Do you think I have a bad fuel filter or just bad fuel?

BLUEPSTU

Veni Vidi Vici
Established Member
Been cold and icy here lately so I haven't been able to take the cobra out. I would still try to start it up once a week and let it run for about 10 minutes or so. I filled up the tank about a month ago. This weekend I took it out and drove it for the first time since I put gas in it. As it was idling in the garage the rpms were going back and forth, and it seemed like it would cut off. When I started driving it, it really hesitated and almost seemed like it would cut off as I tried to give it just a little above normal acceleration. I started it up again today, and it did the same thing on start up. Could it be one of the things I mentioned in the title? It seems like it did this last winter and eventually went away so I just chalked it up to bad fuel? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
If you havent change the fuel filter in a year i would do that. Even its bad gas that can cause the filter to go bad too.

MG0h3

Established Member
Was your battery dead for a long time? Might be doing an idle relearn.

Ive never seen that cause issues while driving though. How long did it sit?

Blueline

Established Member
Worst thing you can do is run the car for 10 min and shut it off. You are creating condensation in the oil.

Check your maf or air filter to make sure no critter made a next in there or chewed any wiring.
GL

BLUEPSTU

Veni Vidi Vici
Established Member
Just got a new battery several months back. It sat for several weeks.
Was your battery dead for a long time? Might be doing an idle relearn.

Ive never seen that cause issues while driving though. How long did it sit?

Gotcha.
Worst thing you can do is run the car for 10 min and shut it off. You are creating condensation in the oil.

Check your maf or air filter to make sure no critter made a next in there or chewed any wiring.
GL

No I didn't. Should I?
Did you out any stabilizer in your fuel?

Tractionless1

Established Member
Add Startron to your current fuel in the correct dosage amount. It will clean it up enough for you to drive it (off boost) until you can refill with fresh fuel. Next time you store treat wtih Startron and run some through the motor by taking short drive. Post back your results please.

BLUEPSTU

Veni Vidi Vici
Established Member
Gotcha. Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.
Add Startron to your current fuel in the correct dosage amount. It will clean it up enough for you to drive it (off boost) until you can refill with fresh fuel. Next time you store treat wtih Startron and run some through the motor by taking short drive. Post back your results please.

Users who are viewing this thread