Does anybody else think the 5.0 'Coyote' doesn't sound very good?

Rainmaker

2highPSI
Established Member
Man, Ive been to several meets and have heard alot of Coyote motors and their exhaust setup. I have yet to hear one that I think sounds very good. The motor is great but most do not sound very clean. I think some 4.6 4v (cammed) motors sound amazing, and I am a fan of nearly every pushrod exhaust note, but the 5.0 DOHC just doesn't sound very good to me. Anybody else feel this way? It just sounds too run-of-the-mill and generic, not enough character or soul in the sound.

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
It sounds too refined. I think the 4.6 2V sounds nasty cammed with exhaust. The 5.0 just sounds too clean.

Last edited:

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
There are a lot around me that have way too raspy of a sound. I think some sound good though.

o2sys

Established Member
I love the sound of the coyotes....I don't think my 3v sounds good...with any exhaust

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
I agree. 1999/2001 New Edge Cobra...one of the best sounding Mustangs. Pure 4v N/A V8. Better firing order IMHO. Then again I don't care for an overly loud exhaust on the street below 4k, that is. H pipe over X pipe.

Last edited:

sdoo500

Established Member
My 3v with o/r h and maganaflow cat back probably sounded a little bit better than my 5.0. Wouldn't say it sounds bad though I get compliments all the time

Alien STI

Established Member
I thought the same rainmaker... until I put headers and a x on it then It sounded great. When I hear one with just a cat back it sounds disgusting to me.

Look up 2011 5.0 stainless works full exhaust (should be a grey 2011 5.0... if you don't like that well... lol

Last edited:

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
Most I hear aren't throaty enough, they are either sort of quiet of really raspy. Guy I know has Gibson on his '15 and I thought it was just stock.

PC03GT

Established Member
It's all on the exhaust setup imo. The 5.0s definitely have their own sound though

BladeX10

Established Member
I kind of have to agree. They have a weird sound that i cant really get into. It sounds "hollow" and empty if that makes any sense.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
Seems to me the sound has been hard to get right after Ford moved the mufflers to the back. TClark22 has a very nice setup that sounds good if you ask me (Coyote swapped New Edge) -
[youtube_browser]Bq_vMzbehbo[/youtube_browser]
[youtube_browser]88vqdida3AI[/youtube_browser]

KingBlack

I'm more stupid than I post
Established Member
sorry guys, i agree with the op. Windsor motor wins EVERY TIME
[video=youtube;pnOV0VjkGCc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnOV0VjkGCc[/video]

L8APEX

*Turbo Not to Scale
Established Member
Premium Member
I've got a Bassani catback kit on my coyote after having one on my lightning. Good deep nice music above 3K and I can go through a drive thru without killing my engine. Reminds me of a flat head sometimes but they share firing orders. The coyotes going into the new F-150s firing order has changed back to the same as older 4v MOD motors, I'd like to compare one of those truck coyotes to the mustang coyote and see if the sound really changes.
My cousin has a viper, with no cats and maybe a pair of resonators. Sounds like a John Deere at idle and a T-Rex with blue balls when he's on the gas, obnoxiously loud, and angry noise.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread