Do you crossfit?

bunk22

Established Member

bunk22

Established Member
Lol for $100 a month I would rather join a boxing gym and bruise some crossfit guys ego if I ever got into an altercation.

Many of my crossfit buddies are MMA/BJJ types who probably wouldn't be embarrassed by anyone from a boxing gym. But I tend to agree with you, I'd rather spend the money elsewhere, like rolling on the matt with BJJ buddies and do crossfit on my own. Some of my crossfit buds are monsters though, workout twice a day, WOD plus rolling or two WOD, etc. I don't have the time or patience lol One of my fellow Navy pilots is crossfit fiend, runs 50 mile marathons while his strength for his weight is amazing.

Last edited:

WeakSauz

Established Member
I did CrossFit in college for about 6 months and lost a ton of muscle mass and strength. I was eating over 4,000 calories at that... CrossFit "crosses" the line of physical exertion and I'd bargain to say that is is way too stressful on the Central Nervous System. Not to mention doing repetitions of snatches or similar Oly lifts (against a clock!!) is extremely stupid.. and dangerous. I recall one WOD where we did lunges for 500meters holding a 45lb plate overhead. What's the need for that? That's not practical and is just dumb. And don't get me started on kipping pullups...

What I've learned about being "fit"....

Bottom Line----

Do heavy back squats below parallel, heavy deadlifts, barbell bench press, standing military presses, weighted dips and chin-ups, and olympic lifts. Also become fast. Sprint. Run Hills. Throw a weight vest on and give it all you've got for 500m.. Time yourself.. get faster. Record your lifts. Get on a power program like Wendler's 5/3/1. Get stronger. Eat like a fiend.

Have you ever seen a fat, out of shape fast person that can squat 500lbs? No.

That's my opinion of "CrossFit wods".. overpriced and overrated

Carbd86GT

You're Gator Bait
Established Member
I did CrossFit in college for about 6 months and lost a ton of muscle mass and strength. I was eating over 4,000 calories at that... CrossFit "crosses" the line of physical exertion and I'd bargain to say that is is way too stressful on the Central Nervous System. Not to mention doing repetitions of snatches or similar Oly lifts (against a clock!!) is extremely stupid.. and dangerous. I recall one WOD where we did lunges for 500meters holding a 45lb plate overhead. What's the need for that? That's not practical and is just dumb. And don't get me started on kipping pullups...

What I've learned about being "fit"....

Bottom Line----

Do heavy back squats below parallel, heavy deadlifts, barbell bench press, standing military presses, weighted dips and chin-ups, and olympic lifts. Also become fast. Sprint. Run Hills. Throw a weight vest on and give it all you've got for 500m.. Time yourself.. get faster. Record your lifts. Get on a power program like Wendler's 5/3/1. Get stronger. Eat like a fiend.

Have you ever seen a fat, out of shape fast person that can squat 500lbs? No.

That's my opinion of "CrossFit wods".. overpriced and overrated

I've never seen a truly in shape, fast person that can back squat 500 lbs. I'm not talking physical appearance, take that persons BP or HR and come back to me. Make them use moderately heavy weight with high reps, talk about a gasser. And about a fast, fat, out of shape person that squats 500 lbs... Yeah, NFL O and D lineman. They might not look real fast on TV next to the other track stars, but I bet they are faster than 90% of the people in this thread, and they are NOT healthy people.

Not saying crossfit is better or the other way around, but your point is easily debunked.

Last edited:

WeakSauz

Established Member
I've never seen a truly in shape, fast person that can back squat 500 lbs. I'm not talking physical appearance, take that persons BP or HR and come back to me. Make them use moderately heavy weight with high reps, talk about a gasser. And about a fast, fat, out of shape person that squats 500 lbs... Yeah, NFL O and D lineman. They might not look real fast on TV next to the other track stars, but I bet they are faster than 90% of the people in this thread, and they are NOT healthy people.

Not saying crossfit is better or the other way around, but your point is easily debunked.

I respect your opinion, and I'm not one for "internet wars" lol. Im just typing all this in a friendly way. :)

However, I know many people younger than 30 that can full-squat 495-500 and run an 80 second 400m.. which is "good" but nothing spectacular. All of these people are college-aged and are natural. It's "faster" than the average guy. I can squat 445 and I'm pretty sure I can run a 400 faster than 80sec. I think the key is strength and mobility. Mobility meaning "move your ass and stop being a lazy traditional powerlifter". Lol.

