Don't shoot me or murder me with a axe - My Coyote Swapped GT500

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
too bad the OEM Coyote block cant take bigger boost levels without this happening.......... :eek:

View attachment 21431

View attachment 21432

View attachment 21433

I took those pictures ^^^^^. This was my buddys 5.0L. He was running a big Procharger, and made 711rwh when this happened (it happened on the dyno). This was a Boss shortblock, so it was already reasonably built.

Below are the stock rods from the same motor about 6 months prior to the block letting go. These are stock 5.0L Coyote rods, at about 700rwh. And this wasn't just one rod, this was several:

6aa2d9ce.jpg

a346de36.jpg

4763e255.jpg

91f0afb2.jpg

Last edited:

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
And nos is for pussies imo, the bottle always runs out and your left with what the car really runs like.

1320 Junkie

Established Member
I took those pictures ^^^^^. This was my buddys 5.0L. He was running a big Procharger, and made 711rwh when this happened (it happened on the dyno). This was a Boss shortblock, so it was already reasonably built.

Below are the stock rods from the same motor about 6 months prior to the block letting go. These are stock 5.0L Coyote rods, at about 700rwh. And this wasn't just one rod, this was several:

6aa2d9ce.jpg

a346de36.jpg

4763e255.jpg

91f0afb2.jpg

Reminds me of a Dr Seuss book lol

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
Not getting in on the argument since it's comical at best. What is the weight of both the 5.4 and coyote full dressed both having same blowers. I see the 200 lbs but don't think it's accurate. Since the 11s and up are aluminum blocks.

Nice build by the way. I wouldn't waste my time or money but such has life do what you like.

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member

Sam - yes I took those from a thread you had, first pics I could find to illustrate the point

Can they even run a tune without Cylinder #8 letting go?

some guys can.... :idea:

If you look @ those cars the wrong way cylinder #8 lets go.

:banana:

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
What is the weight of both the 5.4 and coyote full dressed both having same blowers. I see the 200 lbs but don't think it's accurate. Since the 11s and up are aluminum blocks.

A TVS powered Coyote, and a TVS powered aluminun 5.4L should be within 100-125lbs of each other. It would be nearly the same difference of the '10 and '11 GT500.

NTXRockr

Established Member
Yea because a baby blower is such a BIG power adder. Since when is a manual a advantage over a 6r80? I bet you would go faster with a mt82 :bored: Yea 5,4 is a little stronger then the 5.0 because they don't let go at 500whp usually but hey you were just starting to tap into that big boy 5.0 potential :bowdown:

Simple 5.4 has made more power and has been faster then the 5.0 n/a. Your car was auto and obiously on a crappy dyno so not sure why you are comparing numbers to a dynojet 6psd car. So let's see the 10.4 @ 135 timeslip curious to see how soft the launch really was :coolman:

My original motor was one of the first month builds, which were notorious for having an issue with the rods failing prematurely. Considering most coyotes running nitrous are in the 550-600whp range and have no issues with busting blocks or bending rods, I'd say mine was definitely a factory flaw. It happens. You see bent rods and busted cylinder bores from boosted guys, and usually is tune related as opposed to mechanical failure as plenty of turbo and blower guys are seeing 900-1200whp+ out of a stock block, just the stock powdered rods are limited to 600-700whp.

A stick has the advantage over a STOCK auto as you can launch in the powerband, stock converter launches at idle or 1500rpm so doesn't benefit from launching at optimum. A converter would offset that of course...but my point was with a stock converter sacrificing time at the launch, a basic bolt on coyote with nitrous is running similar times to some of the more modded Shelby's.

As far as my hp numbers, low reading dyno of 485/500 on a small shot was more like 520/550 on a dynojet. Still 100whp+ less than most of the conservatively modded Shelby's. You guys just said that a tvs coyote is close to the same weight as a tvs Shelby, so my comparison of 3600 to 4000 was pretty accurate. My 60' are usually 1.6x and 1/8 is around 6.5-6.6@104, if that helps you compare mods. Yours tends to be a dyno queen more than others, so how about some times from your build? Or is roll racing on the streets the only place you run now?

NTXRockr

Established Member
I also know first hand that a 5.0 gt with a procharger making 600 to rear wheels with a 6 speed best pass with an amazing driver went 10.87 at 131. It was basically stock with exhaust and gears.
Full weight car and clutch protection.
So if you ran a 10.4 with an auto with a 150 shot and a 135mph means more stuff was done then What you are sharing with us or you took a lot of weight out of the car

You have any time slips or video

I can't find the slips from the last 1/4 track day but I have plenty of 1/8 mile slips showing 6.5-6.7@102-104, 1.5-1.6x 60'. Mostly short tracks around here, but I'll have new 1/4 slips in a couple weeks from our next outing. I do have gopro videos from all my runs too

Last edited:

NTXRockr

Established Member
The cylinder 8 issue was very limited, and was only on certain n/a tunes. Boosted 5.0L's didn't/don't have that problem.

#8 issue was actually a problem in the stock tune that was exacerbated by aftermarket tuners pushing the hp and timing. Once they figured it out, most tuners know how to fix it when doing a new tune on them now.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
Yeah my motor was an April 2010 build. By the end of 2011 model year they finally got through the bad batches. Most 12+ can be pushed 650+ no problem

Then why are most of the bmc guys with a 5.0 barely over 600 if it's no problem?

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member

fangs99

Established Member
Fangs, no doubt your car is fast but instead of posting internet delirium on how the 5.0 is the best motor out there just talk to any of the known engine builders. They will settle this debate for you, to compare the regular gt motor to the cobra jet is comical at best. It has such a slew of upgraded internals over the base motor it's not even funny.

The 5.4 has a lot more R&D time in the aftermarket for go fast parts. I never said the 5.0 was the best engine to land in a Ford engine bay, there are advantages that the 5.4 has over the 5.0L..... Like in my truck. But the power to weight advantage goes to 5.0l and in racing, thats what counts. Was mearly saying that the 5.0L does have it's advantages over the 5.4l..... And some cry baby's in here aka Red3V.... Can't handle that his prize shelby in not the king of the road. But he/she is from Miss. In another 10yrs the 5.0 will be outdated maybe faster than that. Yea stock for stock the 5.4 will make more power but it needs about 200rwhp more to be as fast as a 5.0l GT.... That from a dig or from a roll.

Users who are viewing this thread