Do you crossfit?

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
I actually lost one of my buddies to Crossfit. He got into it like it was a cult, started living and breathing the shit and hanging out exclusively with Crossfit people. All they talk about is their work outs and want nothing to do with you if you're not in the club. Once a few guys were begging a bar waitress to come work out, not even hitting on her. HEY YOU SHOULD COME WORK OUT. What happened to hey can I buy you a drink sometime? :shrug:

The 'gyms' are ridiculously barebones for the price they charge. Basically some pipes and steel bars for pull ups, rope climbs, and free weights. Where is the rest of the $$$ going?

After seeing a few 'competitions', it looks like an injury waiting to happen.

Last edited:

Carbd86GT

You're Gator Bait
Established Member
I do it, started almost 1 month ago. I just got so tired of the regular gym routine, it's so boring and it's not a very practical type of strength in my opinion. When the zombie apocalypse comes, who are the ones going to live? The ones who can run, jump, and lift pretty heavy weight while having great cardio, or the guys who spend all day doing tri's and bi's that bench 1000 lbs? :coolman:

It's just something that keeps me interested because it's always different. Just like SID said, just do something that keeps you going.

And yes, there are some gyms that have trainers that have ZERO business teaching other how to lift and such, and that's what I like about my gym as my trainers have degree's in Kinesiology/Exercise Physiology, as well as several certs in strength development and functional training, and a lot of experience. They constantly go around the gym and correct any false movements that can cause someone to hurt themselves. I've heard bad stories from other gyms.

But for me, I've never trained so hard and felt so good after a workout. I also do Olympic Weight Lifting before or after the daily workout, just depends on the day.

*EDIT*

Oh, and the chicks that work out at my crossfit gym are HAWT, and badasses. One of my trainers is very VERY attractive as well.

And a little info about where I go and who does the training...

http://www.gardenscrossfit.com/coaches.html

Last edited:

tnuce10

Established Member
Just watched that video...

So these morons promote squatting and deadlifting with no belt?
If I tried that, I wouldn't be able to walk right for a week.

Also...lulz at the 7mo pregnant lady lifting. Prolly not a great idea...

Synyster06Gates

SVT Poster
Established Member

You shouldn't need a belt unless doing heavy singles or triples. Using a belt with lower weight will only keep your lower back and core from having to work as hard, resulting in less progress.

tnuce10

Established Member
You shouldn't need a belt unless doing heavy singles or triples. Using a belt with lower weight will only keep your lower back and core from having to work as hard, resulting in less progress.

I usually do heavy doubles and having some lower back issues, the belt really helps. Hell, I use it leg pressing sometimes.

Even doing light squats with no belt will leave me with a sore back for a few days

Carbd86GT

You're Gator Bait
Established Member

When we do 1,2 or 3 lift max deadlifts and squats, it's up to the person lifting if they want to wear a belt or not. I choose not to, but many others do. It's not a crossfit thing, it's a personal thing.

deadpres

everyday is caturday
Established Member
Paying for 1 month and creating a routine sounds like a plan. However, the owner and members I've met so far seem like good people..I'd hate to just get in and ditch the place. We'll see how it works out

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
I do it but I do it on my own. Thing is I've been doing my own version of CrossFit for well over 10 years now. It's not a new concept at all its just been re-packaged and promoted well this time around. There are some really great benchmark workouts that are worth doing from time to time. Fran is probably the best example that comes to mind. Who ever invented Fran was a ****ing genious, even though it is such a simple workout it is one of the best workouts to measure overall muscular endurance, stamina, speed and explosiveness.

Anyone with a little knowledge when it comes to propper lifting and a little bit of creativity can come up with their own WOD easily. I have my own lifting schedual during the week and incorporate CrossFit at least once but usually twice throughout the week. In my opinion its not really for creating lots of muscle but rather great muscular and cardio vascular endurance in combination. For us military guys its a great training tool to add to mundane Army PT. I would also agree with the notion that running through an obstacle course over and over for an hour would get about the same result.

terrible one

American Made
Established Member
Have a few buddies that do it. I'll admit they are all in really good shape, but as others have said the price is too much for me. $135 a month around here.

