellow 5.bro what you need is a boss intake thread/

i spoke too soon. bawss intake is a game changer...probably illegal in canada.

Last edited:

svtshadow

Banned
The two cars are not equal and will never be equal, so to those of you who are like "With both cars being equal....." forget it. Clearly OP wants something car has history, story and mystic behind it and he will not be looking to drive it as a DD but more of a toy, so he probably wont mind the squeeks and NVHs that come with Cobra. Also I understand that OP wants a car that will hold value or has a history of holding value.

Moreover, looks like OP is bored with the whole 5.0BRO and wants the CoBRO tag.

I highly RECOMMEND TERMINATOR!

OFF TOPIC
How expensive is it to do the GT500 front fascia?

coyotefiveoh

Established Member
thanks for more input!

I got lucky with the gt500 fascia.
Guy had a 2013 gt500 & wanted his car to look like a cobra jet... long story short, i traded my base gt bumper for his gt500 bumper... went to house, ripped mine off, and threw the gt500 one on... (even though it was grabber blue at the time!)
So for me, it only costed a $25 gas & $350 to paint it!

check out the link for more info on the gt500 front bumper swap & pics of the grabber blue front with DIB body... its interesting too say the least haha. Page 2 has the pictures.

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/2011-mustang-talk/538458-2013-gt500-front-bumper-2013-gt.html

Last edited:

Riddla

It's for your own protection
Established Member
I wouldnt do it. I would just start modding your 5.0 to make it more fun.
Slicks, gears, and maybe a small shot.

Not only are you going to trade for an older car, you will still pay out money?

Hell no

Zemedici

Established Member
why do you say that? :) Just curious :)

From what he says, its mint. Although I have not seen it yet.

Jesus how did I miss this?

My cobra is a 10 year old car, it rattles, squeaks, and is LOUD ( Bassani CB with O/R X pipe) - i cant even hear my supercharger over my exhaust. I daily drive mine, so I'm used to it. But every time i let a friend drive it, they all go on and on about how nice the car is, and how i should never trade it, blah blah.

If the car's going to be a weekend warrior, I would definitely recommend the cobra. If its going to be a daily driver and you want comfort, I would stick with the 5.0. Since I'm daily driving whatever I got, the 5.0 woulda been nice, but I dont mind since my commute to work is <2km. :D

5.0 with brembos/recaros/track apps = secks

And you have the best color, imo.

Users who are viewing this thread