Do long tubes eliminate the infamous popping/gargle???

jaehow23

Established Member
What's going on everyone? I've been watching a lot of exhaust videos lately and I've noticed that on the cars with long tubes, that popping/gargle on deceleration/revs seems to be gone. The popping sound is literally what made me want a 4V mustang, power was an afterthought for me. But now that I'm researching power adders, if you go full exhaust will you lose that distinct feature the 4V is known for?

Also, if there are any LTs that don't eliminate the popping, which are they because I haven't found any yet...

Thanks.

jaehow23

Established Member
I've got kooks + their midpipe + stingers and mine pops every time I let off the gas. :)

Well that is fantastic news. You wouldn't happen to have any footage of your exhaust setup, would you? Kooks sound the best to me, I like the pitch and tight raspy punch they have.

Zemedici

Established Member
Well that is fantastic news. You wouldn't happen to have any footage of your exhaust setup, would you? Kooks sound the best to me, I like the pitch and tight raspy punch they have.

I don't - I've been talking about making one for a week now. Tell ya what I'll make one tomorrow, that cool? :beer:

Woody6799

Established Member
I have kooks 1 5/8 with catless H and Mac flowpaths, it makes all sorts of noise on hard decel lol

jaehow23

Established Member
I think it may be because lots of the videos on youtube are flybys, it may be why I don't hear it. but I've watched literally 98% of videos involving Cobra and Kooks combos and I have yet to hear one with the popping.

two people telling me otherwise is refreshing, though.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Some of its in the tune. Mine did it bad after header install on decel. I've since switched tuners and it's almost completely gone. Exhaust still pops a little at idle on 92 fuel. But on e85 it's completely gone!

Edit: BTW I hated the popping on decel, mine was so bad it reminded me of a old farm grain truck.

Last edited:

96gt02

Established Member
I have bassani mid lengths and mINE pops more with them then anything

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
Some of its in the tune. Mine did it bad after header install on decel. I've since switched tuners and it's almost completely gone. Exhaust still pops a little at idle on 92 fuel. But on e85 it's completely gone!

Edit: BTW I hated the popping on decel, mine was so bad it reminded me of a old farm grain truck.

The popping can be lessened or increased by tweaking decel spark timing. It is essentially combustion in the exhaust, that's why usually it only pops untill the injectors shut off. So OP if you retard the decel spark a bit you'll get pop on pretty much any setup.

Last edited:

jaehow23

Established Member
I'm a fan of the popping that's one thing I want to keep around if it's possible. Are there any cons to retarding the deceleration spark? The sound is awesome..but not worth problems

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm a fan of the popping that's one thing I want to keep around if it's possible. Are there any cons to retarding the deceleration spark? The sound is awesome..but not worth problems

I disagree, sound belongs on a red neck truck lol. I had so many people staring and giving a wtf look.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member

Not that I know of maybe a dirty rear bumper, but hopefully someone from tuning will cone in who knows more.

Zemedici

Established Member
I'll shoot the video depending on what time i get home or I'll shoot it tomorrow, didn't forget about ya buddy :beer:

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
From my experience, it's been the type of mufflers I'm running. My macs would bubble/pop during engine braking but once I put magnaflows on it was gone. I miss it too, but everything else about the mags is what I want so they're staying. For now. Heh

jaehow23

Established Member
From my experience, it's been the type of mufflers I'm running. My macs would bubble/pop during engine braking but once I put magnaflows on it was gone. I miss it too, but everything else about the mags is what I want so they're staying. For now. Heh

yeah, it seems like there are traits from one part i like that I can't get when it's paired with another part, that also has a trait i like. But hopefully that will be put to rest with some videos soon.

Users who are viewing this thread