Blown 89

Established Member
Not a fan,

But mostly because of the people who do it and their egos and then the price. Also when it got popular I was doing P90X at the time and people doing crossfit would talk all kinds of crap about P90X yet I could keep up with all the stuff they were doing. So that got very annoying
I'm convinced P90X and crossfit are both cults by the way their users act.

oooooh snap

Stable Genius
Established Member
do yourself a favor and try a mike mentzer workout for a few months. skip to 2:30 of vid 1 to get to the meat and potatoes.
[youtube_browser]tcMOG0ECqDU[/youtube_browser]

[youtube_browser]QhYlg1ulqME&feature[/youtube_browser]

there is the full video on youtube, it's about 75 minutes or so, but well worth it. i changed up from the conventional bodybuilding & power lifting routine to a mentzer type approach. slightly better muscle gains, much more easier on the joints, and the cardio i get from a workout is insane. i couple that in with 1 day or heavy cardio and 2 days of walking (taking my dog on a long walk or walking home from work).

i like the general idea of crossfit, which is taking people out of the normal 2 dimensional plane of weight training, however it's too much of a fad so you have many people who don't know wtf they're doing, and it's a major source of injuries due to stupidity (which if you're asking if you should do it or not, you'll fall victim to it.)

Last edited:

SOCOMech

Established Member
I do it, started almost 1 month ago. I just got so tired of the regular gym routine, it's so boring and it's not a very practical type of strength in my opinion. When the zombie apocalypse comes, who are the ones going to live? The ones who can run, jump, and lift pretty heavy weight while having great cardio, or the guys who spend all day doing tri's and bi's that bench 1000 lbs? :coolman:

It's just something that keeps me interested because it's always different. Just like SID said, just do something that keeps you going.

And yes, there are some gyms that have trainers that have ZERO business teaching other how to lift and such, and that's what I like about my gym as my trainers have degree's in Kinesiology/Exercise Physiology, as well as several certs in strength development and functional training, and a lot of experience. They constantly go around the gym and correct any false movements that can cause someone to hurt themselves. I've heard bad stories from other gyms.

But for me, I've never trained so hard and felt so good after a workout. I also do Olympic Weight Lifting before or after the daily workout, just depends on the day.

*EDIT*

Oh, and the chicks that work out at my crossfit gym are HAWT, and badasses. One of my trainers is very VERY attractive as well.

And a little info about where I go and who does the training...

http://www.gardenscrossfit.com/coaches.html

X 1k........

I've been doing it for a while now and have learned that most of the negative comments made are due to not knowing enough about it or misunderstanding the purpose of it. Like stated above, there are trainers and idiots who do it wrong and give the community a bad rep but if you were to experience a gym that has it down, it's incredible. As for having ego's about it, that's not Crossfit, that's the person. As a matter of fact, it's a well known saying in Crossfit..."leave your ego at home". The prices are usually expensive compared to a normal gym and yes, some are overpriced but, you're not going to a normal gym. It's getting involved and training for a sport, with a coach, each time you go. I tried doing it on my own for a while but it's just so much better having someone there pushing you and monitoring your form. Proper form is a MUST and it is one of the most preached principals.....if you can not keep good form, then you need to scale down, which is one of the great things about it. Stories of people getting hurt are not due to Crossfit, it's due to the person either doing too much weight or not using proper form. Spoon's make people fat anyone? It's not about being the strongest, fastest, most powerful or most enduring, it's about being good at all aspects.....total fitness. I never thought I would be doing any kind of olympic lifting but again, that's one of the great things about Crossfit, it incorporates multiple types of strength and conditioning techniques. Of course, as with ANY routine, you're only going to get out what you put in.....proper diet and self discipline are the key components. Crossfit isn't the reason for some of the bad stories, the indiduals are.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

VNOMIS

Yeah, I said it
Established Member
X 1k........