Im sitting at 10-12% BF right now.. not exactly shredded, but it gets the job done, can see abs, and I'm cool with it. BP in the 120's and HR is fine. As far as high reps, I'm sure you've tried a 20 rep squat program if you do CrossFit. I knocked out 245x20 last time I did it, and it was in fact a gasser! haha. I need to try it now, its been 6 months or so. Not saying I'm some sort of elite athlete or something, but I feel like I'm doing okay with a traditional approach.

Bottom line, im sorry if I came off disrespectful to CrossFitters. If you train SMART and have a plan, it doesn't really matter what you do, you'll get where you want to be. I had fun doing CrossFit, I'll admit. But I just didn't like the haphazardness of it.
I'll agree NFL O and D Linemen are prob very strong, unhealthy and decently quick, but not fast. I 100% agree there, good point

Last edited:

Carbd86GT

You're Gator Bait
Established Member
There is no offense taken and it wasn't disrespectful at all, everyone has their preference. I did the whole "power lifting" and 5/3/1 and while it does increase strength, there is 0 cardio involved. I've always been a very athletic person, so when I found out there was a gym right down the road from me, I had no issue dropping the regular gym routine and doing something that doesn't get boring after 2 months.

As far as high rep weights, while most lifters can do plenty of reps of squats or deads, I'm talking doing those same lifts then throw in running, burpees, KB swings, etc. While I can dead 415 (I'm 5'8"-160 lbs), we did an exercise the other day that was 15 one minute rounds of 5x burpees and 6x 135 lb sumo dead lift high pulls. Do this as fast as you can as you start a new round every minute, this routine rewarded speed. Round 9+, I couldn't even finish all 6 high pulls with the burpees in 1 minute. The other larger athletes that actually compete in the games, they also were gassing. Then there's 275 lb dead lifts into running, then lunge, then burpees... It's just the whole thing, for me, that makes it a better work out.

And again, the haphazardness comes from gyms with no care and coaches with no business teaching others. Maybe I am just going to a great gym with great coaches that care more about form than weight which makes it a safer place to workout?

Last edited:

Carbd86GT

You're Gator Bait
Established Member
Crossfit promotes shit form and injury.

False statement. Just because it uses a different variation of a certain movement doesn't PROMOTE poor form or injury. Education and lack of practice promotes poor form and injury. Just because someone does crossfit, doesn't mean they don't do dead hang pull ups. We just did a whole work out this week and last week that required dead hangs.

With ANY exercise, poor form will get you injured. You know how many times I tweaked my shoulder just from shoulder presses when I did 5/3/1? You know how many other people that go to the regular gym get hurt? I guess just doing regular lifts promotes injury as well :bash:

WeakSauz

Established Member
^^ +1 He's right. Some people are just idiots, and when their shit form gets posted on Youtube, etc, it just makes the whole genre of CrossFit look that much more stupid. There's a right and wrong way to do everything. I blame the coaches for a lot of the bad form.

assasyn

Established Member
OP

What part of Houston are you in? I work out at Crossfit of Aces in Spring. You can come try it for free. The attitude there is exactly opposite of what I had heard about CF boxes. All of the trainers/coaches are from the medical field. They put heavy emphasis on form and not weight. They will stop you mid rep if you are doing it wrong. The coaches would rather you do just the bar or a light DB and do it safely and correctly.

I have seen more/better results with the CF approach over anything else I have ever done. I dropped no weight, but 3 belt notches in 5 weeks. I shaved 2 minutes of of my initial benchmark work out in 4 weeks/ 3 days a week.

What I like the best is that I will never be in there for more than an hour. With work and two small kids, I can't spend ten hours or more a week in the gym anymore.

Buyer beware as far as Crossfit goes. There are CF gyms out there that aren't CF certified.

NEp8ntballer

Established Member
False statement. Just because it uses a different variation of a certain movement doesn't PROMOTE poor form or injury. Education and lack of practice promotes poor form and injury. Just because someone does crossfit, doesn't mean they don't do dead hang pull ups. We just did a whole work out this week and last week that required dead hangs.

With ANY exercise, poor form will get you injured. You know how many times I tweaked my shoulder just from shoulder presses when I did 5/3/1? You know how many other people that go to the regular gym get hurt? I guess just doing regular lifts promotes injury as well :bash:

I'm sorry, but any time you try and do something for time or speed form will suffer and having races to get to a certain number of reps promotes injuries. Having the will not to quit and to fight through the pain is commendable outside of a gym in a real life situation but I don't find crossfit shenanigans commendable...

assasyn

Established Member
Why is doing a more efficient pull up a bad thing?

As far as doing reps for time, you're not racing against anyone else (except CF games), you're trying to best your previous time.

deadpres

everyday is caturday
Established Member
OP

What part of Houston are you in?

Buyer beware as far as Crossfit goes. There are CF gyms out there that aren't CF certified.

