Do you crossfit?

Junior00

Hurter Of Delicate Vaginas
Established Member
Premium Member
You could say the same about any type of exercise. If a newb tries to reproduce something they see on TV/YouTube, they will hurt themselves with ANY type of basic movement, with weights or without.

I'm speaking of nationally sponsored crossfit meets, especially those that are televised on ESPN. Those are supposed to be "professionals" in the sport at the top tier and while their physiques might be outstanding in many respects, their approach and form is quite the opposite. This is a fad as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited:

Junior00

Hurter Of Delicate Vaginas
Established Member
Premium Member
Uh, yeah? Because they coach us along the workouts. What type of qualifications does someone need to be a coach in YOUR eyes?

Anyone here could coach you also, but is what someone that hasn't had proper training and schooling correct. That's not to say that schooling is the end all be all, but do you really want to leave your body and personal injury to chance by being coached by an "enthusiast" who may or may not have a clue what they are doing? There's always an alternate perspective, but in most cases I try to defer to the one that actually makes sense.

Carbd86GT

You're Gator Bait
Established Member
Anyone here could coach you also, but is what someone that hasn't had proper training and schooling correct. That's not to say that schooling is the end all be all, but do you really want to leave your body and personal injury to chance by being coached by an "enthusiast" who may or may not have a clue what they are doing? There's always an alternate perspective, but in most cases I try to defer to the one that actually makes sense.

I'm guessing you didn't read the whole thread. My COACHES have plenty of degree's in exercise physiology and the like, as well as many level of strength and Olympic lifting certs, and to go a long with that, YEARS of experience and competition. Not all gyms have the luxury to have people training and coaching them like I do, but that's localized to the gym, not the whole "community".

assasyn

Established Member
because you're cheating yourself when you build momentum like that... the military might let you get away with a little kicking but they won't tolerate you flopping on the bar like a fish out

Hooke's law of elasticity is what you are using. You're not building upward momentum. Why do you bring your arm all the way back to throw a ball?

a team that engages in competitions/sporting events on a regular/seasonal basis and also does mentoring for their players/athletes... most anything having to do with the Olympics as well...

Olympic games? That shit cray. They compete for time against one another. That increases the risk of injury and poor form.

Side note. Just finished tonight's WOD.

Warm up was

400m row
2 x 10 para elite push ups
2 x 15 Russian lunges
2 x 10 ring pull ups
2 x 10 back extension
2 x 10 v ups

Skill set - Bench Press 6 x 3 at 70% after 10-8-6 warm up

WOD

10 x 100m sprints.

What's crazy about that?

Last edited:

Carbd86GT

You're Gator Bait
Established Member
This was our workout yesterday...

Team WOD (3-4ppl)
2 Rounds for time:
100 KB Swings (53lbs)
100 Ring Rows
100 Barbell Wipers (95lbs)
400m Prowler Push or 200m sled drag

We opted to do the relay with 200m sled drag with 170 lbs. We had 3 people for the first round, then one dropped off in the second because he is a teacher and had to get to school. It was a solid 40 minute workout and was great.

White608

Go faster
Established Member
My girlfriend does crossfit, she has been doing it for about 6 months. We ride motorcycles (woods) and I can till a big difference in her strength and endurance. She really enjoys it and has fun at CF. I'm glad she has the drive to go and workout to look better/feel better.

Last edited:

Whitten

Grocery Run
Established Member
LOL at this topic, I knew as soon as I saw it it was going to turn into a bicker fest with alot of "Know it Alls" giving their two cents from either side.

I am a cross-fitter I guess you could say, meaning I have been going to my local Gym for the past 1.5 years. I will agree that their is a definite Gym atmosphere depending on which one you go to however I have not had the same "Cultish" experiences that so many people have or are perpetuating because they heard about it from someone else.

Never in my life have I ever seen some fitness routine get this much negatives or nay sayers or this much mis information. I find most of the time the folks that take a stance staunchness against it are either folks that are already fitness minded and are against it because they have their routine and wouldn't change it no matter what or are not even into fitness at all and are just of a mind to jump on a bandwagon to make fun of people for no good reason.

Without getting into a debate on the merits of any type of fitness I will say that without a shadow of doubt in my mind that Cross-fit does work period...you can put to rest myths about it not being effective because I like so many others are living proof that it does. That being said it isn't for everyone and that is ok. I lack the motivation to go to a standard Gym and get positive results because I loose my motivation. In this respect the camaraderie at my Gym coupled with seeing consistent positive results has kept me coming in. Yes it is more expensive than a normal box gym, however my experience is that you are paying not just for the gym but for the trainers and their expertise in assisting you with form and accomplishment of goals.

There are some folks that do get extremely into it and I have met a few elitist Cross-fitters, but your average Joe like me makes up for a bulk of the membership. Lest us not forget Cross-fit was not the genesis of mindless gym rats, no mater where you go some people just become engrossed in their activities no matter if they be Cross-fit or auto racing.

Some words of advice or encouragement:

If you want to check it out to see what it is like, I suggest you try several different gyms in your area to see what the atmosphere is like before you make a 1 month commitment.

Once you decide to commit to a gym assuming that you liked one on your tour, give it atleast 2 months and go 2-3 times per week. You don't have to jump in head first and start eating Paleo and all that...just give your body enough immersion to physical activity for it to start showing you results. If you aren't satisfied with the progress or the atmosphere or just the workouts in general evaluate then if you would want to continue at some other gym Cross-fit or not.

If you join expecting to be he-man in 2 weeks you will fail, if you join expecting to be the best within a year you will be let down, if you join and don't put your heart into making a change in your life then you won't.

Most importantly if you can not do a movement correctly, drop the weight, modify it if you must so that you can work up to the Rx weight...
Cross-fit is similar to guns, it does not hurt people, people hurt people. If you do something consistently wrong you will injure yourself...fact. If you can't do a certain weight yet their is never any shame in modification. If you are at a gym where they berate or shame you for modding...f- that gym, that is not a place where they want you to improve...move on.

I hate hearing people say that Cross-fit guys are snobs, most of us are just normal folks that found a fitness routine that works for us and that keeps us coming back...which in the end is the ultimate goal. I don't poke fun at guys that go to a gym and do nothing but preacher curls, if that keeps them going back and staying healthy ...then hell yes!

My wife is 5 months pregnant and still lifting/ working out. There are some things she has given up doing for safety sake at the gym but lifting properly is not one of them. I heard someone above mention that "lifting can't be healthy for a pregnant woman" I ask on what proof do you stand on with that comment? My wife was fit before she started at CF is even more so now that she has been at CF and has remained that way through her pregnancy. She is healthy, the baby is healthy and when the time comes for her to have this child her body will be strong enough for one of lifes most strenuous activities. A woman who stops working out her body, sits on her ass all day, and eats everything in site is by no means better off and how could she be. Just because she is pregnant doesn't mean that she should take on the life of an invalid...that does more damage to a body than lifting ever has.

NEp8ntballer

Established Member
Hooke's law of elasticity is what you are using. You're not building upward momentum.

except Hooke's law of elasticity does not apply to muscles and muscle groups. muscles are not linear in the force required to stretch and contract them and they do not shrink back to their original length after the force is removed.

Why do you bring your arm all the way back to throw a ball?

obviously not because of Hooke's law of elasticity... probably similar to why I extend my leg backward before kicking something or throwing a punch though which is most likely due to increasing the distance between the start and release/impact point to achieve a greater velocity and force. Even then you need to know when to make contact because if you make contact too late you will not have as much force behind it.

Olympic games? That shit cray. They compete for time against one another. That increases the risk of injury and poor form.

if you honestly think that this is a valid argument in response to me I can only hope that it hurts to be that stupid.

Carbd86GT

You're Gator Bait
Established Member
LOL at this topic, I knew as soon as I saw it it was going to turn into a bicker fest with alot of "Know it Alls" giving their two cents from either side.

I am a cross-fitter I guess you could say, meaning I have been going to my local Gym for the past 1.5 years. I will agree that their is a definite Gym atmosphere depending on which one you go to however I have not had the same "Cultish" experiences that so many people have or are perpetuating because they heard about it from someone else.

Never in my life have I ever seen some fitness routine get this much negatives or nay sayers or this much mis information. I find most of the time the folks that take a stance staunchness against it are either folks that are already fitness minded and are against it because they have their routine and wouldn't change it no matter what or are not even into fitness at all and are just of a mind to jump on a bandwagon to make fun of people for no good reason.

Without getting into a debate on the merits of any type of fitness I will say that without a shadow of doubt in my mind that Cross-fit does work period...you can put to rest myths about it not being effective because I like so many others are living proof that it does. That being said it isn't for everyone and that is ok. I lack the motivation to go to a standard Gym and get positive results because I loose my motivation. In this respect the camaraderie at my Gym coupled with seeing consistent positive results has kept me coming in. Yes it is more expensive than a normal box gym, however my experience is that you are paying not just for the gym but for the trainers and their expertise in assisting you with form and accomplishment of goals.

There are some folks that do get extremely into it and I have met a few elitist Cross-fitters, but your average Joe like me makes up for a bulk of the membership. Lest us not forget Cross-fit was not the genesis of mindless gym rats, no mater where you go some people just become engrossed in their activities no matter if they be Cross-fit or auto racing.

Some words of advice or encouragement:

If you want to check it out to see what it is like, I suggest you try several different gyms in your area to see what the atmosphere is like before you make a 1 month commitment.

Once you decide to commit to a gym assuming that you liked one on your tour, give it atleast 2 months and go 2-3 times per week. You don't have to jump in head first and start eating Paleo and all that...just give your body enough immersion to physical activity for it to start showing you results. If you aren't satisfied with the progress or the atmosphere or just the workouts in general evaluate then if you would want to continue at some other gym Cross-fit or not.

If you join expecting to be he-man in 2 weeks you will fail, if you join expecting to be the best within a year you will be let down, if you join and don't put your heart into making a change in your life then you won't.

Most importantly if you can not do a movement correctly, drop the weight, modify it if you must so that you can work up to the Rx weight...
Cross-fit is similar to guns, it does not hurt people, people hurt people. If you do something consistently wrong you will injure yourself...fact. If you can't do a certain weight yet their is never any shame in modification. If you are at a gym where they berate or shame you for modding...f- that gym, that is not a place where they want you to improve...move on.

I hate hearing people say that Cross-fit guys are snobs, most of us are just normal folks that found a fitness routine that works for us and that keeps us coming back...which in the end is the ultimate goal. I don't poke fun at guys that go to a gym and do nothing but preacher curls, if that keeps them going back and staying healthy ...then hell yes!

My wife is 5 months pregnant and still lifting/ working out. There are some things she has given up doing for safety sake at the gym but lifting properly is not one of them. I heard someone above mention that "lifting can't be healthy for a pregnant woman" I ask on what proof do you stand on with that comment? My wife was fit before she started at CF is even more so now that she has been at CF and has remained that way through her pregnancy. She is healthy, the baby is healthy and when the time comes for her to have this child her body will be strong enough for one of lifes most strenuous activities. A woman who stops working out her body, sits on her ass all day, and eats everything in site is by no means better off and how could she be. Just because she is pregnant doesn't mean that she should take on the life of an invalid...that does more damage to a body than lifting ever has.

:beer:

Just a normal guy here that found a place that keeps me coming back!

Users who are viewing this thread