I've been doing it for a while now and have learned that most of the negative comments made are due to not knowing enough about it or misunderstanding the purpose of it. Like stated above, there are trainers and idiots who do it wrong and give the community a bad rep but if you were to experience a gym that has it down, it's incredible. As for having ego's about it, that's not Crossfit, that's the person. As a matter of fact, it's a well known saying in Crossfit..."leave your ego at home". The prices are usually expensive compared to a normal gym and yes, some are overpriced but, you're not going to a normal gym. It's getting involved and training for a sport, with a coach, each time you go. I tried doing it on my own for a while but it's just so much better having someone there pushing you and monitoring your form. Proper form is a MUST and it is one of the most preached principals.....if you can not keep good form, then you need to scale down, which is one of the great things about it. Stories of people getting hurt are not due to Crossfit, it's due to the person either doing too much weight or not using proper form. Spoon's make people fat anyone? It's not about being the strongest, fastest, most powerful or most enduring, it's about being good at all aspects.....total fitness. I never thought I would be doing any kind of olympic lifting but again, that's one of the great things about Crossfit, it incorporates multiple types of strength and conditioning techniques. Of course, as with ANY routine, you're only going to get out what you put in.....proper diet and self discipline are the key components. Crossfit isn't the reason for some of the bad stories, the indiduals are.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

You typed all that out on a phone. Holy shit could you not wait until you got home.

Fuerza

Established Member
do yourself a favor and try a mike mentzer workout for a few months. skip to 2:30 of vid 1 to get to the meat and potatoes.
[youtube_browser]tcMOG0ECqDU[/youtube_browser]

[youtube_browser]QhYlg1ulqME&feature[/youtube_browser]

there is the full video on youtube, it's about 75 minutes or so, but well worth it. i changed up from the conventional bodybuilding & power lifting routine to a mentzer type approach. slightly better muscle gains, much more easier on the joints, and the cardio i get from a workout is insane. i couple that in with 1 day or heavy cardio and 2 days of walking (taking my dog on a long walk or walking home from work).

i like the general idea of crossfit, which is taking people out of the normal 2 dimensional plane of weight training, however it's too much of a fad so you have many people who don't know wtf they're doing, and it's a major source of injuries due to stupidity (which if you're asking if you should do it or not, you'll fall victim to it.)

Those are pretty interesting videos. Mike Mentzer was a beast at training.

NEp8ntballer

Established Member
Crossfit should have the same rule number one as Fight Club, not because it's a huge ****ing secret society about to unleash hell on the world but because nobody but other crossfitters gives a **** about your workouts.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
CrossFit is a great workout and I feel much better than 80% of the people at the gym will get in less time as well. Being in shape is more than having muscles and little fat. Most gym rat/routines do not incorporate getting back into peak physical condition into the workout crossfit does.

Having said that I dont go because of expense. I joined a gym instead and now am getting into TRX. I am as spent after trx than I was with crossfit. Right now it is 2 or 3 days at the gym and one $10 hour workout with TRX a week.

DKS2814V

Moderately Modified
Established Member
I do crossfit. Sometimes not as often as I'd like...but, I'm definitely a proponent of it. Average is about 3 times a week.

It's definitely a challenge, but I enjoy the competition within the class, and the variety of workouts I get. My buddy owns the gym, so I get "pushed" a lot harder than I would if I were to just create my own workout. Plus, at the gym I go to, he has a full free weight set-up so I can choose to do crossfit, or work out using my own routine.

As far as the cult thing...yeah...it is, in a sense. But, it's your choice to get all involved like that. I leave work, catch a class, head home while most sit around and talk about "their form" or other mindless info that doesn't interest me.

However, I'm not the typical gym rat type of person, I don't think. I work out so I can stay in shape, and eat fantastic food and enjoy some good beers!

Users who are viewing this thread