Im in NW Houston but your location is a little far. Plus, the only chance I get is around 'rush hour' and can only imagine the traffic on 1960. As far as the last statement..I've heard. Thanks for the heads up!

Carbd86GT

You're Gator Bait
Established Member
I'm sorry, but any time you try and do something for time or speed form will suffer and having races to get to a certain number of reps promotes injuries. Having the will not to quit and to fight through the pain is commendable outside of a gym in a real life situation but I don't find crossfit shenanigans commendable...

That's all on the individual and how disciplined they are with their lifts. Crossfit does not say "screw form, just get the reps in the lowest time!", if that's what you think they push, you would be wrong. Maybe I'm just part of a great gym with great trainers? Form > reps for time, you won't see my coaches preach, or actually PRACTICE, anything else.

SOCOMech

Established Member
That's all on the individual and how disciplined they are with their lifts. Crossfit does not say "screw form, just get the reps in the lowest time!", if that's what you think they push, you would be wrong. Maybe I'm just part of a great gym with great trainers? Form > reps for time, you won't see my coaches preach, or actually PRACTICE, anything else.

Agreed. My coach actually makes people use only a pvc if he sees or thinks they may struggle. It's all about making sure you get the form down first, then you can start adding weight. This is the sign of a true CF gym and coach. But alas, people are still going to watch youtube vids and laugh ( rightfully so) and come to a misinformed conclusion about it.

Carb86gt, where do you train? I'm out of Urban Warfit Crossfit in Scottsdale. I'm in the second week of a 10 month long competitor's class that our coach came up with to get ready for next year's games. Those of us doing it are entering any competition that we can get to along the way. Plus we're all going (as spectator's) to this year's games in July.....I'm stoked for that!

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

NEp8ntballer

Established Member
Why is doing a more efficient pull up a bad thing?

As far as doing reps for time, you're not racing against anyone else (except CF games), you're trying to best your previous time.

because you're cheating yourself when you build momentum like that... the military might let you get away with a little kicking but they won't tolerate you flopping on the bar like a fish out of water.

coach? you call your trainer/instructor a coach?:lol: sweet Jesus that's the funniest thing I've heard all night...:D

Carbd86GT

You're Gator Bait
Established Member
Agreed. My coach actually makes people use only a pvc if he sees or thinks they may struggle. It's all about making sure you get the form down first, then you can start adding weight. This is the sign of a true CF gym and coach. But alas, people are still going to watch youtube vids and laugh ( rightfully so) and come to a misinformed conclusion about it.

Carb86gt, where do you train? I'm out of Urban Warfit Crossfit in Scottsdale. I'm in the second week of a 10 month long competitor's class that our coach came up with to get ready for next year's games. Those of us doing it are entering any competition that we can get to along the way. Plus we're all going (as spectator's) to this year's games in July.....I'm stoked for that!

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

I workout at Gardens Crossfit. I'm not doing it to compete or anything, but next year if I feel I can compete in the top 50 in the SE region, I might give it a shot for fun.

coach? you call your trainer/instructor a coach?:lol: sweet Jesus that's the funniest thing I've heard all night...:D

Uh, yeah? Because they coach us along the workouts. What type of qualifications does someone need to be a coach in YOUR eyes?

NEp8ntballer

Established Member
a team that engages in competitions/sporting events on a regular/seasonal basis and also does mentoring for their players/athletes... most anything having to do with the Olympics as well...

Junior00

Hurter Of Delicate Vaginas
Established Member
Premium Member
I remember in high school I started using Arnold's Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding along with a steady diet and cardio and the results were ridiculous for my age. I had stamina and strength. I look at this crossfit, especially the competitions on TV and they look like morons to me. They try to cram everything in as fast as possible, irrespective of form. It's no wonder so many get hurt attempting it. While that might not be the case at all, or even most places, people attempt to repeat what they see on tv.

Carbd86GT

You're Gator Bait
Established Member
a team that engages in competitions/sporting events on a regular/seasonal basis and also does mentoring for their players/athletes... most anything having to do with the Olympics as well...

Then yes, we have coaches... They do all that you just stated above, so I fail to see where your confusion is?

I remember in high school I started using Arnold's Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding along with a steady diet and cardio and the results were ridiculous for my age. I had stamina and strength. I look at this crossfit, especially the competitions on TV and they look like morons to me. They try to cram everything in as fast as possible, irrespective of form. It's no wonder so many get hurt attempting it. While that might not be the case at all, or even most places, people attempt to repeat what they see on tv.

You could say the same about any type of exercise. If a newb tries to reproduce something they see on TV/YouTube, they will hurt themselves with ANY type of basic movement, with weights or without.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread