Dodge Challenger SRT Demon

Recon

Established Member
At least Dodge is telling us stuff about the Demon. They could be like Ford and be all hush, hush like the GT500.

Sent from somewhere in the Twilight Zone.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
There wouldnt be ceramic rotors, those really only have heat benefits on road course driving, there's little to no weight advantage with them.

That picture of the components in the rear is definitely calipers though. Perhaps a "brembo" style aluminum fixed caliper instead of the traditional, cast, floating style.

I also am not sure they would delete the PS system on a car that's probably going to be just shy of 4000 lbs and have a tire on the front that starts with a 3. Talk about an absolute nightmare to drive.

Electric power steering maybe?

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Electric power steering maybe?

I think this is the best answer. Ford went to electric power steering and it seems to be quite good at dropping alot of the weight.

Another is the calipers. I wonder if they went to a separate parking brake caliper? Or maybe a smaller caliper in the rear to help fit drag specific wheels(that the owner supplies)? I know people had a hell of a time fitting 15's to the 05+ Mustang and maybe Dodge saw an opportunity to keep rotor size and just make everything around it smaller to fit a wheel specific to drag racing?

Never_Enough

Established Member
I just read that the Demon will only have one seat. If true, I guess we know it's going after the COPO Camaro & CobraJet market

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
I just read that the Demon will only have one seat. If true, I guess we know it's going after the COPO Camaro & CobraJet market
It'll have one seat and still be able to be daily driven if wanted?
Wow.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
At least Dodge is telling us stuff about the Demon. They could be like Ford and be all hush, hush like the GT500.

Sent from somewhere in the Twilight Zone.

I wouldn't count on a GT500. Doesn't seem to fit the whole global market strategy.

COPO's and CJ's are purpose built drag racing cars that have no VIN. They cannot be titled or driven on the street. Dodge already has this program also with some of the cars having Viper V10's.

I'm not a fan of the look of the Demon with the truck fender flares, but I like the idea of a car packing this much HP and a DR from the factory. Alas Ford will never go after this market since they finally figured out how to get a car to oversteer instead of understeering like a boat.

ibleedblue65

Established Member
I know I would not pay $100k for a current Dodge. I drove a Challenger HC & it did nothing for me. JMO. Give me a used Gen5 Viper for $75k or whatever.

To each his own. I'm definitely not a dodge guy but the hellcats are sick. Getting an 8 speed car into the 9's at 140 is just a pulley, injector, fuel swap away. Theres a bunch of cats making 1100-1200 whp with simple bolt ons(nitrous). They're pretty legit and the aftermarket/tuning is getting better. I suspect we might see a cat go 8's this year stock blower, heads, cam etc. Plus they're torque monsters, something I always loved about the L, making them a bunch of fun for daily/street duty.

Last edited:

earl lee

Established Member

Zemedici

Established Member
They built the GT350 and it was only for NA.

and drove away an entire portion of their customer base, as these individuals who care more about speed vs 'how nimble it is on the track' are now buying hellcats. Hell probably 80% of the HC owners that come through my shop used to have 13-14 GT500s, and were pushed toward the HC because the GT350 is so unappealing to their tastes / desires.

There should have been a GT350 for the track guys, and a GT500 for the guys who couldnt care less about tracking a car. Like they did with the Boss 302

Eatonualive281

Established Member
Latest vid is out.

http://www.autoblog.com/2017/02/02/the-2018-dodge-challenger-srt-demon-crate-video/

So if you buy one you'll get your crate with your name engrave on it and race track stuff in it.

This amazing that a car company is going back to doing this kind of stuff. I seriously question how much this thing is going to cost. I just hope FCA dont **** this up with supply issues or something.

What Dodge did here is genius! The car comes with 4 drag radials so it can meet certain standards to sell off the lot... Then gives you two front runners to put on after you drive it away! That was such a brilliant idea. I love the tool kit and all the other things that are in the Demon Box. This is great!

This is so utterly cool that a car company is building stuff like this!

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
and drove away an entire portion of their customer base, as these individuals who care more about speed vs 'how nimble it is on the track' are now buying hellcats. Hell probably 80% of the HC owners that come through my shop used to have 13-14 GT500s, and were pushed toward the HC because the GT350 is so unappealing to their tastes / desires.

There should have been a GT350 for the track guys, and a GT500 for the guys who couldnt care less about tracking a car. Like they did with the Boss 302
I think with the new Raptor, the RS, the GT350, and the FGT, there wasn't a lot of room left at that point to be building a GT500 with the team they had. Even DBK mentioned this.

When it comes out they will likely gain a solid number of their "drag racing" market back. The GT350(R) was important, because it got the Porsche/BMW guys looking in their direction.

Users who are viewing this thread