Does anybody else think the 5.0 'Coyote' doesn't sound very good?

scott_0

Established Member
it's the odd ass firing order they use, makes it sound a bit odd, long tubes definitely help but these cars still don't sound as good as the old push rod 5.0, or the 4.6 for that matter

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
my coyote f-150 with solo performance cat back sounds like a popcorn machine under full load. Idle doesn't have much depth or throat to it. Midrange rpm under light acceleration sounds decent but nothing to brag about.

2vs sound way better. I dont see how anyone can argue otherwise.

LS2GTO

Established Member
Muffler after the axle will do that. Doesn't give the exhaust any chance to self resonate and mellow out before exciting like the Muffler location a fox/sn chassis does.

This , and firing order ,make all the difference.

This right here. Mufflers before the axles sound infinitely better and more refined than after.

Lankhoss

Established Member
Coyotes can sound great.

Left is my LS1 Camaro SS.

Right is a stainless works full exhaust, headers, no cats 5.0 with other bolt ons.

[video=youtube;3ag1nalfUSI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ag1nalfUSI[/video]

Here's the race of the same two cars. Not sure why this dude labeled the videos wrong.

[video=youtube;L62m6D_5jKw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L62m6D_5jKw[/video]

Last edited:

o2gt

Established Member
Get some Ford Racing FR500S mufflers like I have. They came stock on the GT500KR and I think they sound fantastic on my car.

I agree. I put those on my 2009 bullitt. they sounded great close to stock sound but with the volume turned up. very good set up.

Sn95Snake

Established Member
I've got a Bassani catback kit on my coyote after having one on my lightning. Good deep nice music above 3K and I can go through a drive thru without killing my engine. Reminds me of a flat head sometimes but they share firing orders. The coyotes going into the new F-150s firing order has changed back to the same as older 4v MOD motors, I'd like to compare one of those truck coyotes to the mustang coyote and see if the sound really changes.
My cousin has a viper, with no cats and maybe a pair of resonators. Sounds like a John Deere at idle and a T-Rex with blue balls when he's on the gas, obnoxiously loud, and angry noise.

The part bolded is probably the funniest comparison I have ever read. I was literally LMAO when I read that.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
5.0's can be raspy depending on what exhaust set up you use. I have a resonator delete Hpipe on mine with Magnaflow mufflers welded in. It's deep with no rasp and sounds great.

Nothing tops my 396 LT1 or 416 LS3 though.

GotHemi?

Hell Kitty Nut Swinger
Established Member
From the very first time ive heard the coyotes, even in stock form i was hugely disappointed. When they brought back the 5.0 i just knew it was going to sound great like the original. Was really expecting it to continue with that signature mustang sound. That wasnt the case. In fact imo it sounds nothing like any mustang from previous years. 2v, 3v, and 4v's all had that sound where you didnt need to see a mustang to know it was a mustang, even from great distances.

Ive heard some good sounding coyotes but not so sure ive ever heard a GREAT sounding one. Luckily sound has absolutely nothing to do with performance apparently cause coyotes perform great where as something as great sounding as a 2v cant touch a coyote in performance.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
In fact imo it sounds nothing like any mustang from previous years. 2v, 3v, and 4v's all had that sound where you didnt need to see a mustang to know it was a mustang, even from great distances.

This is so true.

My apt complex is right along the 163 and 805 split, and I can definitely tell when a modular ford goes flying by or even at part throttle at the merge.

Last edited:

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
Of course....despite all the sonic disdain...I'd take a 2015 Coyote in a heartbeat.

Last edited:

Givens

I wanna go fast
Established Member
Some seem to sound better than other

I still like this

[youtube_browser]-4qTsd2dzM4[/youtube_browser]

XtraTQ

Established Member
It's not quite up there with the exhaust setup I had on my '04 Cobra (UPR O/R X-pipe with Magnaflow catback), but my '14 GT with Boss quad exhaust (no restrictor plates) and GT500 mufflers sound pretty damn good, IMO.

HuntFishCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Chalk up another vote for meh on the coyotes. I'd rate the 4v as the best sounding motor by a long shot, followed by the 2v and pushrod. It really is a mustang sound that you can tell from a mile away and the coyote doesn't give that.

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
Chalk up another vote for meh on the coyotes. I'd rate the 4v as the best sounding motor by a long shot, followed by the 2v and pushrod. It really is a mustang sound that you can tell from a mile away and the coyote doesn't give that.

This^

KushBandit

Established Member
As someone who came from the world of LS and big block chevys, my coyote sounds way too refined. I'd prefer the 2V exhaust note over my coyote any day of the week.

Not to say I don't like how it sounds, it just sounds to refined. Doesn't the new F150 coyote have the old 4.6 firing order?

Users who are viewing this thread