DO you think your Terminator can take the GT500?

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
I don't see why so many 03/04 Termi owners are concerned. Put a ported blower or Whipple and the playing field will be even, even if the GT500 mods. :shrug: Our motors are better built than the GT500(weak rods), so I don't see a motor swap being the answer should you get beaten on the road.

1bad04cobra

Established Member
:dw:
warsurfer said:
the gt500 is 400lbs heavier(even with a solid rear), i am willing to bet that the larger engine is within 50lbs of the 4.6. i would still have an advantage.
Why dont you just even It out to 500

warsurfer

Established Member
dgussin1 said:
the GT500 weighs 215# more than a 03-04 cobra. :bored:

http://www.modernengineuity.com/specs/2007-shelby-gt500.html

i was mistaken, i had the weight for the convertible in my head. i don't see how the 5.4 could be 100lbs heavier, the heads will weigh the same, the blower weight difference will be negligible - in reality the only difference is a little deck height and some crank weight. no way that is 100lbs. anyway this is dumb, the gt500 is a pig plain and simple - i am not saying that the terminator isn't because it is, what ford needs to do is re-tool the mustang using the original 67 die's. take these things back to the 2500lb range and then drop in an aluminum modular plant with forced induction.

quad

Established Member
warsurfer said:
http://www.modernengineuity.com/specs/2007-shelby-gt500.html

i was mistaken, i had the weight for the convertible in my head. i don't see how the 5.4 could be 100lbs heavier, the heads will weigh the same, the blower weight difference will be negligible - in reality the only difference is a little deck height and some crank weight. no way that is 100lbs. anyway this is dumb, the gt500 is a pig plain and simple - i am not saying that the terminator isn't because it is, what ford needs to do is re-tool the mustang using the original 67 die's. take these things back to the 2500lb range and then drop in an aluminum modular plant with forced induction.

Under 3000 lbs would be awesome! But it aint gonna happen. I've heard it's expensive and difficult to bring a hi performance car in at such a low weight. Those lambos are pigs themselves - close to 4000 lbs no?

warsurfer

Established Member

aoc racer

Ford is hella cool
Established Member
i believe i can take on a stock or maybe a slightly modded gt500, i would love to see one on the street soon so i can race it.

z-eater

stock with pulley
Established Member
I have a 2002 Z06 and an 03 cobra, And mine Z06 stock will run side by side with poolied cobra (upper only)
Anyway I m selling Z06 because price of a whole exhaust is same as used KB.

Cuban B

Banned
dgussin1 said:
same day same track the gt500 is faster. Allen ran a 12.3 stock in his 03 cobra. He would probably turn an 11.80 in a stock Shelby. The dude can drive...but so can a lot of us. I notice you're in Santa Clarita...don't take the times you pull off at lacr and try to compare them to any other track, anywhere. The elevation, temp, track prep, etc are amongst the worst in the country.
It's not that Bad.I was raised in Palmdale I was consistent when I ran Grudge night . But time are usally a second off due to 3500+ elevation

dgussin1

If I offend you, IDGAF
Established Member
Cuban B said:
It's not that Bad.I was raised in Palmdale I was consistent when I ran Grudge night . But time are usally a second off due to 3500+ elevation
a second off "isn't that bad". :dw:

Duran

Matador
Established Member
Back to the subject. I see the new GT500 being way faster than the Terminator. The GT500 has more potential. I mean we started at 390hp and 390tq and now we are at 500rwhp with the same blower the car came with. Man; I see the GT500 with mods produced make 650+ hp maybe even 700 with that "nice" big forged 5.4 liter!

Almo

Established Member
dgussin1 said:
figure 100rwhp with a full exhaust, tune, cai, and pulley. Jay O'Connell said 450-460rwhp stock...so 550-560rwhp with a stock blower with a boost upgrade is where we will be seeing the car. That is about 80-100rwhp more than where a 03 cobra with similar mods sits. An 03-04 is ~450-470 with a pulley, tune, cai, exhaust. Now if the new blower is capible of being ported, I don't see why we wont have 600rwhp ported 07's around.

+1 on the ported blowers for 07 pushing 600 to the wheels. I mentioned a good year ago the GT500 would put down 450 to the rear wheels on a dyno in stock form. And I don't see why with more volume from a port, (if a snout/pulley install can be done) one wouldn't see 16-19 pounds and put down 600+ to the wheels on the OEM blower. :beer:

The power you will be able to make will be a given, the weight is the thing that will stand in it's way.

nogrip

Established Member
evryone, please take care of your gt-500's dont abuse them, for i will be purchasing one probably from you all very soon

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
currently, it would be a decent race, but I'd have to give it to the GT500, by next spring, not a chance in hell will a GT500 begin to keep up with me, unless he's switched to a turbo like I'll have by then..

supersport1985

Zar
Established Member
Ok guys i did read the first few pages of this thread and does it really matter which one is faster??? As long as the GT500 can beat a C6 Z06 for about 20K less (sticker price) why even argue? Ford has/had all the fun cars remember that thing called a Camaro and Firebird they are long gone the lost the good old pony war. Now its time for the Cobras to beat the living snot out of the C6 Corvettes and Z06's. Whats this Terminator Vs GT500 hate??? arent they from the same blue oval camp!!!!

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
This thread has been dead for over a month. Please don't revive old threads that have died a good death.

-Jeff

skajake83

far from stock
Established Member
Camaro99SS said:
The 500 should be a little faster stock vs stock, but not by alot. The basic design of the 5.4 is terrible for a performance application because of the huge stroke and small bore. IMO, that's why the 500's aren't much quicker with ~80 more hp and only 200lbs more to tote. But with FI, that problem tends to go away.

What I'm leary of though is durability. 5.4's have a pretty low rod/stroke ratio that will add more stress to the cylinder walls. The Terminator 4.6's aren't exactly loose motors to start out with and have had some problems in this area. I hope Ford loosened the piston too wall clearances up a bit, but I have a feeling they didn't... :uh oh:

Jason

Huge stroke means it has to be a low revving motor with tons of low-end torque it can still be very effective. It works better in heavier vehicles like the lightning. I think the gt500 will be a monster when it is modded, look at the numbers the kb/whipple lightnings put out. Lots of guys put 650wrhp and around 700wrtq with crappier heads, imagine that in a GT500.

Users who are viewing this thread