Does anyone have pics of the GT500 drive shaft?

SlowSVT

Established Member
I'm curiouse what the GT500 drive shaft looks like. My understanding is that the GT500 guys are not too happy with the set-up being a bit bulky. Does anyone have a picture they can post. Why did Ford go with a heavy 2 peice drive shart over an single peice aluminum one? What's the deal?

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
SlowSVT said:
I'm curiouse what the GT500 drive shaft looks like. My understanding is that the GT500 guys are not too happy with the set-up being a bit bulky. Does anyone have a picture they can post. Why did Ford go with a heavy 2 peice drive shart over an single peice aluminum one? What's the deal?

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=311775&page=4

Page 4 post #78

driveshaftjg5.jpg

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
ac427cobra said:
You try putting over 500 RWHP down on the pavement!! :eek: You'd look pretty evil too!?! ;-) :poke:

should it not be crank power? it does not become rw until after it leaves the rear axles. before that it has to leave the engine, tranny, and drive shaft just to hit the gears in the rear axle. every one of those parts takes thier fair share of the power!?!?!!!!!!??????:shrug:

maybe crankshaft power????

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
ac427cobra said:
You try putting over 500 RWHP down on the pavement!! :eek: You'd look pretty evil too!?! ;-) :poke:

Well, I meant as far as being deadweight compared to aftermarket units that are going in :coolman:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
ON D BIT said:
should it not be crank power? it does not become rw until after it leaves the rear axles. before that it has to leave the engine, tranny, and drive shaft just to hit the gears in the rear axle. every one of those parts takes thier fair share of the power!?!?!!!!!!??????:shrug:

maybe crankshaft power????

Well to put OVER 500 HP down, which most of us are, you need a stout driveshaft. Which means the driveshaft is still handling about 550 HP if you have say 600 at the crank!:-D

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
03 DSG Snake said:
Well, I meant as far as being deadweight compared to aftermarket units that are going in :coolman:

Everything from the factory is going to be heavy and stout. It has to be able to cut the mustard. Once you start trimming weight you also reduce longevity and reliability.

FWIW

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

SlowSVT

Established Member
The Terminator drive shaft is aluminum and I have never heard of even the high HP guys breaking one. Why the 2 peices? Pherhaps it's to quell harmonics. Ford spent a bit more money on the GT500 drive shaft and they NEVER do that without reason.

Isn't dgussin running a 1 peice CF shaft?

SlowSVT

Established Member
That doesn't sound right. If the gas tank got pushed that far forward the drive shaft would be the least of your problems. Besides, it's got that differential between them that's located by 4 torque arms bolted solidly to the chassis.

Do all the SN197 have a two peice drive shaft?

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
SlowSVT said:
That doesn't sound right. If the gas tank got pushed that far forward the drive shaft would be the least of your problems. Besides, it's got that differential between them that's located by 4 torque arms bolted solidly to the chassis.

Do all the SN197 have a two peice drive shaft?

The GTs do, dunno about the sixers

Greg@RET

Established Member
The sixers do also...
100_3810.gif

I heard that Earls Automotive Shelby with the KB keeps breaking driveshafts?

My shelby motor will be running a 1 pc. shaft with a auto :thumbsup:
100_3956.gif

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread