Do you get nervous while driving your Cobra?

big dad

Established Member
I'll tell all of you something my father taught me while I was learning to drive over 55 years ago. " Son, just remember, when you're out there driving, you're driving every other son of a bitches car".

Truer words were never spoken, and it has served me well over the years, especially when I'm on a bike.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I've always been nervous taking my car out. Generally while driving in town, not so much out in the country. I also try not to drive it at certain times of the day, when traffic is at its peak.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
I am on guard for the idiots out there....but honestly, I try not to be too nervous driving. It's kind of like golf.....if you worry too much about the water hazard or out of bounds..you'll hit the bitch right in there lol. Think positive and have fun.

When I really get nervous is parking it, like when I take it to the little Lowes parking lot gatherings on an occasional Friday night....people that want to paw it or have little kids...those scare me. And then the occasional idiot that wants to spin tires in the thru ways....those people piss me off and get me worried. Lol

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
It used to be that when you saw a car swerving or driving erratically, you would assume the driver was drunk.
Now, sadly it's all these idiots driving around texting/watching YouTube/checking those super important emails/talking on the phone.

Recon

Established Member
Don't have a cobra (yet) but there's a few cars that we're protective over. Which I guess it really depends what you're taught when learning to drive.

TP03

Established Member
I get nervous almost every time I take my car out but for different reasons than most. I live in rural WI and have close calls with deer quite frequently, especially this time of year. Also in late spring I get nervous about when the neighbors are spreading manure. Always an adventure trying to miss the big ones left behind on the roads.

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
I absolutely refuse to drive mine in the city. I'm kind of a pessimist so I am just waiting on it to get smashed. Then I'll just be like, "that was fun while it lasted". But like 03Cobra said, I really don't drive it so I rest easier

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
I always drive slow in town and leave space between me and other drivers. As others have said I do fear hitting a deer, out in the country they pop out of the woods so fast.
Parking lots are horrible, I always park in the middle of no where in a corner. Tonight I came out of a dinner and there was a suv parked close to the line next to me, I looked up and down the car for door dings. Luckily nothing otherwise he would have got a keyed up SUV.

RAIDERS

Established Member
I do . Mostly stop at the redlight . I always look back in rear mirror and make sure they stop lol

OETKB

bad attitude
Established Member
....or have little kids...those scare me.

I was at a small show a couple of years ago. I woman with a baby stroller and a three year old behind her were walking between the cars while I was standing there ogling a Chevelle. Next thing I know the kid produced a Hot Wheels car and ran it down the side of the whole length of the Chevelle before I could open my mouth. She realized what was happening and snatched it out his hand at the end of his run. I had to just walk away. Holy crap.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Lots of dumb people doing dumb things on the road. All you can do is drive defensively and leave distance ahead for reaction.

I am most concerned when I take the 00R out.
This. I honestly have never worried unnecessarily about what could happen to my vehicle when driving or parking, whether it was my '03 Cobra or my Callaway Camaro. I just drove it and was as aware as I could be of others. Being paranoid about what "could" happen jobs you of the joy/fun of driving cars like this. And when parking I always chose a space that was considered "safe". Heck, nothing is guaranteed. Cars are made for transportation.....and fun if they're high performance. :)

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
On a side note, even car shows with cars parked can be a challenge, as OETKB showed in his post above. I was at a show about 10 years ago and there was a '69 427 Vette (gorgeous) that had just gone through a complete restoration. The owner spent a lot of money on the restoration. So I hear a Chevelle revving, see it do a mild launch and apparently the throttle stuck. BAM! Smack into the Corvette. Heavy damage! To say that the owner of the Vette was pissed is an understatement. And we all know that inherent dangers of going to a Mustang venue. LOL. Can't worry about everything. Stuff happens. Just be a proactive as possible without be paranoid I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread