Don't ever buy Snap On tools!

LS2GTO

Established Member
it's like comparing a Yugo to a Bently, both are cars and will get you where you need

No it's not like comparing a Yugo to a Bently. Yes both will get you there, but one will do so in a cabin with TVs, music, massage chairs and a surreal environment while the other will rattle your teeh out from discomfort.

If I chose to use a snap-on socket over a HF socket the former will not pamper me the whole way there. If you give a blindfolded man two ratchets one fitted with a snapon socket and one fitted with a HF socket he will not be able to tell which one is which just by turning the handle of the ratchet. If you drive around the same man from point A to point B in a Yugo then in a Bently as you put it you better believe he will be able to tell the difference between the two.

What I'm saying is, like some others on here, there's some merit to a higher quality thus expensive tool. For the most part, and especially in the OP's friend's case, those are almost unecessary compared to what else is out there.

My brother has tossed enough cheap-o sockets in the trash after they split on that buying the snap-on versions makes more sense than going back out to HF/sears or wherever for replacements.

There's a saying in IT we sometime like to use when you get the same user coming to you for the same damn stupid error no matter how many times you try to explain to the guy how to do it correctly:

"The error is between the keyboard and the chair...nothing we can do about that".

Last edited:

bdcardinal

I Spend car money on guns
Established Member
Premium Member
The only reason I went with a Matco box over SnapOn was the Matco truck driver was a lot cooler than the SnapOn one. Quality wise they are pretty close. The nice thing about the SnapOn and Matco boxes is you can configure them however you want. You get to pick how many and what size drawers, color options, what top is on it, etc. With Craftsman you are stuck with whatever is in the store or catalog.

bdcardinal

I Spend car money on guns
Established Member
Premium Member
What if the Matco truck driver no longer works there one day....

To me that's a silly reason.

At the time the SnapOn guy wouldn't sell unless you used their charge account. The Matco guy liked that I paid everything upfront, except the box I made payments on that. The Matco guy I used changed routes, but I still call him to order stuff and he drops it off at my house. He also moved my box a couple times for free. The current SnapOn guy we have is really cool and makes sure to stop in the parts department and leave me the weekly propaganda.

1wild-horse

Purveyor of missed information
Established Member
You don't just buy Snap-On for the quality. You buy it for the guarantee. You break a socket and you don't have to make a trip to the store, they come to you. Time is money especially in the mechanics world.

They also will do things better than some of the cheap tools you buy elsewhere. Even some of the higher grades like Craftsman. Compare them sometime. It depends on the situation most of the time. A 13mm chrome 3/8 drive deep well or standard, Snap on, MAC, Matco, Craftsman, set them side by side, there are differences. A personal example is 3/8 dr. swivels, hands down I'm only buying from Snap on. I had Craftsman ones and after struggling with some hard to reach things, borrowed a Snap on and it did work better. It was shorter so the angle worked better while it turned.

You have to crawl before you walk, no different in this case. Use what you can afford until you make enough to buy what makes your job a little easier and faster. I didn't buy a Snap on box right away, but I had one after working for a year. Believe me if you are in it everyday and it's weighed down with tools, if it's cheap it won't last. Been in the biz almost 20 years, and I wouldn't want to total up what I've spent, but it got me where I am today and that makes it worth it. By the way, I'm still in the same old Snap on box.

Bullitt1448

Established Member
Same here, been in the same Snap On box 30 years, use it everyday, the cheaper boxes would not stsnd the test if time

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
You don't just buy Snap-On for the quality. You buy it for the guarantee. You break a socket and you don't have to make a trip to the store, they come to you. Time is money especially in the mechanics world.

They also will do things better than some of the cheap tools you buy elsewhere. Even some of the higher grades like Craftsman. Compare them sometime. It depends on the situation most of the time. A 13mm chrome 3/8 drive deep well or standard, Snap on, MAC, Matco, Craftsman, set them side by side, there are differences. A personal example is 3/8 dr. swivels, hands down I'm only buying from Snap on. I had Craftsman ones and after struggling with some hard to reach things, borrowed a Snap on and it did work better. It was shorter so the angle worked better while it turned.

You have to crawl before you walk, no different in this case. Use what you can afford until you make enough to buy what makes your job a little easier and faster. I didn't buy a Snap on box right away, but I had one after working for a year. Believe me if you are in it everyday and it's weighed down with tools, if it's cheap it won't last. Been in the biz almost 20 years, and I wouldn't want to total up what I've spent, but it got me where I am today and that makes it worth it. By the way, I'm still in the same old Snap on box.

i bought a matco tool box from a garage sale a mechanic was having. its a smaller one like you buy at sears. i also have some craftsman boxes next to it. the matco box is beat to hell and scratched up. but functions like its brand new. you could probably drop it off the top of a two story building and it would be fine. i can seriously feel the difference between the two boxes. that being said, i paid $50 for the matco box and $200 for the craftsman lol

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member

i bought a matco tool box from a garage sale a mechanic was having. its a smaller one like you buy at sears. i also have some craftsman boxes next to it. the matco box is beat to hell and scratched up. but functions like its brand new. you could probably drop it off the top of a two story building and it would be fine. i can seriously feel the difference between the two boxes. that being said, i paid $50 for the matco box and $200 for the craftsman lol

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
So OP blames Snap On for friend's inability to handle his finances... Got it.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member

These are the specific examples you'll hear from guys who truly use their tools. I always hear our guys comparing the pros and cons of each of the brands down to specific scenarios.

01turbowolf

ford tech
Established Member
The main difference to me is I'm not afraid of the socket shattering or rounding off the bolt head when trying to loosen rusted up exhaust bolts with a 15 mm socket on a 2ft breaker bar while putting all my weight into it. Which imo snap on semi deep sockets are worth their weight in gold!!

mineralgrey01gt

loud-n-slow
Established Member
I love my Snap On tools. I have an average collection of them starting buying all of them new since our Snap On guy in my area is really good to deal with. Been in the business for 25+ years and has helped me numerous times with tools. I just purchased a box from him. You never get on Snap On credit! The interest rate is sky high. I was quoted 19%. I went and got a loan out at my credit union for much much lower and got my box like that. Its helping me build my credit and I get the money sent right out of my check to there and never miss it. Yes some of my tools from them arent made in america but it doesnt bother me. I buy them so I have to buy them once. I never have to worry about not being able to get them fixed as they are always very helpful to me and my other guys I work with.

mineralgrey01gt

loud-n-slow
Established Member

Perfect way to sum it up. I did the same thing waiting a year then buying one. I wanted to make sure I was staying in the business first. I ended up getting a classic 78 in blue. I love it.

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
I had a snap on tool party at my house a couple years ago and bought a $10k box. I don't think I've even opened all the drawers in it once, but it looks awesome in my garage. The lesson learned is don't buy shit you can't afford. And the op's buddy learned the hard way. If they repo your car, I'm pretty sure they don't give you half of the car back because you've paid half of it off.

Zemedici

Established Member
Another parts guy/tool whore. It is a sick addiction.

Hey there's plenty worse addictions out there! :lol:

Sad part is I just moved into an apartment and don't have anywhere to keep my tools :(

And I need to set up an account with our snap on guy

Users who are viewing this thread